Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

How is your curved sink (esp Silgranite) sink supported?

mudworm
11 years ago

I've been scratching my head on this one. We need to install a Blanco Silgranite Performa Medium sink in our 36" sink base.

It will be undermounted under granite. The instruction shows the locations for clips that will go up into the countertop (quartz for us), but I would feel much more at ease if I could also have some support from below. Ideally, the sink can still be removed in case of cracking or change of preference in the future.

Unfortunately, the Sink Setters I've been eying will not work with sinks of the curved shape. I can't use the sink setters going short ways (front to back) because I have tilt out trays.

Can you please share with me how your curved sink was supported from below? Thank you in advance!

Comments (5)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Get rid of the tilt outs. And with the depth of your sink, unless you did a bump out, you may not even be able to fit them in anyway.

Or, build a wood cradle like you would for a farm sink. That will rob you of a lot of room in the sink base though.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh no, I want my tilt out trays! This sink's cutout dimension falls within 17"x31", so I'd think my standard 36" wide sink base should be able to handle it.

Hmm... one installer told me not to be bothered with sink support and they will take care of installing the sink for me when they install the countertop. They use one version of sink setters that they get through their supplier.

We may not end up using him since his schedule is fully booked until Jan 2013. I'll see what the other installer say. It'll be nice if I don't need to DIY this part.

• chicgeek
    11 years ago

We just had this sink installed 3 weeks ago. It is a flush undermount in a quartz counter top. The counter fabricator installed the sink when they installed the countertop. They installed an additional support that is constructed of heavy wire with a bracket under the large bowl (kind of looks like an "X") with each point of the "X" attached to one of 4 small metal ring type brackets that are screwed into the inside of the sink base. These folks are a large supplier of granite & solid surfaces so I didn't even question what they were doing. You don't see this support when the cabinet doors or tilt out is open.

And we do have a tilt out. Although our contractor installed it after the sink was put in (cabs are custom built).

Hope this helps.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks chicgeek for sharing the information. Your setup sounds pretty cool. I hope mine also turn out that way. Will have to see what the installer says.

I certainly do not want a bulky wood cradle.

This post was edited by mudworm on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 1:09

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I have that sink and it was installed with the clips and insructions provided by Blanco. The fabricators had no problems installing it. There was no additional support system used. The sink is under mounted and has been in use for almost 1 year. It certainly seems solid and secure. I don't invasion it falling down at any time in the future.
    Not sure this picture helps much but here is what it looks like inside the cabinet. I have a pullout trash on the left side.