Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Kitchen works well!

judydel
13 years ago

We are ALMOST finished with our addition/kitchen renovation projects. I haven't been on GW much over the past many months and I hope everyone's projects are going well. I used to spend so much time on here . . .

My husband is semi retired and now grows EVEN MORE than ever in his miscellaneous gardens. He even sold raspberries this past summer at a local farm stand (150 bushes!!). Here are some photos of just a sampling of his bounty and my attempt to can, freeze, dehydrate, cook, bake it all in my new kitchen. I must say, having all this room and organization makes it sooooo much easier to handle these big projects, while still allowing space to make lunches, dinners, etc. at the same time. I'm so content.

Here are some veggie photos first . . . and in a subsequent message I'll post some fruit and berry photos.

We had lots of pepper this summer. I dried the hot ones to be used as crushed red pepper and I froze the sweet ones. These peppers are sweet, believe it or not. Notice the apple peeling, coring, slicing project going on at the sink in the background.

Our 4' long garden sink came in handy this summer. Here are tomatoes being washed and readied for canning. I canned 50 quart jars of tomatoes this year.

This is our canning cupboard : )

Top shelf down:

Dried apple rings, dried eggplant, dried string beans

Canned peaches, dried hot peppers, apple sauce, peach jam, raspberry jam

Apple butter, tomato puree, and some more hot peppers

I made fermented pickles in a crock this year!

Comments (59)

• islanddevil
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Judydel. Wow what a bounty! Where do you live that you can grow such a variety? I'd kill for those raspberries and my hubby would kill for garden grown tomatoes! Also, I'd love to see more pictures of your kitchen. Are they posted on GardenWeb? If so can you please provide a link? I'm new to this site and still figuring it out. Thanks.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cathy, I'd love to see photos of your kitchen in the garden shed. What an interesting idea. Yes, I've been called crazy once or twice! It wouldn't be so bad if I was home during the week. But I drive from CT to NYC each day (2.5 hour drive each way) because my daughter is a pre-professional ballet student. So I did all my canning, dehydrating, freezing, etc on weekends and late at night.

Island, I've posted photos of my kitchen in various stages in the past. But it seems GW doesn't "hold onto" old posts and photos anymore. So I'll repost some here. These photos are about a year old and show the project in various stages of not being completed, lol. I'm so happy we're almost done, actually once the crown molding is installed, our kitchen project is finally complete and I'll post photos in the Finished Kitchens Blog.

New mud room

Combination Beverage Center/Garden Sink/Egg Washing/Drying Station, lol.

• trailrunner
    13 years ago

Thank you I am going to look into getting one. We have no space for gardens but I have lots of local produce from farmer's mrkt. so I will take advantage and get crackin'. I have a large sink and area in my sunroom for all of this so I am 1/2 way there. I love your set up. c

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I can't believe you drive 5 hours a day!!!! (OMG I think I'd die) And you still have time to produce all that? You need to send me some of your energy pills because I need a boost of whatever it is you're taking! I hope I can start canning again next year after the kitchen is done and the baby is a bit older.

Where does your daughter do ballet? My cousin's wife is a former Principal Dancer with the NYC Ballet. Helene Alexopoulos. Heard of her?

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Breezy sometimes I do think I'm going to die, lol. Just kidding. Actually, this is our second year commuting to NY. Last year I felt like a homeless person, I'd drop her off and then I'd try and do bookkeeping for my business from the car, Starbucks, wherever. But I just rented a space in SoHo so now I have a place to do my books and I also set up half of my space with my massage table so I can offer Energy Healings. (Aha, that's where my energy comes from!) I'm excited to develop a clientele in SoHo This coming week I actually have 4 appointments already set! If you're interested www.crosbystreethealing.com

My daughter dances with Ellison Ballet. It's a small very prestigious school. Edward Ellison is a fantastic teacher and he teaches most of the classes himself. I haven't heard of Helene Alexopoulos but that doesn't mean anything. Until recently, I never went to the ballet in the city.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I am so in awe of your skills!

