Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice F&P dishwasher *friendly* dinnerware?

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 14:14

I'm not talking about dishwasher safe because these days, most dinnerware is safe for dishwasher. I've seen plates and bowls that are super heavy and thick, and remember having a hard time squeezing into the dishwasher racks when I had one. Now is time to order new dinnerware for our new kitchen, but I want to make sure they are nice to use and friendly to our Fisher & Paykel dishdrawer dishwasher, which is on its way. By "friendly", I mean you can drop the plates/bowls in the rack without much trouble, and they shouldn't be too big to fit in the bottom drawer of the F&P dishwasher.

Do you have dinnerware that you really like (for dishwasher use) and do you remember the make and model? Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice F&P dishwasher *friendly* dinnerware?

The Lenox butterfly business fits pretty well. Just wish it was available in plain white because I love the weight and dishwasherability but gack is it girly.

Having the bowls go in nicely without requiring a gap is a big deal for us--we mostly use the fruit and pasta bowls.

Watch the height on your plates, too. The Lenox just barely fits in the regular drawer (no problem on tall tub of course).

o

I have some of the kate spade stuff from bed bath and beyond. I know there are a bunch of styles, but it's just the simple matte white plates and bowls. They all fit fine in my FP.

o

I have Noritake everyday china. I use it, well, everyday. Love the lightweight, thin plates and ease of emptying the dishwasher. I always wanted fiesta ware and my elderly motherinlaw talked me out of it, because of the heft and thickness. I'm glad she did, since I'm not getting any younger.

Lots of choices of everyday china on the Noritake website. Mine is Autumn Whisper and is unfortunately, discontinued.

My plates only fit in the top drawer of my fisher paykel dishwasher but that's fine. It's the one I use the most.

o

Thank you all for sharing the information.

My husband says he likes Fiesta ware because he likes heavy weight, but I had to veto it because I'm the one who works around the kitchen and ends up carrying all the dishes. I will check out the dinnerware you all posted here.

However, I also want to find a robust set just for casual gathering when our best friends bring their kids who like to swipe things off the table. I happen to stumble on Corelle. For today only, Shopworldkitchen sells Corelle Openstock Dinnerware 50% off (must buy min. 6) with free shipping (code: REWARDS). I jumped on it and got myself a few sets. I like the fact that they are oven/microwave/dishwasher/freezer safe. Not sure if DH will like the light weight dinnerware, but that'll get us started in our new kitchen (I didn't keep any of our old stuff) while I slowly shopping for the right choice.

o

I love Corelle! That's what I wanted but the spouse wanted the girly stuff. Corelle does have a tendency to explode into shards when it breaks though.

o

Ikea 365. Is relatively flat, but very heavy duty. And incredibly cheap. Made in Turkey I believe. Actual Feldspar porcelain, and can be microwaved. I always like a dish with a rim.

Several reports on this forum in the past that the Ikea dishes fit well in European-style dishwashers which have narrower spaces between the tines. The Ikea dishes come in sets, and individually. If you do break one, no biggie, they are so cheap.

My experience with Corelle dishes is that if you drop one, they shatter into a million razor-sharp shards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea 365 Dinnerware

This post was edited by akchicago on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 8:38

o

I have Corelle, depression glass large plates and IKEA 365 (purchased for use in lieu of plastic plates for large gatherings). They all go in the F&P dishdrawer easily. Yes, the Corelle shatters, but it does so very infrequently. It's light, does not chip, takes up very little space in the cabinet and I can grab several at a time from the dishwasher with one hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here