Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mays802

Quartz Seam? Scratches? So tired as we finish the remodel!

mays802
9 years ago

Hello - You all have been so helpful with my questions. Here is yet another. What do you think of the seam on my Cambria quartz? It is a tiny bit higher on the far side making it even more visible to me. Is this a typical looking seam or can they do better?

Also, the backsplash was grouted yesterday. We love it. Today, however, I am noticing scratch type marking in the quartz. Is it possible to have the buffed out?

So tired as we cross the finish line of this remodel! Thanks for your help.

Comments (16)

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic...

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and another...if there is a way to post more than one pic in a message, I can't figure it out! :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"What do you think of the seam on my Cambria quartz?"

mays802:

I think they didn't use the manufacturer's recommended seam adhesive color and they've tried to disguise their mismatch with black magic marker which appears kinda blue/purple.

"It is a tiny bit higher on the far side making it even more visible to me."

The state of the art tool for making seams is the latest incantation of the Gorilla Grips. I saw them at the tile show in Miami several weeks back, but I make so few seams these days I can't justify selling mine and buying the new ones. There should be zero lippage with the Gorilla Grips. They are so powerful, they will pull a bow out of 3cm estone or granite.

"Is this a typical looking seam or can they do better?"

It isn't typical, but since your splash is in, I'd start looking for cosmetic solutions.

"Also, the backsplash was grouted yesterday. We love it. Today, however, I am noticing scratch type marking in the quartz. Is it possible to have them buffed out?"

Yes, but it can be very tricky with quartz. Getting the scratches out is easy, matching the factory finish after the scratches are removed is not. I'd recommend they try Steve's Polishing Pro system from Braxton Bragg.

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the input. The kitchen company we are dealing with agrees the seam is not acceptable and is calling back the counter people to "work on" the seam.

• coco4444
    9 years ago

I'm not a professional like T., however as a consumer I totally agree. I have Cambria, albeit a lighter colour. Here is my seam (and I have no "scratches" like those you point out in photo #3):

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I can barely feel mine so they are flush. I saw someone else's and it had l lippage which was frustrating to OB. She might chime in on her experience with lippage. Hope you get this fixed

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Yes, as the rest have said, that is bad seam. I had Cambria in my previous kitchen and the seams were barely noticeable. It was a dark color (Welshpool Black) as well and the install was about as perfect as it could have been. Good luck with your resolution! It's so frustrating to see the finish line and not quite be there yet.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

The seam is not good. The backsplash is amazing! Love.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, what can be done about a bad seam after the fact? I assume the epoxy has already dried.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Jillius:

I'd try some color matched dyes or even some better magic markers, then hit 'em with some cyanoacrylate and scrape 'em flush.

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They did say something about using a dye to match it better.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

co-co - good seam. I can't even see it!

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update:

The counter people came back and worked on the seam. I am so much happier with it now. The marks also came right off. I think they were some grout residue from the back splash. Thanks everyone!

• mays802
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's still there but they blended the color much better this time.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That's great - it does look much better!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Beautiful - thanks for the update, and kudos to you for insisting that it be fixed to your satisfaction.