Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: What's cooking for Election day?

Posted by WhiteRiverSooner (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 14:44

What are you cooking on this election day?

I am undecided. For dinner that is. Should it be comfort food? I seem to be leaning that way.

I am considering homemade mac n cheese, pot roast, soup, or spaghetti, but I really can't decide.

What's cooking in your kitchen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: What's cooking for Election day?

We are having stuffed bell peppers.

I think anything that is "Stuffed" is appropriate for a "Political Day"!!!

Gary

o

election *coff coff* day kinda makes me lose my appetite, actually. Maybe an adult beverage is more in order....

o

Comfort food. For tonight, since I was working on the election earlier, that's my own chicken noodle soup. Was to be chicken and dumplings, but too tired.

That's for later, though. Right now, at my elbow, the adult beverage... :) With all the uncertainty tonight, one thing is for sure--the candidates and their campaigns are enormously tougher than I am.

o

Comfort food here, too. Steamer clams and fried Kumamoto oysters. Oh, and French bread!

Adult bev? Yes! I found a great mulled cider recipe for Halloween that I spiked with rum. I still have some cider left and that sounds pretty good!

o

I'm having leftovers...a Moroccan dish that was made last night. Hubby won't be home for supper.

And wine. Lots of wine. and whine. Wine & Whine.

The steamer is calling me, my dinner is ready. Enjoy the food.

o

Something quick: grilled steak with blue and goat cheese over salad with baslmic dressing & a cabernet from Argentina called Parados.

o

The Spouse wants to order in, so probably sushi for us with lots of wine. I need an alcohol buzz to tolerate the chattering fools on TV.

o

comfort food here too: just finishing up a shephard's pie to pop in the oven. It's a dark and cold and rainy day here, so this feels just right.

o

Adult beverage on the front porch ..we covered up and talked about the day and the tragedy in the NE...the election seems far away at this moment. My DB had a friend bring his 18 wheeler moving truck to DB's address on 7th Ave in mid-town Manhattan yesterday and they filled it and drove it to Rockaway. Now tonight we look at the weather and here I am complaining about the cold while wrapped in a wool blanket ...

DH is in the kitchen chopping and dicing...Chinese Cheng Du chicken.

( I apologize for the OT )

o

Pizza in the oven now, and fudgesicles for dessert. Comfort food here. Even in Canada we're interested in your election ... though by "we" I mean "me", lol because my hubby just came and jokingly (?) gave me a sleeping pill to take because I bore him silly when it comes to politics. Ha ha.

o

DASH-a-Roni
This is a heart healthy version of "American Macaroni" or goulash.
This is my own recipe and my husband named it.
We try to follow the DASH eating plan - Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension - therefor DASH
The a-roni part - Whole wheat pasta tubes, lean beef, chicken, or turkey, low sodium tomoatoes, oregano, basil, onions, garlic, Spanish paprika (I always vary everything) and black pepper.
Then after everything cooking - I add spinach to wilt - but today used some Chard from the garden. Then a sprinkling of mozarella cheese on top and melt.
Leftove popovers and leftover "mice" truffles from Halloween.
DH loves it - his favorite childhood meal was American Macaroni - and when we started eating healthier, he didn't think he could have this dish again.

PS Tofu also works...

o

Comfort food! Jambalaya with shrimp and andouille sausage. And adult beverage of a creamy, buttery Chardonnay. Yummy.....will be glad when this divisive election is over.

o

Hopefully, humble pie.

o

Ordering some gluten free pizza as I type. Toasty fire, blankets, in my pjs, distracting myself with IPad games, YouTube How To videos. :-)

o

Comfort food all the way. Yummy soup from Epicurious: veggies, barley, lots of spinach, and a poached egg on top, garnished with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Homemade bread. Homemade oatmeal cookies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Barley Soup

o

DH not home; helping with election returns. Otherwise it would have been comfort food for sure. Made myself a salad and had a glass of wine. Been practicing choral music. Should have worked out. Blah!

o

Beer, 3 kinds of homemade pizza, crudites, butterscotch brownies. More beer and trying to avoid the talking heads on the TV now. (I'm usually a wine girl, but something about pizza and beer...)

o

We're having all sorts of roasted vegetables...beets, carrots, delicata squash, brussel sprouts and cauliflower with some tzatziki dip. I am totally in love with roasted vegetables.

We are also having sauteed mushrooms and leeks with melted gruyere on olive bread toast. Yum!

And we're playing a game Mexican trains with our neighbors.

Better go turn the oven on...

o

Week number 3 without a kitchen so it's take out again :(

o

DH decided he wanted baked chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans.

There are some very wonderful sounding dinner ideas here. Mine is so boring. We are having wine and cocktails, so cheers.

It sounds like comfort food and adult beverages rule the night.

o

Soup with wakame seaweed, kelp, fat korean noodles, broccoli, snow peas and salmon.

and beer.

Hey baked chicken & mashed potatoes? YUM not boring...

o

Salmon glazed with honey mustard sauce and saut�ed asparagus. Of course, no election night coverage would be complete without a glass of Chardonnay......or two!

o

Roasted eggplant with kalamata olives over linguine, with pesto (me) and red sauce (DH). Butternut squash soup for starters, a little broccoli, creamed spinach, and a celebratory cocktail!

o

To eat: Good ol' spaghetti and meatballs, homemade sauce & meatballs

And to have fun with all our burners and pots and pans and countertop space:

Red Lentil and Garbanzo stew
AND
Lamb, Lentil, and Mint soup

And Lemon Drops.

o

You are ALL cooking such wonderful meals. My mouth is watering. I wish I could have seen pics....if you get a chance take a pic and post over on the KAW thread...everyone loves a great pic !!

I think there are a lot of new faces on GW Kitchens and they don't know how much fun the KAW threads are. c

o

'I need an alcohol buzz to tolerate the chattering fools on TV.'

I don't drink alcohol so I kept the tv off til pretty late. Couldn't stand listening to them. Went to my sister's to pick up leftovers. I had tuna salad, some potato salad, and a brownie.
so, no cooking here!

o

I volunteered most of the day, so we went out to an Indian buffet we'd been wanting to try on the rec of a friend. I liked it. DH not so much. It was good to get out, though, since it killed some time until the polls closed at 9 and local returns started coming in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here