Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone else love french kitchen style?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

After looking through a lot of inspiration pictures, I've decided that french country is definitely for me :)

Does anyone else have a french style kitchen? Is anyone else planning one? Would love to see your pictures, get suggestions, or just share ideas!

Here's my inspiration picture

{{gwi:617005}}

And here's my kitchen plan, so far :)

{{gwi:617014}}

I'm thinking about cream cabinets, with light yellow and french blue accent colors, lots of green with plants and herbs...and sunflowers and lavender. Maybe a metal pot rack over the island/work table. (Still debating which to use.)

What about your space? Thanks for sharing!

Comments (18)

• jgopp
    13 years ago

I love French country style. My remodel is being done in white but with a French country touch by burnishing the edges of the cabinetry. I'm also using the restoration hardware madeline chairs which are "french cafe inspired". I also have a dropped poplar beam ceiling being installed to kind of channel the French country theme. It'll be a mash up of French country and traditional. Hopefully it turns out as good as I'm hoping.

Also your layout looks really nice, I love the sitting area off the side of the kitchen there.

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

Hi,

I love French country, too. I have a finished kitchen that is a little bit country, a little bit French, and a little modern all at the same time.

I have a black enameled French gas stove, which I love, cream colored Schuler cabinets, yellowish crackle subway backsplash, bianco romano granite counter tops, and a stainless farmhouse sink.

Here are some of my pictures:

Before backsplash: {{!gwi}}From Karen's Kitchen Project

Peninsula/Bar area: {{!gwi}}From Karen's Kitchen Project

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jgopp- Thanks, I'm pretty excited about the plan :) Do you have any pictures of your kitchen?

Karena- Beautiful range! I like your stainless steel farm sink, too.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

You know I love french lavender :)

When do you get started on your kitchen?

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

You've probably already seen these, but I'll mention them anyway:

and

The second is much more the U.S. version of "country French style." When I lived in France, no kitchen that where I stayed ever looked like these, but there may be ideas here, nevertheless.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kitchendetective- I haven't seen them. Thank you! Just in time for Christmas :)

Beagle- I'm still in the planning process, since it's a whole small farmhouse remodel. The kitchen is going to be half the first floor! No separate dining room, but I think it fits the farmhouse feel, to have a big kitchen.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

lavender lass, I didn't go with a French country style, but I sure do like it. I'm really looking forward to seeing your kitchen. And the dining area with all those windows will be to die for! Will there be a nice view to admire through those windows?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We live on a farm, so the horses will be eating grass in their pasture, on the other side of the driveway. On the house side of the driveway, there will be garden beds, with roses, sunflowers, lavender, maybe some butterfly bushes, so I think it will be a nice view :)

• homechef
    13 years ago

Mine will be sort of an Americanized Provencal kitchen:). My cabinets are pale yellow with the blue island, stainless appliances and copper sink/hood. I think it's along the same lines as your inspiration picture.

I need to post pictures, but every morning it seems like there are other decisions to be made and when I get home at night, the lighting is not all in yet. I keep trying to get a picture to show the yellow of the cabinets. It's a really pretty color but comes out off white on the pics.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like this pot rack. I think the chandelier is also part of it, but it's very nice :)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Hi Lavender,

Loving your inspiration photo. I saw the Kitchens edition of Fine Homebuilding magazine on the newsstand the other day. There is a kitchen in there with two different shades of blue that is very pretty. It is much more modern than a French country kitchen, but I really liked how they used a light blue and a darker smokey blue. It might be worth a peek. :)

Also, have you seen the kitchen that Sara Richardson did in the farmhouse on Sara's House on HGTV. It features white cabs with a yellow island. Also very pretty and might spark some ideas. I've included a link.

I look forward to seeing your kitchen come together!

Here is a link that might be useful: Country house kitchen by Sara Richardson

• homechef
    13 years ago

Wow, I love all the copper hanging from that pot rack!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cali_Wendy- I love the old farmhouse kitchen! The dining room, too :) Lots of good ideas on that series. I'll have to checkout the Fine Homebuilding magazine...sounds very interesting.

Homechef- It is nice copper. Very french!

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

I think that pot racks are a really great idea if you have the room for them. My DH would have loved a pot rack, but our kitchen is just too small for such a thing. Williams & Sonoma carries a very nice one, too, albeit a bit pricey.

I love Sara Richardon's farm house kitchen. She used IKEA cabinets and had the doors painted. I love the yellow color she used.

Good luck on your kitchen!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, that kitchen is so pretty...and functional. It's making me rethink my whole "table over island" idea. An island would be a great place for a little sink and a baking area :)

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Don't get me started!

Here is a link that might be useful: wm ohs

• toffee-el
    13 years ago

Some old world kitchen pics from old world.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}