Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

General layout suggestions please!

Fori
16 years ago

I realize I've asked this before (or variations on this) but we can't decide and we're meeting the designer tomorrow and are looking for more opinions. The designer isn't a KD but is the cabinet maker. I don't know if that makes a difference except I expect to be told immediately if I can't DO something (he IS aware that I want non-standard depths).

Background: galley kitchen, 9' wide so not really skinny, but no way to use walls on the end. Wide low window at one end which will have a tiny table (we will ask the cabinet guy about some sort of small banquette in that area. The spouse thinks keeping booze under seats might keep my father-in-law away from the good stuff). The small table will be for casual seating, little kids, prep and serving, but not for "real" meals. Too small.

Pardon my lack of proper sketching program...

We are sort of basing our design options on the cheapest appliance--the fridge. We found one we really like that is only 30" wide (cabinet frontage is the limiting factor here), but it's standard depth. So we're going with 30" deep cabinets on one side with appropriately deep uppers. It's a bright room and we're going for white and possibly some glass cabinets so we don't think it'll be cavelike. Deep cabinets gives us a little extra storage which we will enjoy as well as a little extra counter space to work and/or shove small appliances.

OK. Option 1.

Not sure of the precise locations of things within inches--the fridge won't be quite that large but it'll still be close to the window. Could probably stick some narrow shelves along the side. It's a single door so it will open.

The tall pantry in the bottom left may not be needed--it depends on what space is determined necessary around the sink and range. Trash and DW will be on either side of the sink.

(The door by the fridge goes to the main foyer, the one on the left to the garage with the door to the dining room just below it.)

Option 2: My computer won't let me upload pictures since I upgraded my router. :) But not hard to describe:

Window wall (normal depth cabinetry): sink under window, DW, trash, extra drawers to fill space.

Range wall (30" deep cabinets), left to right: 15" tall pantry (or no pantry), 30" cab, 30" range, 30" cab, 30" fridge, ending with a funny corner cabinet/hutch thing 30" wide. Appropriate uppers/hood vent where space permits. If we ditch the pantry, we can do 36" on either side of the range. It'll also have about 6" of counter behind the range which I think I might like.

This is very similar to the layout we currently have with functions very efficiently. SO we KNOW this layout works. But function is only half of it...

So, sink-by-the-range people! Do you like it? Or do the lots-of-empty-counterspace people think--o, wait. That's the same plan. What is BETTER?

Comments (9)

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

The only option I can think of is possible using the corner where the fridge is for a corner pantry. You could make it very pretty too, such as lighting the top cabinet area and using glass doors. I don't know if you have a microwave but you could put that in there too I guess, then use the bottom 4' for food items etc (what ever needs space).
    That would give you more room near the range if that is a concern and then u have an open area to put what ever size fridge that you want/need near the eating nook area.

Here are a 'few' pics to see if this would help. Also there is a pic with the sink very near to the range like you have in your layout.......I think it looks good : )
    Also a really cute seat/storage area under the window....in white cabinets too!!!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Not sure if that helps or if it's way out there.

• Fori
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I do like those corner pantries for option 2. I was thinking of having a separate upper and lower in that spot because it's so close to the dining room (and garage) doors--I thought the extra visibility around the bend would be useful. If we laid it out right, we'd be able to fit in the toaster and coffee pot and isolate their mess.

The sink by the range seems really practical from a chopping/cooking point of view. But of course, the kitchen is so small, everything is going to be close--one reason we're keeping it this size.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

In option 1, what if you switched the sink and range. I know it's a small kitchen so nothing is too far away, but if the sink was closer to the frig, you could just take out of the frig, prep at the sink and then move over to the range. Maybe just a minor point in the grand scheme. I would like the sink and range on the same wall. No need to be walking across the aisle with all that just prepped food to use on the stove.

• Fori
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, not a bad idea, Malhgold. I think the range would still be a safe distance from the doors and table and I'd be less likely to have a bunch of dirty dishes teetering on the edge of the counter (not really, but I can pretend).

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I prefer the appliance locations of option 2 - cabinets can be configured according to your needs. While it's nice to have range and sink on same wall, I'm concerned about the limited counter space there--as this is for both prep and cleanup; while you have the vast unbroken counter on the opposite side with no sink or range. Reality may well be you will end up going back and forth anyway and dumping dirty dishes on the window wall counters or preping that side--just because it will not be open--or worse yet, it may be used as a drop zone since it's not as convenient for other uses.

• Fori
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another excellent point, Val. The reduced area around the sink has me a little nervous. Not too worried about prep area as we currently prep in a ~40x12" area by the cooktop. Although, I use the cooktop itself for prep and I won't be able to do that...

I like discreet areas. Drives visiting family crazy--"nono that's a clean area!"--but it does help when you can't count on someone to clean up after themself. (That goes for me too, of course.) While I love the look and feel of miles of unbroken counter, in a way, several chunks of around 30" is somehow easy to work with.

Maybe I really AM overthinking this...

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Have you thought of breaking up the "vast" counterspace with a window seat like Saskatchewan_girl's last picture? I think it would be nice to have a place for someone who isn't helping to sit and chat with you--or for you to sit and take a breather or to have a cup of tea (or coffee). It doesn't have to be too big...maybe 3' or so. That would still leave 57" of counterspace for "overflow" prep or as a staging area for food prior to going to the DR to eat. You could even make the seat 4' and still have 45" of counterspace...

I think switching the range & sink would be a good idea and them moving them both down a smidge (6" or so). You'd have 24" b/w fridge and sink and 36" b/w sink & range & 30" the other side of the range. You'd also have the fridge closer to the sink and the work flow would not cross itself...fridge/pantry-to-sink-to-range-to-staging area.

Hope this isn't too late and HTH!

• rosie
    16 years ago

Have you made any decisions, Fori? What did the designer say?

If it isn't too late, Buehl's suggestion sounds good.
    There are a couple things that make me think #2 might also be very good. I was once watching a professional chef on TV filmed in his home kitchen, and he loved having his fridge right by the stove because so much he needed was a quick grab away. It does make some real sense to prep between stove and fridge in your case rather than stove and sink, partly because of that, but mainly because of the sink's dual function--let the used stuff pile up on the other side of the kitchen, where there's room for a second person to deal with it.

It also really seems a shame for the 30" deep cabinet not to be used on your main prep area. So, where are you at these days?

• Fori
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas. At this point, we decided to tell the cabinet designer to go with option 2. I guess it just seemed safer. We're not committed to anything yet, though.

The window seat idea is sort of nice, but I'd never be able to give up the storage. I did tell the designer to try to figure out some sort of seating for the current table area under the low window (the upper right). It really is a small room, so having seating there is pretty close to the prep area already.

My cooktop is currently almost directly across from the sink. I do usually prep by (or ON) the cooktop and it is still pretty convenient. I can (and do) throw stuff into the sink from the stove area, and don't miss too often.