Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smallest U shape kitchen

Posted by eelover (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 14:32

I have a very small kitchen space, about 8'2" wide, 9' long. It's currently a galley kitchen, but I'd like to turn it into a U shape to maximize cabinet space. I'm thinking about putting a 24" stove at the bottom of the U, and sink and fridge on the 2 arms (arm walls about 9' long). This will leave me a space about 4' wide, between the 2 arms. Only 2 people live here. I know it's small, but do you think it would be too weird?

For those of you who have small kitchens, are there any other tricks to use the space in a smart way?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smallest U shape kitchen

You will give up 50 inches of base cabinet storage to install the U. You will get back 50" at the bottom of the U. So that part is a wash.

If you then install corner lazy susans, you will get back about 32", but lazy susans are very inconvenient storage, to be avoided if possible.

You would probably be better off sticking with a well-designed galley kitchen.

But, what you should look into are deeper than normal cabinets. You should be able to extend the cabinets on one side to about 30" and still have the minimum walk space between the cabinets, which would increase your storage (and your countertop space, 25%.

Follow the link to a resource that may help you with your kitchen design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Kitchen Design

o
RE: Smallest U shape kitchen

Brooklyngalley's kitchen is the smartest use of small space I've ever seen.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0516324013092.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here