Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabelle1234_gw

Suggestions on reasonably priced kitchen cabinets

Isabelle1234
9 years ago

We're building a house and have met with a couple of kitchen dealers who first promised to meet our budget and then ended up giving us final pricing at double the cost. We live in Colorado and we want something that's durable and semi-custom, but not extremely expensive, solid wood doors, melamine interior, alder, shaker style. There are tens of cabinet mills and producers, and it's hard to choose, but does anyone know which brands have good quality cabinets for reasonable prices(?) Also, I know that every dealer/reseller adds their own mark-up, so maybe does anyone know of a dealer that doesn't add as much up(?) Or is there a mill in Colorado that will deal directly with the consumer and have a product that's reasonably priced. I can't believe some of them add 100% or more to what the furniture actually costs. Please - any suggestions(?)

Comments (8)

• amykath
    9 years ago

We are building too. I am super excited about getting Barker Cabinets. I have received 4 samples and they are fab. Nothing but great reviews and they are super customizable down the 1/4 of an inch. Customer service is superior and the product is super super affordable and very nice. The only caveat is you assemble them yourselves. I have seen videos on assembly and it is a breeze. All door and drawers are soft close and drawers are fully extendable. I am doing a larger kitchen with ALL of the bells and whistles and should come out to a little over 7,000.

Just a thought.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Be sure to give a good hard look at IKEA. Top quality, great reviews, wonderful products.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Ikea boxes and hardware with custom fronts and panels for Scherrs or semihandmade.

• redheadeddaughter
    9 years ago

Have you discussed with your builder yet? I know I went around to 6 or 7 different kitchen cabinet places before we picked our builder. It turns out his cabinet guy could provide cabinets for about the same price as Ikea - but custom and beautifully made. Our budget was very small when we got to the cabinetry - and he worked with that.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I would shop around with your local cabinet makers. I received a 50K cabinet quote from a local kitchen design firm and a 26K quote for the same design from a reputable custom cabinet maker. All construction, materials and finish were the same, except the higher quote was for inset and the lower quote was for frameless. The local company also offered inset but I don't think it would have cost twice as much.

Barker also seemed like a good option except the cost savings over the custom cabinets would have been minimal when taking into consideration that we'd be responsible for measuring and installation. We've since decided to do just a minor upgrade with new doors and drawers from Barker.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Builders Are notorious for giving crap allowances for cabinets. Like 8 K for a whole house when it really ought to be 40. They push you into using thei crapenter's site built "custom" so you can stay in budget. And then you have garbage that has sawdust and bugs staring at you daily. And you only get a few years before starting to chip an peel and fall apart from him not using actual cabinet grade ply and decent hardware.

If several places can't meet your budget, it's the budget that's the problem.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I'm costing cabinets from both Barker and Scherr's. I will also try two different custom shops.

I want painted cabinets and probably will end up painting them myself in order to get the brushed finish I desire.

This won't be first time I've painted my newly built kitchen from scratch. This will be the first time I put my own cabinets together.

I don't believe I will be compromising on quality. My rough estimate will be $12,000 to $13,000 without any sacrifices. My independent kitchen designer estimates that ready made cabinets will come in at $40,000 to $45,000. That difference makes it worth my while to think about RTA cabinets. (ready to assemble cabinets)

While it is true that you could get a cruddy finish, if you are careful, you could get a better finish doing it yourself than if you used a cruddy low cost manufacturer.