Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dealing with dated accent tiles

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 15:00

Any recommendations on dealing with these 90's accent tiles? (The cherry decals are already gone.) The options are:
Trying to take out the blue tiles and replace with the white tiles (there are enough left over).
Glue the 3D tilestix over them? See below. Probably would use the Delft because of family background.
Use different cover-up, e.g. a metal stick-on tile?
Try to paint the accent tiles white.
Or just leave as is until the 90s look is in.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: TileStix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dealing with dated accent tiles

I would vote for remove and replace with white. It's not like they are right up against the counter edge where you might worry about water seepage.

o

I'd probably just pop them out and replace with white, too.

o

Of course, I didn't realize until now that I have little slivers of blue tile underneath the window :(

o

Can you get any white designs on a clear background to sick on? Kind of like the cherries, but for the blue tiles. Looks like a nice shade of blue.

o

My vote is to remove, but if you are resigned to removing, why not give painting a try first. It's cheap and it's easy. If it works out okay, you can postpone other steps for a while, or forever. And, you could leave the slivers under the sink as paint forever since, they are very unnoticeable.

o

Yes, there are also white tile designs on clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile tattoos

o

Before I went through removing and dealing with trying to match the grout I would try the Delft. If it doesn't work it doesn't break the bank or your labor.

o

change the blue flowered curtain to natural shade/blinds-[the color of the wood trim around counter or floor] and the effect of the blue tile practically disappears....or its impact is greatly lessened. I like the tile,in a way....the curtain would be the "fix"-way easier and probably an overall upgrade because blinds/shades are a feature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here