Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

to knob or to pull, that is the question

lmgch
9 years ago

wondering how you determined what you were going to put on your cabinetry & drawers. i'm thinking knobs for all the upper cabs and maybe even the top row of lower drawer. and then pulls for the rest.

how did you divide your usage? or did you not divide and simply did all knobs or all pulls.

thanks!

Comments (21)

• Cree55
    9 years ago

We used all knobs because our cabinet guy included them in the price. Pulls probably weren't much more but I personally don't notice in other kitchen's so it was high my list in ours. They look really nice.

• loyalandtrue
    9 years ago

My vote would be for pulls on the drawers. I had knobs on everything until we remodeled a couple months ago and I decided to change things, more for the look than anything else. I love the pulls on the drawers-they open so much easier than they did with the knobs!

• RaMc
    9 years ago

I vote for smooth pulls with no ends sticking out anywhere. I am forever catching my belt loops or my apron pockets or whatever on the pulls - which have these ends that stick out - in this rental house, and I've had the same problem in other houses with knobs. Perhaps I am just the wrong height!

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

Our kitchen was done with all pulls in 2 different sizes (3.5" and 5.5") with 18" appliance pulls on the pantry doors. I've decided I hate it and wish it was knobs on "regular" doors and pulls on "regular" drawers. Still not sure what I'd prefer on the "wide" drawers. I do like the appliance pulls on the 2 pantry doors which are 80" H x 24" W each.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I have pulls on the drawers and knobs on the doors.

My old kitchen had pulls on everything and it was a completely unconscious decision to go with the mix that I did. Perhaps I was always uncomfortable with pulls on the doors - I don't know.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Pulls everywhere. Easiest to use. Even on doors as you can opened then with even just a pinky. And I second no pointy parts to catch pockets on.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

What do you like on your inspiration photos? I'm a super long pull girl (like 2/3 the length of the cabinet/drawers), but I've seen some cool knobs too. A thoughtful combo can take a kitchen to the next level. Do you want to share some photos?

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Am I the only person who gets their pockets and belt loops caught on knobs on lowers? Just another fun thing about being short? I'll never have another knob on a lower cabinet. Or the type of pull that has a pocket-snagging protrusion.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

> Am I the only person who gets their pockets and belt loops caught on knobs on lowers?

Nope, I'm 6'2" and I get caught on knobs and bar pulls. That's why I got these, and no catching issues.
    {{!gwi}}

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Always handles, switched them when I found enough in a bin at the lumberyard for 50â ea.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Pulls all the way for me; have never liked the action needed to open with a knob. When shopping for pulls recently, I was amazed how many I liked visually, that I could not even slide my fingers under. Or the backs were hollow, or the back edges sharp and uncomfortable on the fingers. In-hand sampling is highly recommended for both knobs and pulls.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, guys. i've done in-person handling and agree that there are a number of options that are actually quite uncomfortable in-hand.

i'm leaning toward knobs on the cabinets (upper and there are a few lower) and pulls on the drawers. the pull i like is crested so it should greatly reduce/eliminate getting hooked.

another question - does all your hardware match?

i like a particular line, but now i'm wondering if maybe it's too boring to go with all the same knobs and handles... i am not the most creative of creatures, so i can end up being matchy-matchy, while wishing i could have great vision and pull together something more eclectic and "different"

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Sticking with the same line is sensible, imo. You're getting variation already from the different shapes (knob and pull).

• kelleg69
    9 years ago

Wow. I am the only all-knob person here! I chose my look based on my inspiration photos. I have knobs on drawers and doors. I like some pulls, but generally prefer the look of knobs. We built our house and I am trying to think if I put pulls anywhere. Don't think I did! Weird.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

knobs on uppers and doors below (sink cab, spice cab, corner lazy susan)
    pulls on drawers
    all same line
    nothing to catch on

absolutely agree on testing them first, they have to be comfortable, some are just painful or awkward...

we have same hardware in dining room which we had custom cabs made for instead of having dining room furniture, we just added the backplate to have some distinction between kitchen and DR, and to dress it up a little (kitchen and DR are open to each other - side by side)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have all pulls (drawers and cabinets) EXCEPT for knobs on the little cabinets above my fridge and range hood. Just did it for the hell of it, to vary the look. They're both high enough for me to tippytoe and it's easier to snag a knob than a pull that high.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I used all pulls. And I did them all horizontally. Wha??? Yep.

I'm really surprised that no one had mentioned the ease of use for pulls over knobs. Pulls are easier to use, even with non-arthritic hands. ADA requirement is pulls, if that tells you anything,

That said, I did use a couple of little crystal knob beauties on my dish hutch.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

We did a mix of cup and closed-end bar pulls. As others have said, they are very easy to use and nothing catches on them.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I have all pulls except for my narrow spice pullout. I used a crystal knob there because I wanted it to disappear as much as possible.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

We went all pulls - I like the look and easier to open.
    I wasn't as brave as Breezygirl and all horizontal pulls.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022