Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine40

Almost ready to start--pics!!

christine40
12 years ago

We are almost at demo time! Here are some before pics:

Typical 80's U shaped kitchen...note the lovely oven/micro at the end of the peninsula!

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Large built in pantry--blowing this out to move fridge/micro and smaller pantry there!

{{!gwi}}

Bar sink in nook area--changing this to a much needed desk!

{{!gwi}}

Rest of the nook area looking to family room...blowing out this wall and refacing the fireplace in the family room!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now, what are we changing to?? Getting rid of the peninsula, adding an island.

Cabs are local, custom shaker style, painted maple, BM Clay Beige. Island is espresso stain on Cherry.

Countertops:Dark typhoon Bordeaux
    {{!gwi}}

Backsplash will be olive green limestone subway tiles, with 1x1 accent behind the range of somona tile--Mosuprema, Dry Creek Blend with crushed glass accent tiles!! Haven't taken any pics of those yet--but they are beautiful!!

Cabs should be done before Christmas, so demo right around or after the holidays!

Appliances are: Jenn-Aire 30" pro-range, sidexside CD fridge, with free Jenn-Aire pro dishwasher!!

• sskit
    12 years ago

Good Luck!!! - Ours was finished yesterday will try to get pics uploaded this week so you can see Truffle Siligranite sink!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Wow! Love that granite! Good luck with renovation!

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sskit---I think you and I have similar stuff...same Jenn air pkg, same granite I think? I put a sample of the truffle up next to the granite and it was a bad combo....as was the cafe brown and the black was so dark I am afraid it will look like a hole. So I think it will be stainless, with brushed nickel faucet. Black cab hardware and black lighting.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

Is that your actual granite slab? If so, I am so glad you found enough of the perfect one...it is beautiful. Where did you end up going for the granite?

Can't wait to see the progress picks! Good Luck!!

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh man, was that granite ever a story! We went to mont, saw it, loved it, it was on hold....then you know that story....bottom line was we needed 2 slabs. My KD even tried negotiating with the other buyer to split the 3 slabs..1.5 each. Instead the wonderful people at mont "found" 4 more slabs from the same lot....they had given them to a consignor/ wholesaler...brought them back, I picked the 2 I wanted, then they shipped the other 2 back out!

So, yes, that is an actual picture of MY slab! Yippie!

We finalized that on Monday when DH was off work! I was so happy, I love love this granite....and couldn't find anything else quite like it! And it only went over budget by a small bit...better than I had hoped for!

We are using superstore as a fabricator. My KD really likes them.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Gorgeous stone--our cabinet colors should be very handsome with it. I'm looking forward to more pix.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Good Luck! Your granite is gorgeous.

One tip, take MORE before pictures. You will be surprised that later you wish you had more. Take from lots of angles, and make sure they are light enough to see them. I wish I took more from different angles.

Congratulations!

• sskit
    12 years ago

Christine I think you are right about the truffle now that I see your granite. We love the sink though. Have had both SS and porcealin in the past and siligranite is superior. Our granite though is lighter. The Sienna Bourdeaux is lighter with some burgundy, and black running thru the gray. Yours is darker with yellow - beautifull slab. We did the JA package and have cherry/alder cabs with black hardware.

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes, sskit! I put that truffle sample up and yucko!! It was all wrong! Black would still work, but wouldn't blend and disappear as I had hoped. So, I have resigned myself to SS, not my first choice, but what are you going to do!! Now we have to decide on 50/50, 60/40, or single. DH and I are in debate at the moment! We are going with the Grohe Concetto faucet..at least we agreed on that!

Next is a trip to the remanant yard to find a dark, honed rem. for the fireplace surround--I just love looking at stone! We need to do this asap, before it gets too cold and snowy to tramp through the yard!

• sskit
    12 years ago

I just noticed you mentioned Mont about your Granite. We went there to look (Pittsburgh) and they had tons of choices. We ended up though getting slabs from fabricator.

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think they have a few locations in Michigan, Ohio, and western PA, maybe Illinois too?? I went to 3 different granite places, and I thought by FAR they had the most unique selection and definately the best customer service!! That being said, if you are looking for a cheaper, more common granite, it's defiantely not the place...no Uba Tuba or Santa Cecelia to be found. But lots and lots of interesting granites I have never heard of or seen before!

• advanced
    12 years ago

Christine, That slab is magnificent!! What about the Silgranit Biscuit? Doesn't that work? I think it would look better than SS (I am not a fan of SS)

• christine40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good thought on the biscuit....I am not a huge SS fan myself, but that being said..we moved into a 60's house renovated in 1980--I am in almond HELL! Tile in the bathrooms, ect. To me that color is a bit dated, which is why I liked the truffle--a more modern twist on it I guess? Although, I guess you are right--I haven't purchased anything yet, so I will be open to all options! I'll check the biscuit!

Thanks on the thumbs up for the slab....I truly love it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH