Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary4070

Kitchen Floorplan Review

Mary4070
9 years ago

Hello everyone, I was hoping for some help with my kitchen floorplan for a new house we are designing.
The first image is what we came up with while the second one was a wonderful redesign by "buehl".

My main concern is that the main view is to the back so I figured I would put the sink there. Buehl suggested I put the range on the back wall so that it is opposite the long side of the island.
I was hoping on some thoughts about which design you think would work better.

Comments (13)

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buehl's redesign

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I don't think it matters at all because you don't spend much time looking up from your work at either the stove or the sink, and most of your time is spent prepping anyway. I think the focus on sinks-in-front-of-windows is a relic of the past.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Doesn't look like you are losing any window space? In the 1st plan there are two windows next to each other, in the 2nd they have the range between them. No lost windows.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I have a similiar layout to your first post and I love it. My view is also to the back and that's where I put my sink. I agree that I seldom look out that window. I prep at island and use prep sink. My main sink under window is for clean up, DH's chore and mostly used after dark (after dinner).

My concern with your original plan is that the wide island leaves narrow aisles. You'll need a wider aisle by fridge, especially if you are putting stools at island.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Here is a suggestion that takes the view into account.

The seating area is a table set against the island. The table could be table-height or counter-height, whatever you like.

Now you have a view:

1) When doing dishes.
    2) From the main prep space between the clean-up sink and stove.
    3) While prepping at the island.
    4) From two of the three chairs at the island.

Other nice things:

a) Everybody sitting in the kitchen can face each other.
    b) The prep area on the island has the same nice flow that buehl's had. Namely, sink for washing --> counter for chopping --> stove for cooking.
    c) The location of the prep sink near the pantry and microwave also makes a nice little work triangle for someone getting a snack.
    d) The island is not blocking any part of the main work triangle.
    e) You have the ideal kitchen flow now. Namely, fridge (take food out) --> main sink (wash the food) --> counter (chop it) --> stove (cook it).

Compromises:
    i) You lost a seat. I figured that would be okay since you also have a breakfast area right there.
    ii) It might be a little crunchy in between the fridge and the seat in front of it. Not terrible since you have a 5' walkway, but the person in the seat might need to scootch in occasionally.

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!
    I guess I may be stuck in the past or thinking of growing up without a dishwasher but I find it hard to imagine not to have the best view in front of the primary sink. Will need to think some more on that.
    Jillius, thanks for the drawing. I do like the skinnier island but am thinking of going to 4ft instead of 3 to give a little more room for prepping. I also like the 3 person seating area.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Buehl's redesign is excellent. I would love to cook in that kitchen; it is well organized and functional for everyone. You pull your items from the fridge, prep at the island, then pivet to the left of the cooktop (in front of the window) to cook.

I removed my only sink from my window with a view to the island and my range is also next to the window. I also have 42" aisle clearance. I love this setup. I'm sitting at my island right now looking up recipes for dinner while looking out at the view. Remember, you will spend time at the island and will have your view through both windows and your deck doors. Would you be happier if the windows were larger (don't know if possible)?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I have a window over my sink, not because I wanted it there but it was the most logical spot. I rarely look out this window. If I am working at the sink, it means I am peeling something (can't look up) or quickly hand washing 1 or 2 items (only takes a minutes or two). I do look out the other windows when sitting at the island or prepping at the island (without knives).

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So many great ideas!

Hope you don't mind...but I erased all those 'busy' lines. Since the measurements are already available, I thought this might be easier to read.

I also moved a few windows and added some basic furniture...trying to get an idea how the living areas might be set up. And I sketched in a window seat (with bookcases on each side) in the dining room. It's a big space and it seemed like a fun idea!

The family room is probably going to have some sofas or a sectional, so I tried to make that as easy to furnish as possible. Since you have closets on each side of the entry, I moved the built in shelves to the other side to open up more wall space in the family room.

Hope this helps...I really like the changes so far :)

From Kitchen plans

Here are a couple of kitchens with windows on each side of range. I really like this look!

From Kitchen ideas
    From Kitchen ideas

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 20:39

• quequeg
    9 years ago

I too like the look of having two windows flanking the range and do prefer the more traditional design of the main sink facing the best view.

Moreover having the range at the far right limits the traffic moving past hot stove tops etc which I think is more important than having a larger island side behind you.

Im not a big fan of having a T shaped island/kitchen table. I would go with a one level island. You have the breakfast table close by for more seating.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I think all one height for the island would be much better! The picture is more for the windows than the island :)

Also, the advantage to a T-shape island is that people can talk to the cook or each other, rather than lined up like (as Marcolo says) stadium seating.

Since the kitchen is so big, it allows for a variety of island and stool ideas...so you have a lot of options!

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone.
    Lavender Lass, I like your redesign. In particular I like the wall of cabinets behind the main stair. I decided to place a reach in pantry there instead for the ease of use factor and cost savings.

I kept the foyer closet opposite the bathroom only because the two closets flanking the main door are fairly small (2 feet wide).

As for Buehls design I plan to work a lot of the details into mine but have decided on keeping the rear facing contiguous windows not so much for the view from the sink but view from the island.
    Thanks again for everyone help. I really appreciate your collective wisdom. Please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

• quequeg
    9 years ago

I think it looks really good. i wonder though if the main work triangle in the kitchen is too stretched out. Also the wall pantry seems really wide (almost 8ft). Do you really need that much storage given that the kitchen is already rather large?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County