Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week 27: A day late and $ short!

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Holy Moly!

(Edited to add: Theme! Winterization. What's on your list and how are you doing it? Thanks, BLFenton!)

I completely forgot it's Saturday. My work schedule is wonky, which means I have no idea what day from moment to moment.

So. No theme for me this week. Anyone want to volunteer?

Today I ran errands. Petsmart had their kitten week, and there was a baby who could by my fat Kharma's son. Oh.... so ..... beautiful and sweet. "But," the Voice of Reason said, "Not only do you already have F.I.V.E., you cannot handle a kitten."

So.
Going to take a nap on this freezing day.
Then I might go jump start my generator for it's monthly, 15-minute run.

What are you up to!?

(Christina22, I really hope you feel better soon. Ebola is a tough one to kick.)

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 15:58

Comments (30)

• schicksal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I updated the 3D model of the house for the next two phases of the complete rebuild. I haven't touched it in a year so there were a lot of corrections to make to bring it up to how the place actually turned out so far.

In a few minutes I'm going to throw lunch in the oven and install the new Ecobee. Maybe it will be ready to eat around when I wrap up.

I hope the new CC comes in the mail today. My old # was involved in a data breach and there should be a new one any time now... I would like it to get here so I can get breakfast and.lunch for next week at work already.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I always read this thread but seldom contribute but CEFreemans mention of checking her generator made me think of :

How about a ready-for-the-winter house maintenance thread? For those of you who have winter -

furnace serviced and filters cleaned?

Hoses emptied and connections turned off?

gardens tidied and cold intolerant plants brought in or protected?

snow tires on and anti-freeze checked? scrappers in the car?

salt bought, snow shovel at-the-ready,

For those who might lose power - generators checked, firewood ordered or cut, oil ordered if necessary....

What else? Care to add to the list?

This post was edited by blfenton on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 16:15

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brilliant!
    I just edited my original post to include Winterization!
    Frightening list...
    I've repotted 2 Japanese maples (have about 5 to go this year)
    Planted 6 in their permanent homes (I hope!)
    Put all my potted items into one garden bed and loaded it with leaves.
    Ooo. Gotta roll up all my hoses (oh, boy.)
    Need an oil change
    Furnace needs checking. When the fan, hot or cold, turns off or on, it clunks.
    Make certain I've got enough mouse poison
    Plug the obvious holes in the house with insulation and tape it in.
    Get the guys who were working under the house to put water in the barn for themselves, to replace and tack up the insulation in my crawlspace. The floor is F.R.E.E.Z.I.N.G. already.
    I'm concentrating on cleaning up the outside. I'm building this potting bench, where I hope to get all my potting crap out of the front doorway (try running down my steps!) and out of sight.
    I'm going to try to break down some of the recycled construction materials I have stacked in the front yard and move them to the barn. This includes about 50 6x6s of all sizes.
    We will probably have enough warm days still, that I want to make a paver pathway between 2 gardens, in 2 places. This should use something up!

Winter goal: Don't buy or pick up anything more until I finish a project and use some of what I have.

As of today (and yesterday), though, in this cold weather, I've done absolutely nothing but think about what I want to do.

I consider that an accomplishment.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I am in full hibernation mode today, even though it was sunny for part of the day -- I coulda/shoulda hauled out the mower and run over the front lawn to pick up some leaves and shorten the grass to its overwinter length (2") but I didn't. And now I am sorry, because I have to work tomorrow and the forecast is for snow tomorrow night, and well below freezing temps the rest of the week. Temps like we usually don't see until late January.

I have a pot of "Thanksgiving bean soup" on the stove, using a recipe that my DD's kindergarten teacher gave out 25 years ago, and the bone and scraps from a pork roast that we had last week. It does make the house seem warmer! I still have a basket of green cherry tomatoes that I intended to make chowchow with -- not sure that I have the motivation though. I seem to have used up my preserving mojo on the mincemeat.

