Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Green Demo Kitchen Nearly Done - help with Backsplash, please!,

Nancy in Mich
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am nearing the end of my second kitchen remodel. This time, we did it on the cheap - about $17K. I used Green Demolitions to buy a set of Quakermaid cabs that were 23 years old. I designed the layout and hired my carpenter from the first kitchen to do the installation. DH and I refinished the cab doors and drawers. Together, I think we did well (if you don't look too closely at the variation in stain and poly coverage).

We got the rest of the cupboard doors up last night and I took pictures today. (That is, all but for one door, that we can't seem to locate. You'll see where it goes, in the spot that reminds you of when your seven year-old lost a tooth just before the class pictures were taken!) Six months ago, when we embarked on this project, I thought I had chosen a backsplash. I was going to use the leftover tumbled marble from my 2003 kitchen and DH and I bought a granite deco strip. We also got resin liners to accentuate the strip and to tie the color into the countertop color.

Here is the design I chose:

Here are pictures of the kitchen:

The original plan was to have the backsplash all along the counter with the sink on it, above the desk, and above the shallow counter where my clock and metal plaques are. Now I am not sure I want the BS under those metal plaques and clock. Oh - I have enough resin rope liner to use as a top liner for where the tile BS ends on a wall without cabs above the BS, too.

My biggest problem is that as I have looked at more and more BSs on the forum and the finished BS blog, I am not sure I want to use the tumbled marble tiles. I am feeling that they are "so 2003" and that they do not do the deco pattern justice. So I am asking you TKO folks to help by giving me ideas of what you would use with my granite deco pattern and resin liners. I cannot spend a fortune, but a few hundred more would not break the bank. Mostly, I want it to click, to look planned and not thrown together. For all I know, you may all say the tumbled marble is fine. I am too close to the matter to judge it clearly at this point.

Just in case the photos are not working, the link below takes you to the first photo above. Just keep going to the end. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: My pbase site

Comments (14)

• dianalo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From what I can see of your kitchen, without seeing your bs choices, my first impression would be to go with a low bs overall. I'd do one just higher than the outlets and keep it a more sleek look to go with your cabs. I picture a cream/wheat color that pulls from your floor and counter and I'd prefer it in a smooth ceramic (with or without color variation). You already have pattern in your counter and floor. I'd want something mellow to tie in.
    I agree about tumbled tile marking the time period it was used.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo, it sounds like you cannot see my backsplash pictures, so I will link to them below. I must use the granite deco pattern. We paid a lot for it. There was a display of these beautiful, curvy water-jet cut patterns that we just loved, but at $40 a linear foot, it was too expensive for us. DH found the pattern that we bought among these. Because it was simpler, the cost was lower and we could afford it. When I look at my simple diamond pattern, I remember the swirls and leaves and other patterns we could not have.

I was thinking that we need a plainer field tile with the deco strip. Maybe a polished finish, maybe a matte finish, but very plain. I was wondering if there are ceramic or porcelain tiles that any of you could point me toward.

Click on the link to see my mock-up. Click "next" for a close-up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash mock-up - must use the deco strip

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Now that I can see your bs deco strip, I think possibly a metallic tile to match the rope trim in the liner or a ceramic tile in a metallic finish might work very well.

I'd still keep it as a low bs and use the deco strip as the top edge.

Try this site to get an idea, but you might want to try for more economical tiles elsewhere:
    http://www.prattandlarson.com/catalog.php

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Dianalo. I love those Pratt and Larson tiles and would have gone with any of their tiles if I could have. I have loved their tiles ever since I first saw them. I searched their site and don't see any metallic ones, though. Could you have been thinking of a different company, of did I just miss them?

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    Last night I did a search and found various glass subways that might work. What do you think of these? I sent for samples in Cappuccino and Khaki. I would get the smooth, not the beveled. What do you think of this idea?

I saw an Architectural Ceramics glass tile on the finished backsplash blog in blue, so went to their site, but their stores are all in the DC/Virginia area, so I cannot even find pricing. They had colors that looked very promising, but I did not pursue it because I thought they were probably very expensive. If anyone knows the cost range of their glass subways, please chime in.

Can anyone direct me toward a stone tile or ceramic tile that they think might work for me?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass subways

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you look and the P & L catalog, try page 8, C605 or C600.
    I know they are pricey, but if you search around you may find something similar for less money. Page 80 also has great choices but I bet they'd be hard to find elsewhere and may not even coordinate as well.

