Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Two sinks - where disposal and water filter go?

YuliaO
10 years ago

I am going to put one sink on the island and then very small prep sink next to the range. I am confused where should i have water and disposal?
I am thinking disposal at the island because it would be main preparation area�And then Water filter install near the range, because that's where i will fill the pots etc�Am i correct?
Thank you!

Comments (15)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The concensus on here has been that you should have a disposal at both sinks.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you! what about water filter?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Sorry, I've never had a water filter, so I don't know!

• home4all6
    10 years ago

My set-up is a little different. I have a small prep sink in my island and a large clean-up sink on one leg of my layout. I use the prep sink for my cooking needs, so if I wanted to filter my water, I'd put it there. But I put my disposal in my clean-up sink. I find with my prepping, I have large bits of waste in my prep sink, but I can scoop those out and compost them or throw them away. (I wouldn't put those in the disposal anyway, even if I had one there.) But in my clean up sink, I get the tiny, nasty debris from dirty pots, pans, baking dishes and plates, and I love having a disposal there to get rid of all of that, without having to touch it.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

For the filtered water location, which sink do you think that you will be filling pots at? That is where I would put the faucet for it.

Of course, you could put a filtered water faucet at both sinks and run a line from the filter to feed both. We have our filter providing water to our filtered water faucet and our icemaker, so we only have one filter to change out.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 13:27

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hm, i never thought about one filter with two faucets!

I am not sure how i am going to use my kitchen yet, because it;s such a huge difference from what i have nowâ¦i never had 2 sinks beforeâ¦

• phiwwy
    10 years ago

I put a disposal in both sinks, and a whole house water filter. Love both, rather, all 3!

• phiwwy
    10 years ago

I put a disposal in both sinks, and a whole house water filter. Love both, rather, all 3!

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I use my prep sink for all my food prep activities. One of the best pieces of advice my fired GC gave me was to put a GD at each sink. I use both regularly even though I compost extensively. I cannot stand digging gunk out of a strainer basket.

For filtering needs, I put an inline filter on the cold water line under my cleanup sink. The water here is otherwise healthy. I just don't like how it tastes for drinking. I reasoned that since I wasn't planning on using filtered water for cooking, it didn't need to be at the prep sink. If it was just for drinking, then putting it away from the prep sink at the cleanup sink was better as water drinkers wouldn't be invading my working space to get water. I'm very happy with both of these decisions.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I was planning to put a garbage disposal at only my main sinks but ended up adding one to the prep sink. We have been using a sink in the basement without a GD. It's all the little crumbs & small pieces of food that drove me crazy. Being able to wash that small stuff into a disposal makes me feel like the sink area is cleaner.
    Our RO system requires a separate faucet. I chose the main sink because there is more room for that faucet at the main sink.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Someone also told me to make sure that my second sink was a usable size. Bar sink sized prep sinks are good only for a glass of water. I have a two disposals and a second sink that is 21" wide. But, I use it for prep. I can fit a whole turkey or watermelon in the sink.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I have a separate filtered water faucet at the main sink, and was about to do the same at the prep sink, but was worried about how crowded the soap dispenser and air switch would be. So at the last minute I put a filtrete advanced filter on the prep sink faucet. Our glasses are near the cleanup sink so that is where we mostly go for drinking water, the prep sink is near the range so that is where I fill pots.

I don't think an inline filter would work well for the main faucet at the cleanup sink, it would have to be replaced too often and restrict flow. But for the way we are using the kitchen this is a good solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: inline filter 1.5gpm flow

• angela12345
    10 years ago

We also did disposal at both sinks.
    We don't have a filter, so no advice there.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, this inline water filter just goes where your cold water line is? so if i turn on cold water i get filtered water, and if i add hot water then i add unfiltered water, right?
    how good does it work comparing to separate water filter faucet? It might be a perfect solution!!

our water is not bad and we are planning on putting a whole house filter at some pointâ¦

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Yes, the inline filter is only for cold water. I don't think it is as thorough as the 3 stage system I put at the main sink, but it is the perfect solution for our prep sink.

I'm really happy I didn't put a separate faucet at both sinks, but love having a garbage disposal at both. If I were to go back and reconsider my sinks, I might look harder for a different place for the garbage disposal air switches, I don't love having those holes in the counter. I do like both soap dispensers.