Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awm03

Removing a formica backsplash?

awm03
9 years ago

Has anyone done this? How difficult and how do you go about doing it?

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Yes, we've done this. It wasn't very difficult. Be prepared that when you pull it down, it may take bits of the drywall and drywall paper down with it, depending on just how well the glue adhered.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

awmo3:

The solution may be worse than the problem. If the splash is well adhered, you may want to leave it and cover over it. If it's stuck really well, you may destroy the drywall getting it out.

Try a heat gun.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 17:00

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

How about taking it down...and saving the backsplash?

My friend has a 'groovy' (LOL) 70's style backsplash, with plants against a white background. It's fairly tall and matches her countertops (which she also plans to give me!)

It would be perfect for my mom's plant room, so just wanted to ask if there's any way to remove the backsplash (and the glue) without damaging the formica?

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 17:46

• schicksal
    9 years ago

We grabbed and pulled and it was gone in second. It was the single easiest part of demo.

• awm03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging responses. What do you think of this idea: cutting the laminate and the drywall behind it, removing the whole thing, then replacing the drywall? We want a tile backsplash, and with new drywall, we wouldn't have to worry about old adhesive or unevenness between old & new backsplash areas.

Here's the current kitchen. You can see why we want to remove the laminate backsplash (and everything else.)

• awm03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two more questions:
    What did you use to get under the backsplash to pry/pull it off? Is a wide blade scraper too flimsy to use?

Also, would a hair dryer be adequate if we don't have a heat gun? Hair dryers get pretty hot.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We removed ours without any trouble. Yes, it does chew the drywall underneath a bit, but that is easily repaired with some wall putty. We used a small 2" putty knife to pull it up as I recall. I guess you probably could put the backsplash material right over the formica as long as its still firmly attached. But its better to remove it, IMO.

• awm03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If we tile over the formica, then there will be a different depth when we get to the non-formica part behind the fridge. (Fridge will be relocated when we center a new stove & get new cabs & countertop)

Maybe it would be easier to buy an extra piece of formica & adhere it to the wall behind where the fridge is now. Then tile over everything. At least the subsurface would be uniform.

• voila
    9 years ago

It is usually not a hard job. We just pulled ours off. Are you replacing the cabinets? I assume you are if you are centering the stove. When you take down the upper cabinets, you can grab the top of the laminate backsplash. We pulled ours off without changing the cabinets. It would be ALOT easier to spackle a few holes then to replace the dry wall-cheaper too.

• awm03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the cabinets will be replaced & reconfigured. Everything will be replaced, in fact. Nothing worth keeping in this tired little kitchen.

So we'll take down the upper cabs first before removing the laminate backsplash. Then repair the drywall as needed. Sounds like a game plan! Thanks, voila, for chiming in with your experience.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Try the blow dryer to soften the glue, it'll most likely work, it works on glued-down vinyl tiles so your chances are pretty good..

• Kimber Ross
    8 years ago

Joseph Corlett - Have you covered over laminate? If so, what works well (and looks good)? Our house is about 100 years old, and the laminate is glued onto the original horsehair plaster. We are sure that the three walls it is glued to will completely crumble if we try to pull it out, so we're looking at other options.