• biochem101
    13 years ago

Wow. The Ronko Dehydrator. I am SO getting one. My DH also has a green thumb, although not on such a large scale. This was a fantastic year for berries, tomatoes and peppers, wasn't it? Our peach tree is just starting.

I'm kind of glad the growing season is over as it inundates me and I too work full time. I mostly freeze, or make jam, or give it away! Thanks for the dehydrating idea.

And I never get tired of seeing that really cool sink of yours. :)

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

biochem where do you live that your peach trees are just starting? Our peach trees were done early this year at the end of August. Yes berries, tomatoes, peppers all were very prolific. We were gifted with a bunch of pawpaws this year even (we usually just get a few). Everything grew in abundance. Great summer for gardening. I'm glad to see others love this important practice. We even save our seeds now. Never know what's going to happen with our food chain. I like knowing we can grow and put up organic, non-GMO food. My DH raises chickens for eggs and meat. He is even considering growing 3000 meat birds a year (500 at a time) as one of his semi-retirement projects for profit. He won't do that on our 2 acres, though. There are a couple of nearby farms that would be interested in letting him lease a couple of acres to raise the chickens.

Here is a photo of some of this summer's pawpaws. This was taken one busy summer weekend when I was making yogurt and drying cherry tomatoes. Note the Gartopf pickle crock in the background.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Geez! Every time I turn around you've posted another cooking project! And with that same beautiful light streaming through in the background. Now I'm jealous of your natural light too!

Energy healing! Must be it! Send some of it through the cyber world to me all the way across the country in Washington!

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awww breezy don't be jealous of me. I'm just an old crone and you, YOU still have a baby in the house. Now I'd trade places with you in a NYC minute! I didn't sleep much back then during the era of the three babies with all the nursing going on, and the family bed, and the new struggling business. BUT I'd still go back in a flash if I could : ) Enjoy it!

As for sending you energy, actually if you check out my website I actually do offer long distance healings. Under Scientific Studies you'll see that they did research at the University of Maryland and University of Exeter and confirmed long distance healings work. Well practitioners and recipients have known it works but it's nice to have confirmation from the scientific community for the skeptics out there.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trailrunner you asked about drying apple slices so this photo is for you. This handy gadget made the task of peeling bushels of apples a snap (actually a spin, lol). When dehydrating you prepare the fruit/veggies and lay them out on the trays in single layer without them touching each other. With the Ronko dehydrator you manually rotate the trays every couple of hours so they dry evenly. Fruit and veggies usually take a day and a half depending on the water content of what you're working with. Near the end of the process you have to watch them so they don't over cook. If I'm not home near the end, I unplug the Ronko and plug it back in when I'm home again and able to keep an eye on it. Once dry, I store the goodies in canning jars. If you don't dry the items completely, they can mold. If that happens, throw the moldy pieces away and the rest is fine. If it's a sign that the fruit/veggies aren't fully dry then you should put it in the oven on low for a bit or put it back in the Ronko. It's really easy.

On GardenWeb under the Garden Forum there is a group called Harvest. Lots of good information there on drying, canning, etc.

This gadget actually peels, cores and slices. You just stick the apple on the prongs and turn the crank! I bought this one at Bed Bath Beyond but I'm sure these and other versions are easy to find. It was $19.95.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

woweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! magnificent! you're obviously having a great time in your gorgeous space ...and making very good use of it too. don't tell me this was all in one day, was it??

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha kate, no. These are photos from different times during the summer. ANd yes, thanks, I'm having a great time : )

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kate this was from today.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Does the vacuum base peeler stay put? I've never liked those things because they always let go.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pinch me, I used it quite a bit this summer and so far so good. If the base goes then I'm sure it's worthless. Did you get yours from Bed Bath Beyond also? I hope it lasts but I must admit if I have to buy a new one every two or three years I'll do it . . . because it's worth the 20 bucks to not hand peel/core/slice bushels of apples, lol.