I have already tended to the hoses, washed, sprayed and brought in my plants (well, I had one pineapple sage that was still blooming so I left it in the ground, it is probably toast now), got the furnace checked on Thursday, had the car looked at last month. Washed the 2 big picture windows but didn't get around to doing the other 15. Still need to fill 2 spray bottles with deicer, one to keep in the car and one for the porch (I hate to scrape)

It should warm up again a bit before Christmas, and I hope it does because I still need to clean the gutters -- I mean the P.O.C. gutter covers -- was waiting for the leaves to finish falling. This involves climbing on the roof through a window because I don't have a tall enough ladder. And I will have more leaves to clean up since my ornamental pear is just now turning color (gorgeous purple and maroon) and should drop its leaves. I say should because there have been winters where it held its leaves most of the way through.

And I have spread only just over half of the truckload of ground leaves that I got from the city. Also, I need to re-do some of the netting that I strung to keep the deer away from my blueberries -- not sure if it was the wind last week or the deer themselves that dislodged some of it. And I realized that I missed one tree when I was fencing off the baby fruit trees so I need to get more metal fencing and do that.

Trouble is, I just don't want to go outside! It is cold!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

raee - I agree, it's cold outside. We have an early blast of colder than normal temperatures and I still haven't finished cleaning out my planters. October was warmer than normal so they lasted longer than usual and then bam! it got cold. It needs to warm up so I can finish that.

Hose bibs are turned off and cars are ready to go with their snows. We need to have our snows on by November 1st for the mountain passes and as skiers we are always ready for the snow.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

I've missed a whole week on the house. I hope everyone had a good week. I've been playing logger all week. For 15 years I have been begging my neighbors to take down two Douglas fir trees that had sprouted in front of their house. They were tangling up our phone lines and blocking the sun and ruining the sidewalks and leaving needles on our roofs, etc, etc. I told them this year was the last I would offer because they are getting too tall for me to do it myself (they are now over 40 feet tall), and this year they finally agreed. It's dark by 5 now, so I don't have a lot of time during daylight most workdays. This job should take me about 4 hours to bring the trees down.

Monday: I have the whole afternoon off, so I started limbing the trees upwards, planning to top them and then cut down the trunks in sections. Then the wind started blowing. The phone wires prevented anything from falling to the south and the wind was blowing strongly from the north, so I had to stop for the day.

Tuesday: Still windy, but I continued limbing the trees upwards. I stopped because I was worried about all the limbs tangled up in the phone lines, our lines and everyone else's. I called the phone company and they said they would send a bucket truck right out and trim the rest of the trees for me. I put away all my equipment and wait. They show up with a van and a couple of ladders. The phone guy said no, we don't do trees. He said good luck and left but not before he said the wires are pretty strong and if I took one out or hung a branch from one that I could not reach, he could come back and fix it. Gee, thanks phone company.

Wednesday: I topped the smallest tree during a lull in the wind and misjudged by 3 feet and took out my neighbor's TV cable. She called the cable company and they said they would fix the downed cable and would bring a bucket truck to top the trees for us. I take all my equipment down and wait. They show up with a van and a couple of ladders, and the cable guy said no, we don't do trees. He did fix the downed cable. Gee, thanks cable company.

Thursday: I limbed the larger tree higher than the first so there was no danger of taking out any more lines if they fell where I wanted them to but it was still too windy to top it. I take all my equipment down.

Friday: Too much work, no spare time, and wind was still blowing.

Saturday: No wind! Maybe I can finish today? I had been using a reciprocating saw to limb the trees as it is much safer than a chainsaw, but I needed a chainsaw to cut the trunks. All I had to do today was top the taller tree and then cut the trunks. Piece of cake, right? About 11 this morning we got the taller tree topped no problem. Now to cut the trunks... and the chainsaw would not start. I fiddle with it and discover there is spark but no gas to the cylinder. I take all the equipment down. I then go to the saw shop, buy a carburetor rebuild kit and new gas line, run a few errands, get home, rebuild the carb, fiddle with saw, and finally get it running about 4 this afternoon. It's too late to work on the trees now, so I take care of some chores before dark and end my day. Go inside, build a fire, eat supper. I'll take the trunks down sometime next week. I doubt it will take more than 30 minutes. They are only about 25 feet tall now.

That was my week. Did I have fun? Oh yeah! I love cutting wood, but it was a huge waste of time. I did absolutely nothing on the house this week.

Might hit 20 degrees tonight, so I put a cover over the remaining exposed hose bibb. That was the last thing I did today before coming in.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Holy RMtDoug! What a rigmarole!

I've done and will likely do nothing this weekend. When I have Sat/Sun off I'm at the rink back and forth all day with the boys. Not a lot of time for much else. There is also soccer today. Tomorrow I'm off but I am working the Book Fair at school. I am finally getting the windows back that I sent to get some "plastic" in so they won't break all the time. They are also fixing the window in my back door. I dropped all that stuff off around Halloween. Took them long enough. At least it wasn't an emergency.

Last night when we got home from the rink my outdoor motion lights were out, so I'll have to climb up and get the bulbs out and go buy new ones. I can't see to get in the house without that light.

Re: Winterizing - Last week when my one son was not feeling well I managed to get my front yard cleaned of leaves, not that you'd know it now, and part of the back. It is much colder than usual and they are calling for snow this week. Hopefully I can get at the back yard on Thursday when I have a day off. I did get my patio area cleaned up, the chairs, table, umbrella and swing cushions and canopy are all inside now and I cleaned up the potted plants. The snow shovel is in the sunroom/storage room and the scraper is in the van and I have used it several times already.

Have a good weekend, all!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Back from CR. No winterizing here.

CR was great. Could have been anywhere though, just good to spend time with the team (job#2). I'd sure like it to be job#1, and I made it known that I'd love to get an offer of full time, but I doubt it'd work financially. A girl can dream though.

I have lighted pendants! It was the guy who built the fixture that hooked them up wrong. He and a buddy came Thursday night and fixed it. That was nice to come home to. They have left-over random bulbs in them now. I'll go get something more appropriate today.

Hope you're feeling better C22.

ETA: Sorry, texted iphone pic from DH. Tilt head as necessary.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Nothing much will get done today. Idunno why... Bad or too much coffee perhaps, but I am not feeling so great.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Schick- sorry you aren't feeling good but you do need a day to relax and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cal- I'm glad you had fun on your trip, lights look good!

Doug- that sounds like a lot of work! Are you gonna save the wood for firewood?

I woke up to this

So we lit a fire and then hubby and I made a tasty brunch. I'm planning to make jelly today, make pumpkin purée and clean the house.

The kids want to go out and play but it is currently 18 degrees with a wind chill making it feel like 3 degrees, just TOO cold.

As far as winterizing, the biggest thing we had to do was close the pool. We also moved the hot tub into the garage so we could still enjoy it during the winter.

The outside faucets have their covers on, we have no trees dropping leaves so there was no raking necessary.

I hope everyone has a good day and stays warm!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes, I'm finally starting to feel better. Apparently the dipped in gold antibiotics are effective. I can't complain however because my oldest brother fell down the stairs in his house last night and broke his leg in two places. He had surgery on it today and that went well. I suspect we'll have two less for thanksgiving this year, it's a long way to travel with a broken leg.

As far as winterizing goes around here it's making sure the grill is in good shape and cleaning the deck. It's finally time to go back outside!

Didn't get the laundry room fully painted (coke cans exploded in my garage fridge so I spent a chunk of the day dealing with that) but I did get the trim and the door done. The door goes out to the garage and is in terrible shape. Lots of dings and two of the six panels are cracked through. It's not going to be replaced before thanksgiving though so I slapped a coat of paint on there and called it done. I'm hoping to blind people with semi-gloss in order to avoid "The house is coming along great, what's the deal with the door?"

