Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any thoughts on these backsplash options?

Posted by hobokenkitchen (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 13:42

TILE 1:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TILE 2:

TILE 3:

Whole kitchen:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any thoughts on these backsplash options?

I like #3. Good luck making your choice!

o

#1 first choice, or #3.

o

I just commented on your quartzite thread.

Were you looking at the backsplash tile at Suburban, or is this from another location? Just curious, I looked in that room briefly, and will consider looking there again when it's backsplash time.

o

I think they are all a bit too active and saturated for your kitchen. I think the focal point is the island and the dark backsplash choices will split the focus. Just my opinion.

o

agree with palimpset..just too busy for me.. sorry:(

o

Well, I was going to say too much competition with your other beautiful elements, but you do have that fireplace that perhaps would really balance out #3. If you really want one of those styles, photoshop it.

o

They're OK - None of them grabs me. Do you love any of them?

If you're looking for alternatives, you might want to consider a look that is a little less klunky/busy, like one of the mosaics below
Grey glossy glass

Glass and stone
Grey frosted

Smoke random

o

None..way way to busy. You have so much already that is interesting and rich looking with a sophisticated dynamic . You need something very very subtle at this point. smoke random is the only thing I have seen here that might work. You should either pic the lightest grey in the marble or a white from the marble but nothing with a pattern in the stone. Good Luck ,..better to take a lot of time than to make a mistake at this point with your wonderful space. c

o
look at this thread

sharonite's backsplash might be perfect...she says it reads white from a distance and she has marble in her kitchen...

Here is a link that might be useful: sharonite

o

I really like the second one - I am not madly in love with any of them, but I would REALLY like to bring in some color if possible... unless of course we can by some miracle afford the water jet from Artistic Tile!

o

It's not that I don't lie the white splashes - I do, I just feel like with such a big kitchen in such an enormous room, I want to avoid a stark, cold look. I want warmth.

I do LOVE these shiny, white tiles in the link - but again that's back to white which isn't what I was looking for....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lux glass tile

o

I would find something the in the colors and the saturation of the backsplash.

o

How about all ceramic green with some varyiation in the greens.
Several companies have tiles like this Not on computer to find samples but grazia makes one, on the expensive side- Motawi but there are others.

o

I would choose #2, if no other choice was available. I like the juxtaposition of the honed textural stone, against the glossy marble. It gives dimension to your gorgeous kitchen. I included a pic of my kitchen underway, to show what I chose. The backsplash is a honed marble that picks up he cream of the granite.Like you, I also wanted some colour, so I had a horizontal length of glass, stone and marble tile,to add some browns, wines and greens.This enhances the wine colour cabinetry.I hope this helps.

o

Maybe my taste just differs from most people's?

If we go with a solid color of any hue I would want to have it in an interesting shape at the very least like Bees Arabesques or the harlequins, or maybe a subway with bevel but I'd still prefer something with more color and perhaps a little bling to tie in the chandeliers which don't come out in pictures but in real life are dazzling and seem to be the first thing people see and go 'wow' about.

I wonder if those who think the tile is too busy think our previous (now sold as of a week) kitchen's tile is too busy? That would help me work out if it's a taste issue as I thought it was perfect (for that kitchen).

I'll try and post a pic from my phone.

o

Ok so - too busy? You can be honest, we did love it but it's not ours anymore!!

o

Whole kitchen

o

In your former kitchen the backsplash is perfect because marries all the elements/colors of the other materials together and is approxomately the same level of color saturation as those other elements.

In the new kitchen the choices seem to introduce something completely new to the mix. It's not the level of detail or patterning, but rather the color saturation that doesn't work for me in your new choices.

o

Ok, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

I thought those samples matched the warmth and cool of the rear of the materials. I'll bring home samples of 2 and 3 to see how they look in the space, but ultimately I'll probably keep looking. DH isn't LOVING these either... and they are expensive. Certainly don't want to spend a fortune on something mediocre.

o

For me, I guess it is a taste issue. I think the 3 options you have will compete for attention from the chandeliers and counters. And ... Only because you asked ... The previous kitchen backsplash also seems a bit busy to me.

However, even if that house took 2 years to sell that doesn't have a bearing on what is the right backsplash choice for you today. Unless you are doing this for resale value and plan to move in 2-5 years, that is.

