Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slappified

Kitchen Layout Help

Slappified
11 years ago

This design may look familiar because I posted a version of it late last year but we put off the remodel. We've now decided to remodel our kitchen this winter and below is the updated version (based on previous comments) of the layout. This is just a basic design using the lowes design program. The color scheme is just something I through together just to have something other than the black appliances which we are going to do. The small counter beside the outside door is a place to dump diaper bags, pocketbooks, mail, etc.

Our current kitchen is from 1978 and has the fridge in the proposed stove location and the stove just to the left of the proposed fridge and a peninsula where the proposed fridge is. The existing dw is located to the right of the sink. We had to move the fridge beside the outside door because the dw wouldn't open due to a conflict. Our current kitchen only has 4 drawers (so that would be the reason I went overkill on the proposed drawers) and no storage for bulky items.

Thank you for taking a look at it and providing opinions.

----

----

----

----

----

----

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

be sure your backsplash height is 18 inches[it looks less in photos]. If you are sure you need all these wall cabs I'd pick an area and have a higher backsplash[shorter height of wall cab]. Make sure in your surfaces and colors options you allow for a backsplash with some verve to balance out the dominance of upper cabinets. This might be a case for a 2-finishes kitchen as well. Everyone understands the need for storage-just evaluate whether you can "lighten up" in a location with the wall cabs. I'd certainly be happy working in this kitchen. Do you have finishes/styles picked out?

• Slappified
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pictures don't show it but we'll more than likely be doing a tile backsplash. Currently we're short on storage, so I may have gone overboard with the cabinets. Now, that its been mentioned, I'll see where we can remove some cabinets so that we'll have room for "art". The upper next to the exterior door could go and leave a space for a picture or something else.

We haven't picked finishes yet, thats next on the list. We like the look of a darker cherry type finish but we fear it'll make the room look too small and then we'd have to choose a lighter counter. I would like a dark counter and lighter cabinets (especially with the black appliances) but I don't want the light oak or white look. Currently our cabinets are stained dark brown.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Not sure I understand about the drawers. I see areas that don't have drawers where I would put them. Right side of sink and lower pantry area.

Skip the cabinet over the range as it gives very little storage. Do a SS or some other type of range hood to give a visual break from all the cabinet doors.

Our kitchen is somewhat similiar with the sink /range area. Also have black appliances :)

• Slappified
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debrak thanks for the input. The cabinet to the right of the sink is for the pull out trash cans. We like the idea of the wall hood over the range instead of the cabinet.

We revised the layout by removing the wall cabinet next to the exterior door to provide some wall space for hanging things, removed the cabinet over the range and put in a stainless wall hood, change the wall cabinet next to the refrigerator to a microwave cabinet, and changed the drawers next to the exterior door to a standard base cabinet.

Style: We're looking at Kraftmaid cabinets (maple, Cognac, raised panel - Eldridge I believe) with a whitish/beige granite counter top and brushed nickel hardware. The floors will be a light brown travertine tile. I'm wondering if the stainless hood would be out of place and if so should we paint it black to match the appliances?

Total price right now is $12,800 including tax (cabinets and counter). We have 48 sf of counter and 2 pantries.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I am no layout guru, but I think that layout looks very good! I think it would cook very well.

Have you thought about where you would put a microwave (if you were thinking of having one)?

Is a counter-dgpth fridge in your budget or desire?

• springroz
    11 years ago

This is very similar to my layout, but just a smidge bigger. My sink and range are flipped, though. It works really well for me!! I would not do that stack of 5 drawers next to the fridge, but would change it to a 3 drawer stack. Those little drawers may be handy over by your drop zone.

Nancy

• Slappified
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie - We're planning to put the microwave in a mw wall cabinet next to the fridge. We're thinking about a counter depth fridge but we're going to hold off for now so we don't have to spend the extra money.

Springroz - You're probably right about the 5 drawers, they are probably too small height wise to do much with. We'll have to think about them further and figure out what we would put in them.