This post was edited by Christina222 on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 19:24

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

MGMum - you got that right! It was one of those jobs where nothing really went wrong but nothing went right either. We eventually ended up just laughing through the whole process.

Texas Gal - Glad you asked because what happened is pretty neat. The wood from the trunks will go to a disabled vet. He was going to haul off the branches in return, but there were so many branches. The pile was huge. Being near the holidays, my neighbor contacted the church to see if there was any use for the branches for wreaths and sure enough they wanted all of them. They will be making Advent wreaths on 11/30 for 300 families and there are probably enough branches for all of them. They will pick up the branches on Monday. So it all worked out really well in the end.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Doug, that is awesome that it is all going to very worthy use!
    I can't believe your were attempting all that in this gloriously bright but cold weather we have going on.

The tree guy gave me an estimate via email this morning, then said "can I stop by and go over a few things if you accept it" ..sure..nothing going on here today..
    The estimate was way under what I even could have guessed! Just under $900 for 4 very large tall healthy trees. I keep the truck load of chips from the branches. We supply the man power and chain saws to cut the trees up once down. My "man power" takes the logs away for their fire places/stoves.
    He is going to drop them full length.
    Probably happen around the first of the year.

Winterizing: hubby just put some new weatherstripping around the front door. Yesterday we put a foam insulator on the non Frost free spigot outside.
    We just warm up the cars...no scraping..lol..

He put a cord and plug on my stove hood...the lights and fan worked...the lights quit again but the vent still works. That's all that's needed until we start tearing up and replacing the cabinets. He thought he fried it a month ago.

I put the mini van in the shop last week. It needs some work before gifting it to boy, wife and grand daughter on the way. Not to bad but cutting into my kitchen budget..lol...oh well..Ikea needs to sort out Sektion first anyway..I've got time to refill my cofffers.

In the mean time I can search CL and places for a range hood, sink, lighting and faucet.

TG, it's to early for snow! Hot tub in the garage..lol..
    Love the pendants/box CalQ.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Terri - That sounds like a fair price including chipping the limbs. It's amazing how many there are and the pile they make.

It was a bit nippy this week but the afternoons when I was out were not that bad, and it felt really good to be getting this done.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Winterization in this part of the world means that you should take care of everything involving the attic so that you're able to survive the experience. I've logged temperatures in the mid 140s up there and on the roof at just under 180.

Today I ended up cleaning a lot and that was really about it. But, this is a return to what normal was before all this work started. It feels strange to look into the dining room and den and not see constrictionland.

I suppose it's time to wrap this project up and knock the last few things left to do off the list. The next project is mostly bedroom and bathroom related, and I can't imagine that board being anywhere near as active as this one is so I may return to the building a house forum. Having a firm idea of what I will be doing would help.

I discovered with the 3D drawing that the washer and dryer will need to be immediately off the master bedroom instead of in the closet. At some point I will get to journey into the unknown part of the attic to see what it looks like above the bathroom. It would be cool to raise the ceiling but I am not sure it will be possible. It's a large bathroom but the layout is bad and it feels small and cramped.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

That's warm, schicksal. I got a reading of 150 directly off my roof surface the summer I re-did it. I have a remote sensor in my attic now and the hottest it got this summer was 112 degrees, and that was just one day in June.

Been meaning to ask if you are interested (free, of course) in some oven handles I salvaged off a Tappan 400 range I removed from my kitchen? You are the only person I know doing an authentic mid-century remodel and these are so cool I could not toss them with the rest of the range, but they don't fit the style of my house.

Let me know if you think you can make a home for them. The handles are 6 1/2" long and good chrome, not the cheap stuff. I even have the black bases for the screw holes. Here's an ebay listing so you can see what they look like. Mine are somewhere in my shop :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tappan 400 handles

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Those handles are cool...could one use them as a closet door handle?

Doug, the break down was basically $150 a tree plus $200 for the chipper/truck. He's not making a lot on this job that is for sure! But I appreciate the deep discount..and will happily pass his name on to others!

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Terri - sure, a closet handle could be one use. They are not much different than kitchen drawer pulls in size but heavier and stronger than what one normally finds nowadays.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Plumbers are here doing the rough in and attaching to the septic.

Hopefully we will have the slab poured by the end of the week.

Terri- you know I've lived here my whole life and I still get amazed by the weather. Last week, it was 82 on Monday, 30 on Tuesday. Then it warmed back up to the 60s by Friday and Saturday, then snow and high in the 20s on Sunday. Today's high is 48. Ehh, its never too early OR to late for snow, OR really high temps. I've seen it snow in May and I've seen it be lower 80s on Christmas day. All part and parcel for the region.

We have a saying around here, don't like the weather? Stick around 5 minutes and it will change!

Schick- are you going to post a final reveal now that the kitchen is pretty much wrapped up?

Doug- glad to hear the wood is going to good use!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Here's what I look at most of last week, from my deer stand in Minnesota:

This was Sunday - we had another 3 inches of snow on Thursday, and it was cold all week. Friday morning it was -6°F when we went out into the woods.

Usually I love to be out in the woods, but last week was a struggle. I'm very content to be back in my nice warm office this week! And now the big project is laundry.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Gave the ovens a pre-thanksgiving workout tonight. I never appreciate my convection ovens more than when cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Two, twenty pound turkeys, two hours on convection roast setting, 325 degrees.

These are going to be sliced up and served with rolls, sides and sandwich fixings at work tomorrow. We generally do a huge, traditional sit down feast the week before Thanksgiving but this year we've got a huge project coming due so we're setting out stuff for people to come and go as they can and fix themselves lunch.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Wow I wish we had one of those out on the counter.

@ann - that's better scenery than I have to look at. The weather hasn't even made a dent in the neighbor's overgrown honeysuckle vines. I wish they would turn brown like the plants in the picture.

@Tx_gem - when it's done. Right now I still have something very big missing - the pantry doors. I also need to put the veneer on the beam in the family room at some point.

@Doug - thanks. We may have a use for them... I planned on using the two extra Miele handles from the previous series of ovens on the pantry doors, but if they're the same hole pattern as a sliding glass exterior door they may be perfect for that. Right now the space where the doors would go is a brick wall so I can't tell if it would work out not. Otherwise they may work for a built in hamper to go in a bathroom we will restore next year.

As far as home goes, I am finishing more interior doors today and really need to put in that last pantry shelf. If I can do that and order veneer, today will be a huge success.

Other stuff... Heat pump #1 is working poorly and someone is coming Friday. I paid the lawyer bill for October (ouch!) And insurance has until Friday to respond to the best and final offer sent out. I think it was (possibly too) generous so I'm not sure what I want to happen.

Anyway, better hop to it...

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

schicksal - You are very welcome. I know you will find a good home for them. I think the holes are 4" on center but I would not assume anything until you have the handles. I think they would look spectacular on sliding glass doors. They were originally on side-swing chrome and glass oven doors.

I have my GW email turned on, so when you are ready click on my name for an email where you want them sent.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Cool, thanks!

Around here I was able to finish the pantry shelving and two doors, and ordered a resistor to fix the cordless drill charger instead of the veneer. I'll do that tomorrow. At least things are moving forward again.

I'm glad the cat and dog are not interested in walking on these while they dry. They look less green in person - I think it's the wonderful flooring throwing the color off.

This post was edited by schicksal on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 21:09

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I was thinking of your pantry doors for the handles..it'll be cool to see what you come up with.

Nothing much happening here..money will be going out to fix the mini van and buy 1/4 side grass fed beef.
    Christmas, then trees "down day" penciled in for January 10. $$ flowing out!

Need to start researching how we want to open the closetx2 wall and finish that with the fridge and space to surround it with cabinetry.

