Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimsig

Crackle tile questions

Kim
9 years ago

As I finally start looking to finish the kitchen I am now looking to decide on my back splash. I know that I really like crackle tile and that many on this forum have used them.my questions are what brands have you used(I know Encore is popular) but was hoping to find info on other brands. Also are most using gloss or matte finish? Here is a pic of my granite. I am planning on a very neutral color like cream,off white etc. I am open to all thoughts or alternative ideasðÂÂÂ

I plan on having the backsplash go to the ceiling on the window wall

Comments (18)

• awm03
    9 years ago

Grazia Tile's Essenze. Comes in 4x4 and subway, glossy surface. Craquelle only comes in white, blush, & green though. Beautiful tile, doesn't look machine made. I installed it 11 years ago and still love it.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have Sonoma Tile crackle 3x6 glossy. It's very nice, about $12 sq.ft.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I used Grazia Rixi Crema tile. They had subway and squares. I used the squares. One row square orientation, an accent row, and then set on a diagonal. Mine are glossy.
    I ogled Heath tiles - they are more expensive but love them.

• kalapointer
    9 years ago

I used Pratt & Larson Watercolor line in a sage green. They are 3x6 and glossy. They are very easy to clean. Make sure the tiles are sealed before grouting and after installed. They need to be sealed again after a few months. The glaze continues to crack with time. I have posted a link with a good discussion on crackle tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: crackle tile

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Another Grazia Rixi fan.

• Kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have found showrooms nearby to check put most of there companies and hope to pin down my decision soon.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have Sonoma Tribeca-Star crackle in butter and I love them.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

I'm planning on Horus Tiffany Crackle in biscuit. I used it in a previous kitchen and like it quite a bit.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

My colors are similar to your kitchen.
    I went with 5x5 grazia Rixi Crema

Here is our kitchen

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I think the crackle is so pretty and I wanted it at first but decided against it as didn't want to deal with sealing it. Almost got the Horus Art Tiffany, someone else mentioned.

Granite is similar and we used Jeffrey Court Vintage Studio collection in the color Antique Lace. Comes in 3 x 6 flat or beveled and we chose the bevel for interest. It is hard to see in the pictures but the tile is slightly shaded also adding to the interest.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I used horus art crackle in a bath a while back and really liked the look. Although my designer ran off with 3 times the amount of tile needed for the bath - for this silly reason I have not wanted to re-buy. But I feel the frustration building for *another* unfinished project, so I may just go buy it just to get kitchen done.

• Kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Think I have decided on grazia rixi crema crackle tile in almond. They really are beautiful. Did anyone use this tile in this color and if you did do you have pictures to share?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Kim
    Welcome to the Grazia Rixi club. There are a number of us with it. I am a bit confused on your color as I don't see almond listed but you also say crema so I think you are talking about Crema?

My picture above is the Crema.

My kitchen is 2.5 years old and the tile still looks brand new. It is important to have it sealed before installation.

I attached a link to my reveal for more pictures.

Where are you getting your tiles? I had to order mine as no one local carried

Here is a link that might be useful: A2gemini reveal

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 7:10

• Jenna Brown
    9 years ago

Kim,
    Sorry to be off topic, but I love your floors (and kitchen)! Can you tell me what type of wood you used?

• Kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a2gemini that name was on the back of the tile but it is a sticker from the tile shop so maybe the almond is just something they added cause it is shown as crema-almond. I just love it, it's like besides the crackle there is a lacy look to it. We found the sample at Seattle Tile. We live about 30 miles south of Seattle but our daughter lives in Seattle so we hit a few tile stores there as our local shops had no crackle tiles at all.
    Jennaphllps we LOVE our floor! It is solid natural distressed acacia hardwood. After a year it still amazes me how beautiful the wood is and it is very hard, we have a 60 lds dog with nails and while there are scratches they can only be seen if you get down on the floor and look at just the right angle and they really are not in the wood but just the finish and it's a matte finish so they really are invisible to everyone. The only time I seem it is when I get down on my hands and knees to clean the floor

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Another Grazia Rixi Crema in subway. We love it! Here is a photo of our tile with the mural Wet Dog Tile made for us that we installed over our range top.
    MJ

• Kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the beautiful backsplash pictures! Now my next question, although I found this tile at a local showroom that I can order though,the price listed for it is about 21 a sq ft. Where did you all with Grazia Rixi get yours from and if you don't mind telling how much was it? I like to support local businesses but sometimes the price difference is too much and we are defiantly working on a budget. One tile place online listed this in a subway for less than 10 per sq foot.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Kim- I wanted to buy local but not available anywhere near me.
    My kitchen is 95% local or small stores.
    The shipping was expensive. Because of the weight, it was shipped to the local lumber store where I bought the cabinets. The shipping company required a fork lift. I needed more than you and maybe was over the limit. Not sure of the requirements any more.

We have a local hardware store and at one point they posted a sign "buy local or bye local".

The few $$ isn't worth losing local sales.