• doonie
    13 years ago

What a great working kitchen! Everything looks beautiful. We don't have nearly the space you do! I am so impressed with how lovely the produce looks.

AND you drive 5 hours a day!! My goodness, what a good momma you are!

Does my heart good to see all of these lovely food photos! Thank you for sharing!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

judydel, I gotta have the recipe for that veggie pie thing and the name of the pattern of the plate the pumpkin pie is on!!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Just In Awe....of it all!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Yes - that veggie pie sure looks good! I have an abundance of eggs right now, and a freezer full of veggies that would look right at home served up that way!

I'm starting to feel symptoms of withdrawal - gotta find more things to process.

love seeing all the pictures - sure does look good.

Cathy

• foosabear
    13 years ago

WOW. Seriously, that is so impressive. Count me in awe as well! :o)

Would you mind sharing some info about your glass knobs and pulls?
    I keep trying to figure out if the pulls are chrome or polished nickel. Your kitchen is wonderful, I love the "feel" of it!

• kevinw1
    13 years ago

What a great garden/processing kitchen! We didn't do as much canning this year because of other projects (and it was a cool year this year so not as much harvest of many things - hardly a squash in sight!) but we'll be processing again in the future and I'm looking forward to having a much better sink setup.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Oh my! I came back to check this thread and am blown away by your double sinks, all your fixtures and 5 hours a day on the road! Too bad I am on the other side of NYC by about 45 minutes or I'd have you hang out here while you wait for your dd. How long are her classes btw? Isn't there a train you can take instead? How old is she?

Our sons are still little (almost 9 and almost 7.5). They change interests fairly often but keep me busy locally. One son likes to try everything he can and the other, about half of everything, lol.
    We did the whole family bed, nursing thing and I miss it, but not the lack of sleep. I tandem nursed for a while since they are close in age and the first guy was still gung ho for nursing despite my pregnancy. He did not know what hit him when the little guy was born because post partum, when the milk came in big, he was not used to it being so plentiful any more. Now, I think there is dust in there, lol.
    Our 'baby" was born at 9lbs 5oz and just grew faster than any child I ever saw. He is bigger than his older bro by about a half inch and 20 lbs. Even if he does not play, I bet he gets scouted for football, lol. The ped says he will beat 6'6" and yet I have to design things in the kitchen so they can reach them in the near future as well as later on.

I bet you are so proud of your dd and her dedication. I am so blown away by people who find their talent early and put in the time and effort so young. Sometimes the ability is just so obvious and other times, it shows itself later on. I am so curious as to what path our sons will take someday.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to see so many people appreciate and/or participate in gardening and putting food up. When I was in my early 20's my husband and I lived next door to an elderly couple that grew massive vegetable gardens, fruit trees, berries and even had bees. The husband did the gardening and the wife did the putting up. My husband at that point was already an avid self taught organic gardener. But he learned so much from Charlie over the 3 years we were neighbors. Louise taught me about canning and freezing and baking. If we hadn't lived next door to them I may not have realized the possibilities of preserving home grown food. Charlie and Louise didn't have children . . . so they enjoyed sharing this knowledge with us. In return my husband helped Charlie as needed since he was aging. He even donned a bee keepers suit one day and went with Charlie to retrieve a renegade hive that had run away. Those were interesting years and I am so grateful.

This summer the harvest was especially good. Now that I'm on facebook I decided to share the adventures in the kitchen while canning, freezing, pickling, dehydrating, etc. I'm at the point where I can be a Louise for other young people. I hope to inspire others to consider the possibilities of growing their own clean, organic food grown with loving intentions . . . and also expose people to the processes of putting food up. If you're not exposed to it you don't even realize the possibilities or have a frame of reference to draw from. Anyway, that is why I have so many photos (and I have many more) because as I did a project I took photos of the steps and posted them on my facebook for family and friends. In my circle of family and friends, my SIL is the only other person that knows how to put up food.

pinchme I'll post the recipe (I make it different every time) for the frittata soon. I can also post photos of other frittatas that I made this summer. The plate was bought from the Fishes Eddy in NYC. They have a website and you may be able to find that pattern on their site. All of their dishes are sturdy ware like you'd see in an old dinner. My all white dishes are from there also. Very reasonably priced.

Dandridge my pulls are chrome and they are by Shaub (item #730-26). The glass knobs are by Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=46355&cat=3,46742,44008&ap=1
    The larger glass knobs are by Emtek and are called "Old Town Wardrobe Knobs"
    I actually used a large assortment of cabinet hardware.

The ORB cup pulls and knobs are RH Gilmore. The chrome knobs are two sizes made by Colonial Hardware.
    The latches are by Rejuvenation Hardware.
    The bar pulls are RH Ephram in orb and chrome.

Danilo, you're too funny "now I think there is dust in there". Well, it was fun being buxom while it lasted. Maybe that's why I nursed each of them for so long until they self weaned at around 3 years. For me it seems like a long ago dream, since my boys are 21 and 19 and my DD is almost 16. She trains 4-5 hours a day, five days a week in Tribeca only 7 blocks from my office in SoHo. When they are getting ready for a performance then rehearsals run after the normal day of classes. I am so happy that she found her calling early in life . . . she's very dedicated and focused. Predictions of 6'6"??!! Wow!! And aren't you nice to try and plan that height into the kitchen design. Is your husband that tall? Isn't fun to watch your kids unfold into who they are?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oh I am in love with you, your canning and your crystal knobs. Do you have a blog? I would love to online stalk you. I'm smitten!

And love your hardware choices! I have similar crystal knobs.

You know, I live in FL but visit NJ yearly. I wouldn't mind being invite into Soho for some dried apple slices!

Okay, I sound like a psycho. Sorry. But I am in love....

And your kitchen cleans up real good, too!

• prill
    13 years ago

Judy - it's so nice to see you back here. You make me feel like a total slacker... you are so impressive. It's also nice to see your beautiful kitchen again.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Hi Judy,
    Glad to see you back here. Everything looks great! You know what your dh needs now? Bees! You will double your bounty! And besides that, look at what our one little hive gave us this year: 2.5 gallons of Honey! Yum.

{{gwi:1895755}}

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Seriously, you are putting me to shame. I am a SAM, and don't drive 5 hours a day and am barely able to get a home cooked meal on the table each night. You Judydel (as are the rest of you GW'ers) are remarkable with all that you do! I posted a follow up last evening but for some reason it didn't go thru, but I wanted to let you know between you, Trailrunner, and all that reply to these posts have inspired me to get moving in the kitchen- I am making homemade chicken soup and while it does not NEARLY compare to what all you culinary experts make regularly, I want to THANK YOU for re-inspiring me to actually use my kitchen!! I am in AWE of all of you!!!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

i've been thinking of you lately judydel... didn't you put in the Amalfi floor? how do you like it? good to walk / stand on? I've got to make my decision on flooring this next week. I'll be taking a close look at your flooring in the pics you've posted.

I love your kitchen - and the beautiful sight of all of that preserved food! I used to can back in the 70's. I also learned from a neighbor lady. She was from the south and such a great cook. No one ever turned down a chance to eat her cooking...

I can't do that anymore but am going to attempt to dry some fruits and veggies next yr. I also plan to grow a few veggies if I can get set up for gardening at a level so I don't have to bend over to do it. (garden on legs...)

It's so much healthier for a person - so many chemicals etc on / in our foods these days. not to mention what it can 'pick up' thru processing!

I'd also love the veggie pie recipe - it looks delicious!

• foosabear
    13 years ago

Judydel, Thanks so much for sharing the details of all of your beautiful hardware! And thanks so much for sharing the beautiful canning pics. It is very inspiring! I "ditto" everything Sabjimata said LOL.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

That flower plate isn't one the web site!! Waaaaaaaaaa!
    I'll probably order some cat/dog glasses though. Sure do like that plate. Oh, well.
    I learned how to make yeast dough from my "elderly" neighbor lady. In retrospect, I bet she was about as old as I am now ;-) I learned a lot from her. I haven't canned for 20 years. I do freeze stuff but nothing like what I used to do. "Next year" for sure.