I think glass would also work, but I think there will be a price issue with it as well.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to two tile stores today. The one where I bought the listello and my island tile showed me a simple ceramic tile that I like. It is a subway tile by US Ceramic in a color they call Fawn. I thought the matte looked less bathroomy than the shiny finished tile. It is a warm beige, so picks up the warm colors in the island tile, and tones well with both the coutertops and the listello. I am waiting to see what it looks like in the light of day in my kitchen tomorrow. I was able to bring a half of a tile home to see how it will look.

Are people having trouble with my photos above? I do have links in my posts on this thread that will take you to the photos I am speaking of.

Dianalo, you have been quite helpful. I downloaded the P and L catalog and looked at the pages you chose for me. I love the metallic tile, but it might overwhelm the listello. I think my friend over on the Smaller Homes forum had it right when she told me that she thought the field tile needed to be less busy so that the kitchen is not overwhelmed with yet another pattern. I would grout the Fawn in a color very close to the tile color if I decide to go that route.

Any more ideas?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think a mellow tile would be perfect with the listello. A classic ceramic is a great backdrop for your special tiles and lets them be the focal point. I had suggested the first 2 metallic tiles because they were simple and did not have much going on. The later choice was more of a whim.
    How tall are you looking to make the backsplash?
    For some reason, when I look at your pictures I can't visualize a full height bs.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I love your accent tile for the BS! will watch for a pic of the 'fawn' next to it when you get it... I don't care for the glass subways with all of the grout around them.

I wouldn't want any other tile to detract from it... I'm posting a pic from my sister's kitchen (as usual). She had a great over the range scene picked out (mountains out here) but it came in at tons more than they told her it would so at the last minute she just let her dh put in what he wanted (he's the cook). i love her BS tile (the solid tiles, not the rectangular design) - it's a satin finish. I think it's probably best to go with the same sheen as is on the accent tile?

would something like that work for you with your accent tiles?

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo, I had originally planned to do a full height BS, with one row of the field tile (so that the sideways outlets are covered by the field tile and I am not having my listello interrupted with plugs and covers), then the listello, then two rows of field tile. If I get subways, though, I will do two rows of field tile before the listello. I had also considered tiling all the way around the window, but I think not now.

Steph, I do like the look of your sister's field tile. I was stuck on subways, probably because I see them so often in photos here. The 6x6 tiles (my guess) that she has do look fine, though, and would mean less work for me to install. As for sheen, the listello is both polished and honed. I had not noticed until the saleslady pointed it out to me yesterday, but the center diamond, the tiles on either side of the diamond, and the long thin tiles that outline it are all polished. The outer tiles to the left and right are honed. Since they abut the next tile, there will be(going left to right) the two honed, a polished tile with cut-out for the diamond, the polished diamond, and the right polished tile with a cut-out for the diamond, and two honed again. So having either honed (matte) or polished (shiny) field tiles will work.

Last night I did more searching, and I found this glass subway tile that looks like it may work. I is, of course, very shiny. The color looks promising, too.

{{gwi:1975867}}

The previous day, I sent for these two glass tiles. They are shown beveled, but I believe I could get them in the smooth style.

{{gwi:1975868}}

{{gwi:1975869}}

And here, again, is my listello.

Here is a link that might be useful: Champagne Toast glass subway

• User
    13 years ago

Nancy, the caption to a photo on your PBase site says
    "The empty spot above the wall oven is there because I took down that door to sand and refinish it. "

Is that the last known whereabouts of the missing door?
    Or did Jim have it after that? Do not know the chronology of events.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML, I think you found the necessary evidence. I am the one who has that door. Okay, I stopped looking when I figured that Jim had it. Tomorrow, I'll hope for warm weather because it seems I will be taking the garage apart looking for that door! I need to organize it, anyway, if I am going to have any hope at all of being able to pull a car in this winter. DH has heated seats in his, so I will use that as a reason I need the garage space. ;-)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

nancy - it sounds like you could go with matte or shiny, it's a personal thing I think. I don't care for shiny... others do. some don't mind either.

if i were doing a tile BS, I'd sure go with larger tiles, the less to set, mess up (lol!) and less grout to worry about/clean. I just shudder to think of cleaning all the little tiles people use these days - so many places for more dirt and grime to live...

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My missing door was found! Jim had it in his garage. Silly carpenter! He took it home to make the door on the corner cabinet to match, and forgot that it was one of the doors I needed. (I have a few cabinets we are not using)

Now I just need some warm weather to be able to stain it. I cannot use the oil-based stain inside the house, and it is 20-some degrees out there in the garage now.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz