Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong

abekker
9 years ago

I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please share opinions or other brands I should consider. Thank

Comments (15)

• AKJR
    9 years ago

I have the Merillat Classic. They were in my home when I bought it 10 years ago and have lasted quite well. I am re-freshing my kitchen countertops but there isn't anything structurally wrong with my cabs, all pull-outs still run smoothly, lazy daisies are still working well, hinges are in good working order as are the drawers. They may not be the most sought-after cabs but they have been strong and reliable. This is what the looked like 10 years ago.

I don't have experience with the company as mine were already installed when I bought my home but they have lasted through everything a large family put them through for 10 years and I expect to get another 10 years from them in the future (maybe even longer if "honey spice oak" can make a comeback :) ).

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I wonder if merillat classic 10 yrs ago is the same merillat classic as is now, because they've added the masterpiece line. Hmmm...maybe the old classic is new new mastepiece.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Masterpiece is not new. I haven't handled Merrillat for over 5 years so could not say how Classic is now. I sold very little of it since I wasn't crazy about it but know some builders who use it and think it's okay.
    I've found it difficult to find something I'm happy with in the price point. Only brand I had since on my own I dropped quickly. Had not seen anything I was willing to carry since. Until...

Just took on Eastman Street so don't have a lot of direct experience let's just say I'm willing to carry it ( even a bit enthusiastic)
    Specs are far better than Classic.

What I've seen so far: Finish is good. Paints are nicer than typical at the price but center panels have a slight texture if you look closely. It doesn't stand out since the sheen is slightly matte (which I like).
    Boxes that I've seen so far look good so.
    I have one inset from them, reveal is unusually small for the price point. It is perfectly even though. I want to see how it does in humidity before going far with it. Maybe I'll torture test it in the bath while showering :)

I understand there were some growing pains last year mostly shipping damage. Appears they took care of that promptly. They've been incredibly responsive with me so far. Appears to be SOP, likely since they are a smaller company instead of owned by a conglomerate.
    All in all Im optimistic.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am having eastman priced, they seem very eager to make customers happy and are willing to make modifications. Merillat refused to make any modifications. My only concern is thw 5 yr warranry vs 25, but I am pretty sure if I will need to use it merillat will say it's not covered.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am having eastman priced, they seem very eager to make customers happy and are willing to make modifications. Merillat refused to make any modifications. My only concern is thw 5 yr warranry vs 25, but I am pretty sure if I will need to use it merillat will say it's not covered.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jakuvall, does Eastman use Blum hinges?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

At that price point, you're not getting champagne. You're lucky to get sparkling wine for an upcharge when you have a beer budget.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollysprings, which kitchen cabinets do you suggest I look at?

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Don't remember off the top of my head which hinges, either Blum or Grass, soft close is a small upcharge. (will check when back in-get confused with which brand has which-old age CRS). I refuse to carry anything lesser hardware.

Glides are Grass full extension soft close undermount (same as my hi-end brand QCCI) on dovetail boxes as standard now though they also added the upcharge. They just did away with the cheaper drawer, fine by me since we don't order that.

I don't mind the warranty, "lifetime" is marketing hype IMO. It's not for wear and tear, just defects which if there are any should present themselves in the first year anyway. Many states require seven and some call that "lifetime". Hardware is truly lifetime though, from the hardware company.

Mods, they are making me a two drawer with interior roll out in top drawer. Supposed to become a standard some time next year. I really don't intend to fool around with a lot of mods at that price but the few they have are useful. The two drawer was important though.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jakuvall, the two drawer was my modification as well, which Merillat refused to do btw. Do you think I will be ok with loading up a 36 double drawer with pots and pans or do you think I shouldn't do more than 33 for the pots and pans? I agree with you 100% about the lifetime warranty it's bs. Like you said I have to make sure that everything is fine when the cabinets are delivered and installed. I like the Faierfield maple java door. Will get an estimate next week.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

I ordered 30" with interior roll out in top drawer (a bit pricey but not a deal killet) for pots and pans. RO takes part of the load. We're putting front to back dividers in drawers but not the RO ( contractor is supplying them, budget job) They don't offer a heavier bottom for drawers ( at some point mods mean move up a line) so I'd stick to 33 myself.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jakuvall!

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Hinges are Grass

• abick2
    9 years ago

Jakuvall are you still liking Eastman? I am going insane with trying to make a decision. I like thier cappuccino II color in maple.