Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen remodel, hood dilema

Posted by fishymom (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 14:59

We are in the process of a kitchen remodel. The kitchen is in the center of our home, sharing a wall with our living room. The ceiling is vaulted and the wall is open above the current 42" cabinets with standard size crown moulding. Currently, the cooktop with a microwave above is on that wall, along with the refrigerator. We have double wall ovens on the opposite wall and the sink and dishwasher are on a perpendicular wall that is open to the breakfast nook and family room. The new kitchen will have a double oven range with a hood. Ideally, I would like to have the range and hood on the open wall where the cooktop is, mainly because that is the view from the family room where we spend most of our time. I am concerned about how the stack will look from the living room, running up the middle of the house and visible from all part of the living area, as well as the expense of running it up the height of the vaulted ceiling. If I put the range and hood on the opposite full wall, where the double oven is currently, the range and hood will be visible from the dining room, breakfast room and front door, but not the family room. Moving it to the oven wall will also create the triangle with sink, range and fridge, which I am told is a good thing. I don't want to regret not spending the money on the stack, but I just can't see it looking nice from the living room, even though I would like the kitchen side placement better. The only way that I can envision it looking nice is to put a fireplace on the living room side of the wall, but that is not in the budget right now. And being in South Florida, a fireplace is not really a selling point, so no chance of recovering the expense if/when we sell. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen remodel, hood dilema

A layout (current and proposed) and maybe some photos would help.

o

Here is the layout with the range and hood on the fridge wall

o

View of the fridge wall from the family room

o

Oven wall layout, the blank space is a where a shelf cabinet will be.

o

Oven wall

o

New cabinets

o

My friend has a similar set up and she used a more modern looking hood and it was fine. In fact she is planning to remodel and convert that area into a island with raised eating counter behind the cook top and she hopes to keep the same Kobe hood. She has a Miele or a kobe hood I think.

o

Shelf cabinet.

o

The sink wall is going to stay as is, except switching the dishwasher and base cabinet and adding a bar height counter.

o

Some details, the pantry is 21" and the 30" range will be flanked by the two 9" cabinets pictured and 15" wall and base cabinet to the right. The hood will be centered with 3-4" between the pantry and wall cabinet.

o

It looks like I am going to ave to make this decision without the benefit of a design drawing. Our KD is out until Dec. 10th and we need to get the cabinets ordered before then. I would really appreciate any input on this, thanks!

o

If the range is on the refrigerator wall, you won't have much working space on either side of it - just 9", right?

I think the kitchen will work better with the range where the cooktop is so that there is more landing space next to it. Is there any need to keep the opening above those wall cabinets? The house might be quieter with that closed off and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose by being open.

Another alternative would be to just put a section of drywall for the vent stack to go up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here