Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzhwong

Need help with light fixtures

lzhwong
11 years ago

I posted a while back and you guys gave me some wonderful tips with lighting. I will using 2 Clemson pendants over my island. My kitchen is open to the breakfast eating area. Which of these 3 chandeliers coordinate best with the Clemson pendants (in polished nickel). Option 3 is in a polished nickel finish but I'm afraid that will be too matchy matchy.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Comments (14)

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

I like option 3. We're considering the Clemson pendants too. Option 3 is definitely not matchy-matchy, but I think the styles work together if they are both in the same finish.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love the Clemson pendant but not sure about the other choices.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I am in a similar situation lzhwong. I am trying to figure out which fixture will go best over our breakfast table as well. We will have a white kitchen with dark counters ( soapstone I think). The lighting over the island is going to be two polished nickel pendants (the harmon is my choice as of now). My dilemma is that I worry that a polished nickel chandy will look "cold" over my cherry table with black legs but then I also worry about matching finishes. There was a post of a finished kitchen this past week that was stunning! She had polished nickel pendants over her island and her chandy over the table was a black finish. I think it looked great. Maybe someone can remember the post and link to it.
    Any chance you can give us some more details about your kitchen such as what the rest of the kitchen looks like and what color your eating area will be....???

I do like the Clemson pendants!! I love the lines of the first one but am not sure about the black or wrought iron with the Clemson pendant. The last I think is the closest "match" finish wise but I am not crazy about it. Is your table rectangular or a round?

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi p.ball2, The Harmon pendants are beautiful! I am going with the Clemson pedants because they have a clear glass shade so it provides more light than downward lighting. My kitchen will have dark hardwood floors, white cabinets, and Cambria torquay countertops. I have not selected an eating table but it will be rectangular in shape. I'm currently looking at some zinc topped trestle style tables. Like you, I'm worried that a polished nickel chandelier will be too cold over a kitchen table.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

lzhwong:
    I looked and cannot seem to find that finished kitchen that I saw last week on GW. I went through some of my pinterest photos and found the one I linked below. It has the clemson pendants and in the background you can see a chandy that is wrought iron or just a black finish and I think it looks great. Now they are quite a bit apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Here is another pretty kitchen with Clemson pendants. It has a "matchy" fixture over the table but I really don't love it at all especially over that table.

Not sure if this is helpful to you or not. I find that I go back to pinterest frequently to look at kitchens I have pinned to see what I like or don't like or what I never noticed and now do!

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

P.ball2, Thank you for all of your help. I'm not a fan of the one with matched fixtures. The chandelier looks cheap compared to the Clemson pendants or perhaps it just didn't photograph well. Unfortunately, my eating area is much closer to my kitchen so I'm not sure if the contrast will look good. What chandelier have you chosen to coordinate with your Harmon pendants?

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I have not made a decision on my chandy over the table yet. I decided I would not purchase it until the kitchen was finished and I could see how everything looked in the room. I do have some that I am thinking of though.
    Here are a few I am considering but I would love to NOT use a polished nickel if I can get away with it since I think over my table it could look cold.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

here is another. This one night work with your Clemson pendants?

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Last one. I am leaning toward either a drum shade or a glass shade with nickel accents if I go with nickel. The drum shades seem to soften the light and give a nice glow. They all have nickel but sparingly. I have looked at a bunch of all nickel chandeliers and they are pretty but seem mismatched from my table even though they match my pendants.

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, I definitely love the drum shade with nickel accents. That would look great with the Clemson pendant. Who is the manufacturer?

Thanks so much p.ball2!!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

That one is a favorite of mine too! It is made by Vaughan lighting designs. I would google the Lily linen shade with nickel accents by Vaughan lighting and see what you get. If I remember correctly the price was a bit steep. I keep trying to find something similar in a lower price.
    There is this one in link below from circa lighting that is a similar look and $420

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lzhwong
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one is similar to the Vaughan chandelier but it's oval in shape. I couldn't find a price for it. It's called the Holly Hunt Paris Chandelier.

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

p.ball2, who is the manufacturer for the fixture you have linked in your 8:19pm post? Lovely!