Waiting PATIENTLY for the veggie pie recipe. Hint, hint.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You gals make me giggle.

Beekeeperswife your honey looks delicious! Wow! That's a lot from one hive. Do you grow flowers specifically for the bees or just let them collect from the garden, neighborhood, etc. But honestly, if it doubled our yield I'd really be in trouble, lol. We actually have a lot of bees in our gardens and the family isn't bothered by them, so it makes sense for us to try our hand at having a hive. DH gets stung about 3 times each summer . . . the bees get crabby when he picks while they're collecting, lol. I'm sure DH could figure out how to get one started since he did learn from Charlie all those years ago.

sabjimata I've thought of starting a blog for next summer. Maybe I'll do that and show the progression . . . preparing the soil, planting, tending, harvesting, putting up. If I do, I'll let you know. I like that you speak from your heart chakra and I love you too : ) Actually, I briefly checked out your blog a day or so ago and I'm very impressed. I made a mental note actually to go back and spend time perusing your site to get pointers on how to format my garden to table blog idea. Definitely let me know if you'll be in the NY/NJ area. I could show you my new healing studio and share a jar of apple rings.

prill and gilly no beating up on yourself on my account please. I've had summers that are more productive than others. Life's like that. Things ebb and flow. I'm just interested in inspiring people, I don't want to make you feel less than. I'm sure you're all super women in your own ways!

desertsteph we have Florida Tile Chiseled Edge Travertine in the color Picasso in our kitchen. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm sure you can figure out a way to garden without bending over. I'm picturing container gardening with the containers sitting on a low table of sorts or stone wall? so that the top of the containers are at a comfortable level for you to work. You can grow quite a bit from containers.

pinch me just call the store and they'll ship the plates to you, I'm sure. You could send them the photo via email to be sure you get the right ones. I have two sizes, 6 1/4" and 7 1/4". On the back of them it reads, "Syracuse China". Oh and they're cheap, but sturdy. Isn't it crazy that suddenly we're the wise women? Where did all those years go?

Okay so here is the recipe as I posted it on my FaceBook this summer when someone asked for the recipe. The frittata at that time was made with chanterelles, mushrooms that we picked in our secret spot in Maine while on vacation.

I didn't really follow a recipe but I can walk you through making a frittata.

1. Start by lightly sauteing whatever vegetables you plan on putting in it. In this frittata pictured, I sauteed in olive oil half an onion, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, a red pepper, chanterelles (mushrooms), a summer squash and a zucchini. If I remember correctly, I had to drain the liquid from the skillet after sauteing the chanterelles.

2. Put the sauteed veggies into a bowl. If you have stale italian bread you can cube it and add that to the veggies. Or you can add left over pasta. Bread or pasta is optional.

3. Heat up butter in the skillet. Make sure you use a skillet that you can put under the broiler, like the cast iron skillet pictured.

4. Beat 8 or 10 eggs with a whisk (the amount of veggies and eggs depends on how many people you're serving).

5. Put the veggies back into the skillet and arrange.

6. Pour the beaten eggs onto the veggies.

7. Add pieces of ricotta or fresh mozzarella or any other type of cheese. Adding cheese is optional. When I do add cheese I push the pieces down under the beaten eggs. Or you can just sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

8. You cook the frittata on top of the stove slowly on low heat. I find that when my heat is set nicely, the frittata gently bubbles around the edge a bit. That way I know it's cooking slowly.

9. Once the eggs have set and thickened, and only the surface is runny, run the skillet under the broiler for a few seconds. Take it out as soon as the "face" of the frittata has set and is lightly browned (or not browned at all if you prefer).

10. You can slide it onto a serving plate with a spatula or just cut it into wedges right in the pan.

Manga!! You can't ruin one of these babies. You can add any number of veggies, cheeses, bread cubes, pasta, etc. What makes it a frittata is that you don't flip it over. You cook it slow and then run it under the broiler. Let me know if you have any questions.

