Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prospect711

Drawer within a drawer?

prospect711
12 years ago

I have some deep pots-and-pans drawers that also need to contain some smaller items. I vaguely recall seeing something like a small drawer within a deep drawer - but I can't find it by googling.

Help please!

Comments (5)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Here is the PDF for Kraftmaid cabinet specs. On page 3, top, far right is a 2 drawer base with a small drawer within the top drawer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer within a drawer.

• plllog
    12 years ago

The drawer within a drawer is, essentially, the same as a rollout tray shelf or other drawer box that doesn't have an exterior face. I have a couple of them, but don't have a picture. The trick is that the sides of the main drawer box have to be low enough to allow the interior drawer to be attached to the sides of the cabinet box. (In theory, you could have it running from the shelf across the top of the drawer--if you have one!--but that's fancy carpentry, and would still require the lower back.)

Interior drawers like this are good for things that are taken out together, like pots with the lids in the interior drawer, or things that are used less often. You have to open the exterior drawer first, so it's less convenient than a regular drawer. It's also a way to fit in more drawers because you don't need the space for the face panel.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

these are from GW kitchens but I didn't keep the name of the owners.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

all of the ikea shallow drawers can be added inside the ikea deep drawers. They need less than 4" of height. They can also be added as an afterthought, since no advance prep is required. On the Ikea web site you can often see shallow drawers inside the tall pantry pullout cabinet. The drawer front you see in these images is the one you have to buy to make a shallow drawer kit into a shallow drawer.

Blum Tandembox is the same product. On the Blum web site you can see many images of internal drawers (or interior drawers or whatever they may call them). The interior shallow drawer "front" panel is different if you get it from Blum. Slightly different. But the clips are the same and they clip onto Tandembox glides that are the same.

• carybk
    12 years ago

You can also get vertical deep-drawer dividers, if you want to divide the space that way instead.

My notebook has (we have purchased but I haven't installed yet) Tra-Sta Deep Drawer organizer kit from Omega National Products. I found this at wwhardware.com