Wish there was a better preview of Ikea's Sektion cabs.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

The Miele handles are making the best out of a situation that was out of our control. I placed the appliance order before our cabinets were completed. The extra two handles were for the warming drawer and dishwasher. When we saw how the cabinets looked in person we couldn't bear to drill holes in them and spoil the way they look, so instead we installed finger pulls. The two handles were non returnable though, so with any luck we'll be able to install them on the pantry doors.

I wonder when those are going to show up. Maybe I should call today because they're due already.

I'm not a big fan of our cash flow situation either. Right now...
    - The CEL light is on in the Toyota (haven't reset it yet)
    - HVAC people are coming to look at our lousy heat pump performance
    - I need to buy 18 new strands of LED Christmas tree lights to relamp our tree. Too many bulbs are burned out and half of the strands don't turn on at all.
    - Still gotta order veneer for the exposed beam
    - I need one more spool of LED lighting + three diffusers.

Today is also the deadline for the last chance the insurance companies have to settle. The offer made to them was more than generous, so we'll see how that goes.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Been sick most of the week and trying to recover from being gone in general. Also leaving today for a road trip up north for a few days. DH really wants out of town. I just want to be home. He got sick yesterday and he still is anxious to go, so we're going.

Cabinet folks are coming to put the last pieces of scribe etc. on today (MIL supervising). That should be the last I expect them to do. Now comes the conversation with HD about the permits and lack thereof and how much of that $ they're going to refund us.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cal_quail, I do hope you and yours feel better soon. It's so miserable to be sick and end up having to take care of someone else!

I wanted to ask about something you've not mentioned. Permits. If they were not drawn, how are you going to handle that? All this work is rendered illegal in my state. If you ever sell, unpermitted work can nix a sale.

When we had a house fire, the first thing they wanted to see were permits for everything. Given we'd just purchased 2 years before, and the house was built in 1976, all I could produce were the mouse-eaten, original blue prints. There was much back and forth about how much they'd cover until they determined the cause of the fire (which turned out to be crazy wrong, anyway).

What do you think they'll do about that!?

Edited to add:
    Winterizing.
    Well, I missed the opportunity to unhook all my hoses and timers. They froze and I think it blew a seal. Too cold to tell, and too cold to turn the water off in the garage. Gotta wait for this weekend when it warms to assess the damage.

Still trying to start the generator. I jumped it, but it just won't turn over. Gotta get a friend to at least listen for me.

As of this minute, my computer is making a horrendous noise. I'm thinking it's the fan, since the pressure of my wrists causes it to dull. This Dell Inspiron (my 3rd) 1555 has been a SERIOUS lemon. 3rd hard drive, 2nd battery, 4th memory module, and now this.

AND, I'm sick to the teeth of Internet explorer. I dislike slapping tons of software on my computer that all do the same thing. I've lost yet another browser session, where I was actually working. Downloading Firefox, although I've never liked it very much.

I'm having a not-so-great morning here. Grrrrrr.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 9:55

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I put up our Christmas tree this week. I'm not sure what came over me - it isn't even Thanksgiving!

We don't usually decorate, except for a few things outside. But last year my Mom moved from her big house to a small apartment, and I got her artificial tree, and some of my favorite decorations form her house. I guess I was anxious to try them out in my house!

My project for the next few days is to paint our family room. The hard part will be moving everything out of the room: 3 bookcases, a gun safe, a cabinet that my uncle made that used to hold a 75-gallon fish tank (now holds the TV), a computer desk, and a sectional couch. The room isn't big enough to move everything into the middle.

Today I'll take things off the walls and start moving books. Hopefully I'll be able to start painting by Saturday or Sunday - though my alma mater has their last regular season football game Saturday afternoon, and all work will stop during game time! National champions the last 3 years - we're going for a 4-peat!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Oooh Ann I am dying to put my new tree up! I'm jealous. I'll wait until December though.
    Killer mondo headache this afternoon...almost gone now, so can look at the screen without searing pain.

Cal, why can't he go alone? Lol.........nevermind, I know the answer. ~grin~