Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Kitchen remodel, hood dilema

fishymom
11 years ago

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel. The kitchen is in the center of our home, sharing a wall with our living room. The ceiling is vaulted and the wall is open above the current 42" cabinets with standard size crown moulding. Currently, the cooktop with a microwave above is on that wall, along with the refrigerator. We have double wall ovens on the opposite wall and the sink and dishwasher are on a perpendicular wall that is open to the breakfast nook and family room. The new kitchen will have a double oven range with a hood. Ideally, I would like to have the range and hood on the open wall where the cooktop is, mainly because that is the view from the family room where we spend most of our time. I am concerned about how the stack will look from the living room, running up the middle of the house and visible from all part of the living area, as well as the expense of running it up the height of the vaulted ceiling. If I put the range and hood on the opposite full wall, where the double oven is currently, the range and hood will be visible from the dining room, breakfast room and front door, but not the family room. Moving it to the oven wall will also create the triangle with sink, range and fridge, which I am told is a good thing. I don't want to regret not spending the money on the stack, but I just can't see it looking nice from the living room, even though I would like the kitchen side placement better. The only way that I can envision it looking nice is to put a fireplace on the living room side of the wall, but that is not in the budget right now. And being in South Florida, a fireplace is not really a selling point, so no chance of recovering the expense if/when we sell. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (12)