Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to convection

Posted by Minker (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 15:01

Hi everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Surely I should have figured this out before today, but is there any trick to cooking a turkey in a convection oven? Should it be 25 degrees lower than the recipe says?

Also, if anyone has ANY idea of what temperature one would cook a turkey at in a Convection Steam oven, that would be great. I saw the pictures the Wolf rep. posted after the turkey was cooked in the Steam oven, but didn't know what temp. she used. I think I am chickening out on using the Steam oven.

Have a wonderful day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to convection

I watched the wolf video and they recommend 325.

o

Near as I can tell, reducing the oven temperature by 25 degrees in the "convection" mode extends the cooking time to roughly what Grandma's recipe called for in her traditional oven.

Cook turkey's and other large chunks of meat by temperature, not by time (although time can be used to estimate when something might be done). Poultry needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees to kill potential pathogens. After that, your turkey is just drying out. Dark [turkey] meat benefits in taste and texture by cooking to 185 degrees; which is what cooking a turkey can be a challenge.

o

I set my convection oven to 325 but ended up using the built in probe. When using that you set temperature you want the meat to be cooked to (170 for turkey) and that's all I had to do. I didn't baste the turkey even once during the cooking. I did have to cover it with foil about half way through so it wouldn't get to brown. In case you didn't convection roast this year here's what it could look like next time.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
My daughter checked out the turkey while it was cooking and asked how could I cook a turkey at 110 degrees. Using the probe, the display shows the temperature of the meat that is cooking not the temperature of the oven. My daughter is still learning to cook and I was glad to see that at least she knew that the number she saw on the oven display was not the right number for the oven temp to be when roasting a turkey. Just had to briefly explain probe cooking.

o

Thanks for the advice! We used 325 and it turned out great!

o

I ended up warming up the oven to 425 and lowering to 325 as soon as I put the turkey into the oven. Turkey was a perfect match for badger's picture. Also no basting and anyone who even thought about opening the oven knew they risked chopped off hands.
Glad it was successful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here