This next frittata I made with fried diced small potatoes, onions, garlic, red pepper, zucchini

And the frittata that I posted earlier in this thread was made with LOTS of everything. I stuffed it with fried diced small potatoes, onions, red pepper, broccoli, cubed stale italian bread, feta, artisan raw hand made cheese and parmesan. When I made that one I poured the eggs in the pan first and then arranged the fixings afterwards, making sure everything was submerged in the egg. So see, you can do it anyway you want really and they come out good. Just remember to cook slow on top of the stove. You aren't making scrambled eggs . . . you want it to cook slow because it's dense with all those fixings and it needs time to set slowly. If you cook it fast the eggs brown too fast on the pan and the rest is runny. Like I said earlier, you know its cooking slow when it bubbles around the edges a bit. Oh and when you saute the veggies in the beginning . . . don't cook them too much . . . keep em crisp, (well except for the onions, those I like to saute till soft).

If you make one, post pictures!

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh and look what DH made tonight . . . home made crab filled ravioli !!

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

judydel--I can't think of a better use of a kitchen than yours! Truly amazing all of the fruits and vegetables from your garden yum yum! I want to be invited over to your house for some home made pasta with that sauce!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Man, you're making me miss my kitchen! :/

I did get exotic tonight and made buttermilk biscuits in the brand new toaster oven, though, which was surprisingly successful. :) And I actually might be able to pull off a frittata---I think our baby cast iron skillet fits in the toaster oven, which does have a broiler setting that I have yet to test out. If not, I'll just keep looking at this thread (and that beautiful bread thread) to tide me over...

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Thanks for the recepie

Had to laugh "adding cheese is optional"

Not in my house - cheese is required for just about everything!

Cathy

• cata3
    13 years ago

I dream of having my own garden one day. You seem to really be making the most of yours. Are you still pleased with the single-double oven. I see you also have an oven on your range. Which oven do you use for baking cakes and pies? Thanks.

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Judydel,

This has been my all time favorite thread! Everything about it says LIFE!

By the way, I used to love going through the plates at Fishes Eddy, though I've always thought it was Fish Eddy's. ;)

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cata3 I use the smaller of the double/single for heating up food since we opted not to have a toaster oven. I use the larger of the double/single for baking. If I'm doing a lot of baking I use both. And I use our gas full size range oven for baking chicken, turkey, pizza (anything messy) . . . also for broiling. I love the arrangement and am so blessed to have such options.

marytw "Everything about it says LIFE!"
    Thank you Mary! What a grand compliment. As far as the Eddy . . . I just looked it up and actually it is neither . . . it's FISHS EDDY, lol. Do you live in NYC?

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are more photos from the summer since you all seem to enjoy them so : )

Brussels Sprouts & Eggplant

Oregano

Figs

Rosemary

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oooh please start a blog!

And invite us all over for a garden party. I will make a deliberate trip north just for the occasion!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Can we remember to resurrect this thread next spring? I'll have all the fixins then. The hens aren't even laying much right now.

I emailed the plate to Fishes Eddy. Maybe I'll get a couple yet. In the meantime I searched for Syracuse China and found two patterns I like on ebay. A bit pricey with shipping. I have an Illinois China plate and platter and cups but I can't find any more of those either. As I'm hunting Google images I'm reminded of dishes I have packed away somewhere. they haven't surfaced in this little time frame of putting my treasures into the new kitchen. I must remember to look for them. I like your plate with the Ravioli on it. I'm always on the look out for small old plates. I prefer to buy one but I've been known to buy 4. I can have a different pretty plate every time I set the table.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

judydel- Fishers Eddy doesn't answer email. Any other ideas? I've searched google images for "Syracuse China". I did find some but not that one. On the back of the one I bought at the second hand store yesterday is the number 96-1. It's the one of the flowers with the parrot or bird of paradise or whatever it is. Is yours numbered 12 MM or 90-C? That's what I see on ebay for what I think is your plate pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this the right pattern? Colonial

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinch me, from what you showed me, Colonial is the pattern. I didn't give you the number on the back of the plates because each one has a different number, lol.

