Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacilynn_gw

dark cabinets are ordered, now what color for counter?

stacilynn
12 years ago

I have ordered my cabinets in an alder wood with auburn stain. Simple shaker style. I am going to have a wood floor, most likely a lighter shade than the cabinets. The kitchen is on the small side, 9'x16', layout will be an L-shape. The sink will be centered under the only window which will be 5' wide. So my question is what color should the countertop be? Should it blend with either the cabinets or flooring , contrast, be light, dark. I want to avoid a closed in feeling but really like the look of dark counters. But then it seems like the backsplash should be on the darker side too. Really stuck and need some guidance here. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (13)

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

I don't think you need to have a dark backsplash if you have dark counters. I have shaker lyptus cabinets with an auburn stain, a light travertine looking porcelain floor and dark soapstone counters. My very short backsplash is white subway tile.
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

What do you like?
    Are you a clean lines person or do you love movement?
    what colors are your drawn towards? Cool? Warm? A mix?
    BRight, Fun, crazy, calm, soothing, relaxing, or natural?

You love black but worry about a closed in feeling?
    Toss that silly thought aside. Black can often open up
    a space in ways you don't normally imagine. A black
    counter can create length and vastness that sometimes
    a lighter counter can not. So put the thought of black
    back on table while you search ideas out.

What kind of lighting? Natural light or fixtures?

What style?
    Have you done the sweeby test? Is there a feeling you are
    going for?

I have lots of ideas, below are just a few to get us started.
    Let me know what you like, detest or can't live without
    and I will try to find more for you...
    ~bp

,,,,for counters with alder auburn stain in a simple shaker style with lighter stained floors,,,

Imperial Blue Granite

Giallo Veneziano

Kosmus (cosmos)

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the pictures. I guess the first photo is what I am drawn to and I really don't care for the stark contrast of the white counters. But I would like to see ideas of counters more in the tan rather than black color scheme if they are out there. And I probably should add that I am doing laminate rather than granite, it's just not an option for me. I realize that most of the remodels here are more upscale but I have a 30K budget for EVERYTHING. And that is pushing it.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are some laminate countertops that might help you
    with ideas for your space.
    ~bp

Formica

Yes, it is hard to believe that all these iamges above
    are laminate. Some are by Formica, Nevamar and others by
    Wilsonart. This is definitely NOT your grandma's metal
    trim edged formica of the 50s.

~boxer

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes these laminates are impressive. The trouble I have is that I am such a visual/tactile person it is soooo hard for me to picture what the little swatch will look like in the whole kitchen (I am the one who has to actually move the living room furniture around several times to see if an arrangement will work). These pictures really help. It's too bad the laminate makers cant have a sample picture for every color. Wilson Art has a visualizer but it really isn't the same as seeing pictures like you have posted. What edge would you recommend? Not crazy about the angled beveled edge or the fancy ogree one. And the no drip looks kind of well... so laminate to me. Any opinions on this? I know a lot of posters here won't want to waste their time on low budget renos but I am hoping there are a few out there that appreciate thinking "outside the box".

• ellendi
    12 years ago

" I know a lot of posters here won't want to waste their time on low budget renos" Not true! We love all type of renos, large or small, high end or low end.
    I am like you. I am never happy when I choose from a swatch. Some people have the talent to visualize and some don't.
    You will have to do a lot of research, but i am sure you will find the look you want in an inspiration picture.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Low budget? Pshaw. My remodel was less than $20,000 and I'm plastered all over this forum. ;-)

Do you have a photo of your counters or link to the manufacturer, with your exact style and color? Might make it easier to help you pick --

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

What colors do you like?
    Maybe we can do a search.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

take the route of something like wilsonart venetian ale-a look with particles-on the medium to larger size. Your costs are going to stay modest with laminate so, go for a definite "look" as opposed to a bland look.You don't have anything to lose...it will give a visual focus and then you don't even notice or care about the fact that it's "just laminate"....the thing about them is so many imprints can go onto it....be a little daring and don't worry about the size of the space-just don't do a jarring color break from the overall tone in the space.Have fun with this.My cousin just did natural hickory with a granite look laminate-a big pattern-and iron hardware-it all looks good!

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

low budget-yes considering we took out a wall to open up the space and we are going down to the studs. Starting from scratch, moving plumbing, moving a window, My countertop color choices I have been contemplating are as follows: Formica-Brazilian Bronze, Amber Kashmire and Ivory Kashmire. Wilson Art-Bordeaux Juparana, Antique Roca and Golden Juparana. I like the darker colors more but worry they will be too dark.Maybe not. I will probably do a yellow wall color, not bright possibly a mustard or butternut shade. I like the linear backsplashes rather than the small tiles. They just seem too busy.Any thoughts?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I found a few pictures, but you are right the samples are
    often tiny squares which do not do the entire look justice.

Yellow is very pretty.
    ~bp

roca

Roca

Amber Kashmire

Formica-Brazilian Bronze

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After hours and hours of looking at kitchens, I have fallen in love with jodi in so calif kitchen. It has the dark cabinets and the fire and ice backsplash is to die for. She has a black granite countertop. Would a lighter shade look out of place? And could the look be captured in a laminate? If so which one would look ok? thanks in advance.