Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Please post pictures of window treatments

aliris19
11 years ago

Hi yall! Thank you for posting pictures of how you've covered your windows. In particular, I'm interested in how people add some visual barrier without eclipsing a pretty window or elements of it. I happen to have 9-light mission style windows all over the house -- incredibly expensive! -- and I'm so loathe to cover them up. And yet, we've been living in a fishbowl for two years and the light bleeds through and the kids can't sleep. I've been relegated to the bad-parent heap so long ago now, I'm still trying to crawl out.

I've looked through Houzz but never seem to find any good ideas. I was wondering whether kitchen windows, which tend to be special though not necessarily as needful of covering as some others, might provide some ideas. If you'd like to show your non-kitchen windows as well, I'd sure have no objection seeing them!

Please help; I am so in need. I really appreciate you sharing... :)

TIA

Comments (6)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Hi aliris, I've got nothing to show but I did want to tell you that when the guy was coming for pictures I panicked about not having window treatments yet. I thought it would be my excuse for getting it done. He told me not to worry. I ripped down my $5 Target temp shades in the eating area and just went with naked windows. I also looked on Houzz and in some magazines and noticed naked windows are making a come back! Who knew that my lack of window treatments would look so ...so...so in style? I think I am going to put a rod across the top of all the windows and have curtain panels that I can close, but not do any shades/matchstick romans at all. I really like this look, at least during the day. Not loving the blackness at night.

Of course this is not helping you, but I thought I'd share what my plans are for down here. Upstairs, I still want to do something to block the light and add curtains too. I'll get there, but until the $5 Target shades are working like a champ--they do go up and down, not just the clips.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Here's mine... wanted colour and a sunlight filter. I made "stagecoach" valences and sunshade type blinds (where you can choose the % filtering).

• aliris19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wonderful, thank you so much! Please keep these coming... I'm really curious to see what people have done.

Bee, I went through a long, annoying process of buying almost thousands of dollars worth of shades but then just didn't. It was a lot a lot a lot a lot of money. $5 shades sounds worth looking into. (we're talking v. $3K - $8K for just half the house).

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Aliris - I feel your pain. We are in a fishbowl too. Tomorrow I am biting the bullet and ordering 2" privacy faux wood blinds for the great room, master and my office. The latter two are in the front of the house. As I sit typing this post, everyone can see me sitting on the sofa with my feet up and looking like a slob! I was at the neighbors earlier this evening, a football field away and I could see in my house...yikes!!!! I plan to frame the windows with stationary panels for some softness. The cost, installed will be almost $2,800. I researched online at discount blind stores and I could save about $700, but knowing the measuring and warranty is with the local business is important to me. This to cover approximately 30' of windows.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

OMG Bee - is that a preview of the pictures from the shoot? Looks WONDERFUL :)

Sorry alaris, have no window treatments, anywhere. Received a $500-$700 per window quote on Hunter Douglas shades which more or less ended the conversation. Will read with interest what everyone posts!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My dinette patio doors face south so we opted for between the glass blinds in order to be able to control the sunlight. I added panels that can be pulled across when we want that look.
    {{!gwi}}
    My kitchen sitting area windows are east, west and south. Our woven wood blinds work do a great job keeping keeping the sun out when needed. Here they are:

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022