You could call Fishs Eddy. I've shopped in the store and I've seen them take orders over the phone. You could call and see what they charge as opposed to those on ebay. Good luck : )

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Judydel. Thank you for reposting some kitchen pics. I love it. Shame Gardenweb doesn't keep them; so yes please post on the finished kitchen blog when you get to that point. And let us know in this one when it happens.

I think you should keep this thread going with more posts of what you're making with your garden delights AND you must provide the recipes! That frittata looks delicious and I appreciate the recipe, but I'm sure trying to duplicate it supermarket to table will be nothing like your garden to table cuisine. Where do you live that you can grow all those goodies?

Oh before I forget.... I notice you have an appliance garage pretty close to the left of your sink. We're thinking of doing the same, but I'm not the neatest cook and worry that a cabinet down to counter that close to the sink might be a splashfest. Is that an issue at all?

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

island thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I love to take photos of food and would be happy to post more of our garden delights, and recipes if requested. We live in the northwest hills of Connecticut, but my husband has a 60' x 20' greenhouse so we end up with a longer growing season.

Tonight I made a "salad bar" with garden lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, carrots and garden beet relish. I added other goodies too as you can see (chicken strips, artichoke hearts, olives, garbanzo beans and feta cheese).

As you may know, I have a two bowl sink and we wash in the larger bowl on the right. The bowl on the left is mainly used for draining. I measured from the center of our wash bowl to the appliance garage and it's 5 feet. So it isn't really that close. Of course, no splashes. How close would yours be to your sink?

Salad Bar. Notice the roasted beets on the right . . . they came out soooo sweet! The white bowl on the left is the beet relish with horseradish.

• bickybee
    13 years ago

This thread must not disappear!

I just want to say that I love that shot with the long sink. That would be my favorite corner of the kitchen.

Love that you have shelves specifically for eggs! My eggs are always sitting in a bowl on the counter, but they deserve a dedicated spot.

I see in one of the pics you have a Harsch pickling crock. How do you like it?

I am also a pickler/fermenter/preserver.

Nice to see a genuine working kitchen!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I finally got the Danish Puff made.
    {{gwi:1975991}}

You'll have to click this little picture to go to photobucket to see it bigger.

Danish Puff
    1 C flour
    1/2 C oleo
    2 T water
    Mix as for pie crust. Make a ball. Divide in 1/2. Spread on ungreased cookie sheet making 2 long strips not too close together.
    Then put in pan
    1/2 C butter
    1 C water
    Let come to a rolling boil.
    Add flavoring ( I use almond extract) and remove from fire. Stir in
    1 C flour immediately (I use my little hand mixer). Add
    3 eggs one at a time. Beat until smooth and spread over first mixture. Bake 350° for about an hour. Cool completely. Drizzle with powdered sugar icing. I use almond extract in that, too. Cut into strips.

• judydel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bickybear thanks for the compliments. I used my Harsch pickling crock just once so far. The pickles came out great although I did still skim some of the lactic acid scum off of the top periodically. Next summer I'll definitely make more. Thanks to GW I have a couple of good recipes.

As you can see, I topped some of the jars with fresh brine and some of the jars with the fermented brine from the crock.

This isn't the food blog that I've talked about starting. But I did start another blog. Let me know what you think : )

http://adventures-and-blessings.crosbystreethealing.com/

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

Judydel--

I am sorry to post this here but this thread could use a bump anyway since it is canning season.

I know I never got back to your lovely email because I wanted to take the time to write an appropriately lengthy response to your sweet and giving email. And I know that was over a year ago!

Well, I can't find the email now. And I can't find your address. Are you still on GW? I don't see an email address for you.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to me. I have your pictures (the ones in this post) as part of my screensaver slide show so I am always thinking about you.

Sorry if that sounds weird!

XOXOX hope you are well.

--deva

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia