Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add a veneer skin to exposed ends of MDF cabs after installed?

Posted by stayghost (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 14:26

So we went with MDF boxes instead of plywood (which I regret), and they look fine with the exception of the toe kick area / bottom front corner of the cabinet run where it stops before a hallway. It's pretty roughed up right where the granite people had to come back and make adjustments so I assume it happened then.

Basically it looks like laminate "paper" wood finish is peeling up at the edge. It's only been up 2 weeks so I can only image how this would look in a few months, let alone years.Trying to think of a viable solution and not sure if I'm interpreting this right.

Can I buy the 3/16" veneer "skins" and have them applied to the exposed end runs of the cabinets, behind the "ear" of the face frame. Get matching finish from my cab maker, have them glued / bradded / puttied, and then this peeling issue would go away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add a veneer skin to exposed ends of MDF cabs after installed

I added floor trim below all of my cabinets. It was a simple job. You could do this and also add trim along the edges of the cabinet. What I would do though is cut a panel to fit and then add trim too. An 1/8" thick panel would be better than veneer. Just washing the floor is going to have water seep into your cabinet wood. I also used clear sealant to keep water from floor to cabinet base. Not much, just enough to make a seal and be able to remove if necessary.

o

Do you think it was loose before the granite installers returned? That amount of damage looks like there was an underlying issue.

o

Skins, already finished to match, are a pretty standardoffering forbrands that have those type of ends.
Glue with construction adhesive, can use a few pins or just blue tape until glue sets(24 hrs). Just be sure to get a good even adhesion- hold a wood block on it and tap gently all over. If the skin is warped do not install, ask for replacement.

o

"Glue with construction adhesive"

Contact cement works a lot better at making the very thin glue line you want.

o

and a lot worse at positioning or adhering to the substrate which is non porous

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here