Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

For painted people: semi-gloss v. satin finishes? Decision time!

artemis78
13 years ago

Need to decide ASAP on a finish for our cabinets, which are getting professionally sprayed with Benjamin Moore Aura paint. The sample doors are in Aura semi-gloss, which looks nice---but super shiny! A quick Google search turns up some concerns with the Aura Satin finish on cabinets, though, so I'm nervous about switching the finish. Our existing casework and mouldings (in separate rooms) are BM oil-based Satin Impervo, so I'm not sure how the finishes compare across paint lines.

We don't have time to get a sample door in Aura satin, so if we go with that it will be sight unseen---anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons to semi-gloss v. satin (or any experience with Aura satin specifically)? I can run to the BM store at lunchtime to try to look at a display with sample finishes, but nothing on a sample door itself.

We are going for durability, ease of cleaning, and looks, in that order. Cabinets are a mix of flush inset (where the finish will get a little more battered and bruised, I imagine) and frameless.

Any help would be very much appreciated---thanks!

Comments (6)