Fingers crossed that you find something you both love and is a good price.

o

Late to the party here. I really like #2. I think it's interesting and fun and since the shape is uniform and non linear, it doesn't seem like it will date as quickly as #3. However, the color tones in #3 I think work a tad better and are a touch calmer than #2. I'm with you - your kitchen is very calm/subdued and perhaps you designed it that way in order to save a splash for your backsplash? In any event, from my view, I think you can take a pattern like these. It feels a little to me like your space is not calling for a linear pattern like in your previous kitchen. That's why I like #2, it's like a mini subway size and doesn't necessarily scream this time period.

I also have to ask - have you recovered emotionally from your GC nightmare or are you traumatized? I feel a little traumatized, our sit was similar. Another big problem was discovered yesterday and it put me over the edge (steam shower rough in didn't make it in @ the rough stage and the shower is fully tiled now).

o

The other house sold in 2 weeks. Everyone loved that kitchen and it looked so blah until the splash went in.

I guess we like some excitement in our backsplash! : )

o

I think the reason this choice is tough for you is that you have two issues to deal with: a very busy counter stone, and your desire for warm color.

Can you see how in your last kitchen your bs was the star? In this one, the counter will have to be. Your stone in this kitchen has much more movement and contrast than the counter in your last kitchen. With busy stones I like the look of a simpler bs without a lot of contrast that compliments the stone and does not compete with it. That usually means picking a mosaic with one color and interesting shapes/sizes (i.e my last suggestion), or two related hues all the same/similar size (i.e the first three).

The other issue is that you want warmth in your bs but your counter stone is cool this time, not warm as in your previous kitchen. The way I usually get warm and cool to play well together is to incorporate contrasting hues in the mosaic with intermediate hues in the mix (i.e. the first three suggestions, especially #2). It will be hard to do this in a simple bs mosaic that won't compete with the stone.

That said, the stone is gorgeous and you can absolutely find a bs you love to go with it, but perhaps you could bring in warmth in accessories and accent pieces. You can also choose a wood tile bs that will have much the same effect as the butcher block next to your stone, but the term "jeans suit" comes to mind here so tread lightly.

Here are some other options to consider:
Fleurs 1 mosaic from mosaic house - I absolutely love this tile. It's hand made, available in 24 colors, and even in a solid format there is a lot of color variation among the tiles, so you can see warm and cool shades of white intermingled. I haven't seen your stone clearly enough to know whether the warm white will work with it - you'll have to see it in your own light. The second mosaic is the same color in Bassat pattern.

Shell tile mosaic from glass tile oasis. This tile mixes warm and cool colors, but the tiles are small and you would have to see it in your space to know if it's going to work. The small size can read like the variegations in fabric (subtle and pretty) or like a migrane in the making.

o

How about just a pop of color over the range and the rest a solid color (white, high gloss subway)? I could see red in there in the same tone as your rug and cooktop knobs. For now to see if you like a pop of color maybe hang something there or get a red utensil crock to place by the cooktop?

o

Phylhl I am so sorry to hear you had a similar GC experience.
Last week we brought our old air con guy up from Philly to finally put the vents for heat and air into the kitchen... which also didn't get roughed in before the floor and walls were in. It is sickening.

We are a bit traumatized. There are days when I still feel like I hate the house and that it's been ruined. The gaping hole upstairs (visible from the breakfast area of the kitchen) where our master bath should be really doesn't help.

I think it does get better with time and you learn to somewhat let go of what it was mean to be and deal with what it is, even if you feel sad over the loss of the vision. I am hoping at some point to have a big party there (if the bathroom ever gets done) and hope that helps wash away some of the old negativity. At that point I would accept any and all compliments and make a conscious effort not to point out imperfections/ tell the horror stories/ describe how it should have been. Just say thank you and yes it does look great. Right now I have a tendency to apologize to guests for the state of the house thereby drawing attention to issues which might otherwise have passed unnoticed. I need to stop doing that!! : )

So sorry to hear about your steam shower - that's something not salvageable after the fact I guess? Are you still working with the same GC or have you switched?

I really hope it all works out for you. Bad GCs are the pits.

o

EAM44 - I LOVE the shell - we have a sample and the colors don't work. I am also unsure whether the whites of the top two would work with the counters. I would say definitely not except Bee posted a picture of her white arabesques with her counter and the whites don't match but it still does work.

I think the last grey one of the previous ones you posted would work and I like it... but I was hoping for more warmth.

I will say that the colors in the samples I posted looked very much like they DID work with the coolness of the counter and the warmth of the butcher block, floors and cabinets. It's why I picked them, because while I didn't LOVE any of them, the colors worked together. So it's interesting that others don't see the colors working the way I thought they did!

I'm still going to bring them home and see what we think in the actual kitchen, but with mediocre feedback and DH not loving I don't think these are quite right.

o

Lisa, I had also thought red, but haven't been able to find anything I think would work at all with red. The butcher block is red as are the range knobs and I would love to pick those up but the closest I've got is the 3rd sample in my op. I've spent a while google imaging 'red backsplash' but haven't seen anything I think would work yet.

o

I like 2 the best, it seems to pick up colors from around the space, and even play nice with the fireplace. Too much for a full BS though, but a good accent strip.

o

I saw in one of my posts that I made an error. I mean I would find a backsplash in the colors and saturation level of the stone fireplace.

Have you considered something like Heath Tiles Tapestry? You can pick the color palette in the pattern you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Tile

o

Palimpsest - I LOVE that! The shiny and mat together is blingy enough and I like the grey in the feature photo (is it too dark?).

DH likes it too.

Any idea how much that costs?

Willamsems - I think 2 is my favorite too, but not as an accent strip - I am just not a fan of them.

o

That pattern is listed as Argyle which is $65 a square foot. You could probably achieve similar in their classic field at $28.75 /sq foot for over 25 sq ft., if you laid it out yourself.

o

$65 is way too for us and not sure if I'm competent to lay out myself. Damn!

o

OK, on the premise of "go big or go home," and feel free to tell me to go home, if you want color you're going to have to go with highly saturated color, so that your busy stone looks calm by comparison. In this case, I think you need a gemstone or semi precious tile. The image below is red onyx mosaic tile. The price can vary from obscene to $16/sf.

o

For this next choice you're going to think I'm nuts - and it's probably wrong for the stone - but I was inspired by the artwork you have on the hearth and in the hallway behind the kitchen. I have no idea if "powering through" the complexity of the stone is the right thing to do, but you either have to show it off and go subtle with the bs, or power through and turn the bs into the focal point. Middle ground is the no-no here. Because you have beautiful artwork, my guess is you are used to seeing your art on a vertical surface, and you have a tendency to overlook the horizontal. If so, this approach is for you.

o

EAM - I love the grey glossy glass from your first post. What is that? Who makes it? Thanks!

o

You have gorgeous floors, cabinets, countertops, sink, range, and the bling of the chandeliers. I really think the BS should not compete for center stage.

o

hey girl. Just saw this thread.

On the topic of the shells, they look really pretty with the lights off, they managed to give a little glimmer and look like the right white. But when the ucl was on, they went flat.

Just so you know, the light gray tiles are in now at MS&T. Just wanted to point that out to you. It's called Vento Gray. I haven't seen it in person, but it is supposed to be a lighter gray than the darker one I had before. Photo makes it look like tan. If you are interested, they will send you samples.

While you are on their site, look at the new hex tile on the homepage. I have no idea about it, but that looks interesting too. Wonder if it is gray and white.

You will know when the right thing comes along. It can be painful to look for so long, especially with so much else on your plate.

Hang in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vento Gray Arabesques

o

Maybe something like fire and ice? Not even sure it's available any more, but it has bling and stone like your fireplace. Love your kitchen choices so far, and fwiw I think the arabesque would look beautiful.

o

I can't add anything new, but I have to agree that anything really busy (in terms of colors and movement) will compete with your marble, and that your granite is the star of your current kitchen. I think all of those choices would conflict.

How would you incorporate your chandeliers into the backsplash? Something sparkly like this one? :

...Or... something like the kitchen in the attached link? It's a basketweave with an inset that is sparkly. It has nice texture and interest, although I'm not sure that it is practical to clean. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cupboardsonline.com/2011/06/white-kitchen-sunday-basketweave-tile.html

o

I don't know if you have moved on, but I really like #1. It just looks so classic with all your other very classic elements. Gorgeous kitchen and I think #1 is it.

o

The grey Arabesques are a possibility, but I can barely imagine asking any of the tile guys around us to install it - it would be a fortune!!

Lolauren, I LOVE the sparkly white tile in the first picture. LOVE it.
The basket weave is gorgeous and yes, just love the touch of bling but it looks like it would be a nightmare to clean.

EAM44, definitely don't like the 'crazy' choice - far too busy even for me! The red is nice, but I don't think it works for us. Too dark.
I'm still LOVING the $65 tile Palimpsest posted. I think it's to die for, but the cost is prohibitive.

So I LOVE the white shiny and the Palimpsest tile, really like the grey arabesques, and still like the second option I posted.
I just don't know if any of them would work - and /or we can afford them.

Ugh this is so hard!!

o

I have not read all of the responses, but I do feel both options are too busy. Have you looked into California Art Tile? Settecento also makes some very pretty crackle colored tiles. Even a tone on tone Bizzaza type would work very well. You don't necessarily have to go with a white, there are lots of less busy, colorful options.

I personally am in love with several tiles from Mosaic House, but alas, it's way out of my price range.

o

The casamood vetro bianco lux mosaic that MS&T carries is very sparkly. It is also currently 25% off. We are considering it, but I will warn you that the sample is tiny and the cost to get it was $30!

o

Lindy - the color is actually "blue sparkle" and I love that tile too. I don't know the manufacturer but you can find it at the link below.

These mash ups may help you to visualize your options. Here are pal's tiles and your second choice is in the post below. Good luck picking your tile!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass

o

Here you go.

o

Hi hoboken, I helped my friend with her kitchen similar color of cabinets with African Ivory granite. We did the small rhomboid (diamond shape) multi color splash in lighter but similar colors ~it is a show stopper. I hadn't seen it in awhile since they have moved 60 miles north and we usually meet for lunch nowadays to visit. But when I was there last for an engagement party it was so breathtaking and still so current even though we did the kitchen about 4 years ago. It still has that wow factor. Makes me want to tear out my splash and do that. I love the Harlequin shape on almost anything so I think that is why it appeals to me so much. They come in so many different combos with great accent pieces. I tend not to like backsplashes that have a sort of racing stripe running around the kitchen set into neutral field and so I appreciate your full out commitment to your last kitchen with the allover application. That looks so great and makes quite a statement, makes the kitchen for sure and brings out the best in everything else!

The linear glass tiles~ I love the kitchen pic we see from one homeowner that has it placed vertically instead of horizontally and just over the stove area with a calmer splash around the perimeter, but not mixed, each stands on it's own. That looks cool. I hope you are doing well and good luck with your choices. Your kitchen is gorgeous and I can tell you have a great eye so it will be beautiful. Love your former kitchen as well.

o

gr8day - sounds great, any pics??

EAM the photoshop splashes are really useful thanks. Now I'm thinking the one I love may be too dark. Hmmmm.

o

Are your cabinets off-white/cream? and the marble grey & white without any cream? If so, I think you need something that marries the warm-tones of the cabinet with the cool-tones of the marble, if possible.

Mission Tile and Stone: 5/8" Mosaic Tile Backsplash:

Mission T&S Vihara Glass

I can't tell from that pic if this is too busy/too many colors, but if you click on this link you can look at the other shimmery options that are similar.

o

Inspiration!
This may be way out in space, but here goes. EAM44 suggested some beautiful tiles. The idea of gemlike tiles in your stunning kitchen really hit a note with me. Perhaps, subdued, perhaps high color saturation.

Last night in the movie, "The devil wears Prada", a kitchen scene jumped out at me. Reminded me of your post. The wall in the kitchen was done in something similar. Very elegant design was emphasized during the entire movie. The tile was done in deep blues and greens, but it is the idea of shimmer and gems, that was so stunning.

Inspiration comes from everywhere, and just in case you can peek at the scene, I thought I'd let you know I was thinking of your kitchen.

o

Now I'm going to have to watch Devil Wears Prada again! : )

What do you think of these three options?

I kind of love the top one, but it doesn't seem to tie in the wood color so well?

o

Hi Hobokenkitchen,

I love the tiles you just posted.
The bottom tile is truly distinctive. I'm in love with it!

I think the colors are perfect:
You have a lot of red in your floor and butcher block.
So, I think the greenish tones in these tiles would nicely complement
the reddish tone in the floor and island top very well.

These tiles would add to the elegant/organic vibe you have going,
with the sparkly chandelier playing off against the stone fireplace,
the cool marble/stone counters playing off the warm woods.
These tiles look like they have the "weight" and presence
you need to balance out the other elements in your kitchen.

o

Hoboken - i love these last ones. 2nd and 3rd are really stunning. The 3rd is really unusual and beautiful. Is it turned horizontal? It seems to me that it should be on the vertical. I would love to know who makes that tile. I'm still stuck and would love to find a special shape like that in a tone on tone, mostly white, version.

On the other matter - it's going ok. We just tend to have so many trades who blow us off. The steam shower can be resolved. They have to cut into the tile to fit the piece. I just hope like heck the kerdi fix can still seal it and ensure waterproofing.

Love seeing your BS options! After the holiday I will be back posting more I hope of options for mine!

o

If you are liking that shape, check out Hirsch Silhouette glass tile. It runs about $30 sq ft. I briefly considered it for my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hirsch Glass

o

Thanks for the opinions - seems like the last lot are a popular choice. I just need to find out how much they cost!

o

Wow, love these new ones!
The third one would be my pick for the pattern and color. You could then repeat the shape in your design plan for your accessories, towels, ceramics and such, to make a statement. Good sourcing, hope they are affordable.

o

Bumping for more comments on the new tiles.
Especially interested in comments from those who thought the originals were too busy. What do you think about these? Still too busy or better?

o

I love those last tiles, I really, really do! But I am not sure they go with your lovely counter. The color and pattern seem too busy andn warm to me next to the gray and white. Can you show us a picture of them next to your counter?

o

No sadly I can't - I've requested samples but haven't heard back yet.
I hope I hear soon!

o

Top and bottom are out due to budget. : (

Middle one may do as an accent behind the range with a less expensive field tile.

Samples should come in a week.

o

Just thought I'd throw this one out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic tile dimensional

o

Hi Hobokenkitchen,

If you could please take and post pictures of your BS areas taken from straight on, we can give you a more accurate photoshopped look.

Best,

Oldbat2be

o

Oldbat2be I took some pics and would LOVE to see some photo shopping, thanks!

I only have two of the original samples. Waiting on samples of the newer options, and not sure what happened to the sample of 'option 2'.

o

Tile 1:

o

Tile 1 on range (not sure of scale here)

o

Tile number 2

o

And over the range area....

o

And here are two with the vihara tile

o

And range again....

o

Oldbat2be- you are just one of the kindest and helpful people ...it makes me feel good every time you help someone out like this. Thank you.

PS, I like the first one, which surprises me because it was my least favorite when I saw just the sample

o

Hoboken, I just love your quartz counters. If there's a next time, that will be what I get. Your floor is gorgeous. You made great choices.

With kudos to Oldbat and her Photoshop prowess, I don't care for any of the mosaic tiles in any colors. They compete with your beautiful counter. Clash actually. Even at a distance, the marbling of the counter is in evidence. It's really awesome. Have you asked your buddha what s/he thinks? :)

o

Hi
Welldone! From these options I love #1. This night shot, shows the play of your chandeliers on your cabinets. and your tile enhances this, and your counters. Bet it is gorgeous in person!

o

I agree with linelle. None of those mosaics work with the counters.

o

Thanks so much Oldbat2be!!! You guys are so clever with the photo shopping!

I feel like they look so different in person vs in pictures - even my pictures with the samples look different to how it looks in person. So odd.

I am starting to really like the kitchen though and am finding it much warmer than I thought I would, so maybe I don't need to worry so much about color in the tile. Hmmm....

I did actually like the Vihara....

o

Okay, another idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: And another

o

Hmmm. Mirrored tile is way too busy I think, installed:

o

secondhalf - thanks!!! Big smile on this end.

hoboken - I think it's all about the lighting (why things look so different).

Have I said how gorgeous your kitchen is? I am very much enjoying seeing it in detail as I photoshop.

Here's the green and tan one:

o

The green and tan one looks squished installed this way. Like the cabinets have compressed what started as circles.
I wonder if it would look better turned sideways. Kinda like a school of angel fish?
But I don't really like it with the countertop.
What about those lovely beveled white arabesques? To introduce pattern and softness. Though soft tile is about as ''oxymoronic'' (if such a word exists) as I can imagine. I know that isn't the look you have in mind, but might be worth a thought.

o

Old bat 2be, thanks for doing this! Is a green (color) an absolute?
How about this glaze? Ignore the motif; the glaze can be done on any of the other tiles.

Here is more from the general website.
http://www.dunisstudios.com/tileCollections/newItems/topography.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunis pewter

o

Oldbat2be, now the green and tan I really like - if only it were affordable!!

I did find a crackle glass in a diamond pattern which I like and the colors are similar to the one below the herringbone (which we also can't afford).

Also saw this tile from Ann Sacks and kind of love it. Still pricey though:

Thanks again so much to EAM and Oldbat for the photoshopping. Makes so much difference to be able to really see how it would look. You are both so very kind. : )

o

Speaking of lighting, I've noticed that on many hoods, including yours, the lights are on the front and the back burners and backsplash get less light. It was easier to notice when the stove top was protected with a thin sheet of wood, as in the picture. The range hood lights point straight down, and the hood itself casts shadows on the stone from the overhead lights. So your behind-the-range backsplash may be darker than the photoshop pictures might suggest.

o

I'd love you to take inspiration from the beautiful fireplace surround and bring that into the backsplash, with both color and texture. Your space is so open that it is essentially one room. Connect them visually even more!

o

Good point on the lighting above the range!!

We are still waiting on the diamond crackle glass sample and I saw another one yesterday that both DH and I really like.

What do you think about this? Still too busy?

o

That is gorgeous!!!! Love the new option Hoboken.

o

I LOVE that last option. Its busy, but in a good way. It's warm enough for the cabinets and cool enough for the countertop. I think it's absolutely perfect for your kitchen. Do you mind sharing your source?

o

Your new kitchen is gorgeous, and the former one was one of my favorites. I would like to see a sparkly dark brown glass tile in place, complements of photo shop, to pull in your floor and wood counter. The stainless appliances and soft gray accents could bring in the gray of your counters and the fireplace. The cabinets are a warm white and the counters such a cool white, it feels to me like a dark contrast is needed. Everything I've seen so far looks much too busy. You obviously have wonderful taste. Trust your own judgement.

o

The crackle tile we're waiting for has dark reddy brown in it. I think just dark brown would be too much for me!!

I will happily share my source for those new tiles, it's a fabulous new tile showroom in Center City Philadelphia. It's not quite Artistic Tile in NYC, but it's heads and shoulders above most tile places I've been to. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a board with Bee's (or very similar) Arabesques. They are beauty's in person, but they had a really thick grout line on their installation. They also had some very cool water jet tiles with metal instead of glass or marble. Very cool stuff.
The name has gone out of my head but I'll post it when I get up (just on here while I give the baby her early morning feed).

o

Getting closer! Just to throw one more in the mix - Melange butter blend with those lovely cabinets and awesome kitchen. We need to get you out of the club.

Photobucket

o

I really really like the last one. The colors are perfect, it's interesting tile in and of itself, and it makes things nice and light. I didn't like the first few at all --- too dark, too busy, too trendy, too modern.

I think you found the winner!

o

I also live in Bucks County. If you haven't been to Devon Tile yet, I thought they had a great selection. Looking forward to trying your center city store.

o

Can you post a picture of that one straight on? tape to wall if you need to so it's flat :)

Similar (sort of) - to mom23sons tile choice(s):

o

And here's the dark version:

o

The kitchen is extremely amazing and gorgeous with newly designed tiles, laminated doors and ample lighting.Even the wooden floors exactly matches the cabinet colours. Really, love the arrangements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Kitchens Bangalore

o

Oldbat2be - I was hoping you would see this!!!

I'm kind of trapped by sleeping baby right now (if I move she wakes up and gets fussy - she's had really bad gas for the past 2 days) but I'll do it as soon as I can. Thanks so much!!

I like the lighter one you posted above.

I saw a gorgeous dark one I think looked a bit like it in the backsplash thread and I loved that, but I think the lighter might work a bit better for ours.

o

Lololololol, Oldbat2be, the one I saw and thought looked similar on the backsplash thread was YOURS!!! : )

Not as similar as I had thought but gorgeous - love it!! Do you have a close up?

o

One bold tile!� I'll photoshop it for you later this afternoon� :)

o

OldBat2Be - these are gorgeous! Is this the tile you used in my mockup???

o

Oldbat2be, does this work?

I'm worried it might get too busy behind the stove because it's a bigger area. Thoughts?

One with light off:

o

This last one looks like the best option so far... (the other mock ups don't appear to complement the countertop.) Do they happen to have it in a more subdued version, in case the pattern is too much on a large scale?

o

The vihara tile, to me, looks the best. You really need to think about a pattern on the bs. I think if it is a pattern of contrasting tiles/colors you may end up with a busy bs that is competing agains the counter.

The only problem with the vihara that I found was that when the lights are off...it's fabulous. When the lights are on, it goes flat. I have a sample of that tile in a different format. The same thing happened with the mother of pearl samples. The natural light looks great on them, but not with artificial lights.

Try to remember, the countertop is the star. And the chandys are a close 2nd.

Bee

o

I think Bee makes a great point. Have you thought about simply going stainless on the backsplash?

o

It's interesting because my friend told me our kitchen was too safe and needed a focal point. Funny how different the opinions are!!

o

Hi motherof3sons - yes, that was one of your tiles :)

Hobokenkitchen - Very quickly and then off to bed. Mornings come early in our household, esp. during hockey tryouts. Course, much easier than what you are going through! I remember the gassy days and the teething days and the....

So much advice on this forum, so helpful and enough to make you crazy, too! (I go off and sulk sometimes :))

Here are a few with your latest tile. For some reason, this wasn't coming in clearly and I have no idea of what you would do for grout.

o

If I increase the scale of the tile, then you see the pattern more clearly, but then you might have 5 circles per 18" vs. 6 (which seems right).

o

I typically try not to profer opinions but can definitely say - you do not want this bold a tile (or at least, this tile) in your space.

o

Just jumped on the laptop and I noticed that the pictures I am posting from tinypic on my phone are all turned sideways, but not when I look at the thread on my phone. WTH??
Sorry about that.

The diamonds arrived. For some reason I don't seem able to get a good picture of them but I'll try.

Oldbat2be if I could prevail upon you one more time photoshop them in if I can upload a good enough pic. DH really likes these, but I am concerned about install of these too. Cutting them must be a nightmare.

o

Hoboken, did you ever name the tile store in Philly? I must have missed it. Where else have you been checking out tile? Thanks!

o

So sorry, I forgot!

It's Garden State Tile's flag ship showroom at 2401 Walnut Street right on the Walnut St bridge.

o

Crackle glass diamonds. Colors work great in person.
Must be tough to install?

Sorry they don't photograph well.

o

Hobo- I think I had that same sample - I thought it was great but then it seemed to have some pinkish hues in some light - it may be a different version, so maybe not a concern.
Which version is the other one - #2?
We are going to get you there!

o

Can you possibly find any pictures of this tile installed? Who is mfr? Thx!

o

Your kitchen is beautiful and absolutely does not need another focal point! I know a lot of ppl liked the (for lack of better description) "flower" tile you have in above post but i think pattern AND two different colors? just too much. i definitely think you should have some color variation but something tone on tone... or just less of a jump. i like the diamond crushed glass ones a lot but maybe if we take out the reddish brown and replace it with a grayish color to tie in the marble... i think u really have to be careful with that marble- it is soo pretty but it has lots of movement...

i love the color variation in the tiles that a2gemini posted- i dont know if that color would work with the marble... but i think u should stay within that realm of variation...

i dont no if this is ur taste or if the colors would match up well but i looove pipdogs backsplash and im thinking of it because for some reason even tho its gray it seems warm to me. heres a link

Here is a link that might be useful: pips kitchen

o

oopsie just took a look at pips pictures and it looks warm to me becuase it IS warm! but i guess there are grays in there too...

o

What is the tile at the very top of this thread? Does it come in other colorways where the green is replaced by whites or grays or paler metallics? I think you can use texture or bling, but adding color or distinct pattern may detract. Also, the scale and piecing issues that come with photoshopping may be a bit misleading, unfortunately. The tile under most recent consideration seems to introduce a new, earthier mood imto your design. Not sure it goes with the chandeliers, although the darker one does seem to highlight the beautiful wood island top.

o

It's very challenging to photoshop the diamond tile, so major caveat here - this may not look anything like the finished product. (That said, I like it!)

o

Number 2...

o

Range wall...

o

And one more...

o

Wow Oldbat, thanks for doing that. I really don't like the diamonds at all. I know photoshop can be misleading, but I think it gives enough of an idea to know that it's not what we're looking for. Thank goodness you were able to shop it because otherwise we might have ordered it. Yikes!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here