Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Any thoughts on these backsplash options?

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

TILE 1:

TILE 2:

TILE 3:

Whole kitchen:

Comments (118)

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be- you are just one of the kindest and helpful people ...it makes me feel good every time you help someone out like this. Thank you.

PS, I like the first one, which surprises me because it was my least favorite when I saw just the sample

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Hoboken, I just love your quartz counters. If there's a next time, that will be what I get. Your floor is gorgeous. You made great choices.

With kudos to Oldbat and her Photoshop prowess, I don't care for any of the mosaic tiles in any colors. They compete with your beautiful counter. Clash actually. Even at a distance, the marbling of the counter is in evidence. It's really awesome. Have you asked your buddha what s/he thinks? :)

• cinderell131ogle
    11 years ago

Hi
    Welldone! From these options I love #1. This night shot, shows the play of your chandeliers on your cabinets. and your tile enhances this, and your counters. Bet it is gorgeous in person!

• sas95
    11 years ago

I agree with linelle. None of those mosaics work with the counters.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Oldbat2be!!! You guys are so clever with the photo shopping!

I feel like they look so different in person vs in pictures - even my pictures with the samples look different to how it looks in person. So odd.

I am starting to really like the kitchen though and am finding it much warmer than I thought I would, so maybe I don't need to worry so much about color in the tile. Hmmm....

I did actually like the Vihara....

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Okay, another idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: And another

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Mirrored tile is way too busy I think, installed:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

secondhalf - thanks!!! Big smile on this end.

hoboken - I think it's all about the lighting (why things look so different).

Have I said how gorgeous your kitchen is? I am very much enjoying seeing it in detail as I photoshop.

Here's the green and tan one:

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

The green and tan one looks squished installed this way. Like the cabinets have compressed what started as circles.
    I wonder if it would look better turned sideways. Kinda like a school of angel fish?
    But I don't really like it with the countertop.
    What about those lovely beveled white arabesques? To introduce pattern and softness. Though soft tile is about as ''oxymoronic'' (if such a word exists) as I can imagine. I know that isn't the look you have in mind, but might be worth a thought.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Old bat 2be, thanks for doing this! Is a green (color) an absolute?
    How about this glaze? Ignore the motif; the glaze can be done on any of the other tiles.

Here is more from the general website.
    http://www.dunisstudios.com/tileCollections/newItems/topography.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunis pewter

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be, now the green and tan I really like - if only it were affordable!!

I did find a crackle glass in a diamond pattern which I like and the colors are similar to the one below the herringbone (which we also can't afford).

Also saw this tile from Ann Sacks and kind of love it. Still pricey though:

Thanks again so much to EAM and Oldbat for the photoshopping. Makes so much difference to be able to really see how it would look. You are both so very kind. : )

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Speaking of lighting, I've noticed that on many hoods, including yours, the lights are on the front and the back burners and backsplash get less light. It was easier to notice when the stove top was protected with a thin sheet of wood, as in the picture. The range hood lights point straight down, and the hood itself casts shadows on the stone from the overhead lights. So your behind-the-range backsplash may be darker than the photoshop pictures might suggest.

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

I'd love you to take inspiration from the beautiful fireplace surround and bring that into the backsplash, with both color and texture. Your space is so open that it is essentially one room. Connect them visually even more!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point on the lighting above the range!!

We are still waiting on the diamond crackle glass sample and I saw another one yesterday that both DH and I really like.

What do you think about this? Still too busy?

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!! Love the new option Hoboken.

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I LOVE that last option. Its busy, but in a good way. It's warm enough for the cabinets and cool enough for the countertop. I think it's absolutely perfect for your kitchen. Do you mind sharing your source?

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Your new kitchen is gorgeous, and the former one was one of my favorites. I would like to see a sparkly dark brown glass tile in place, complements of photo shop, to pull in your floor and wood counter. The stainless appliances and soft gray accents could bring in the gray of your counters and the fireplace. The cabinets are a warm white and the counters such a cool white, it feels to me like a dark contrast is needed. Everything I've seen so far looks much too busy. You obviously have wonderful taste. Trust your own judgement.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The crackle tile we're waiting for has dark reddy brown in it. I think just dark brown would be too much for me!!

I will happily share my source for those new tiles, it's a fabulous new tile showroom in Center City Philadelphia. It's not quite Artistic Tile in NYC, but it's heads and shoulders above most tile places I've been to. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a board with Bee's (or very similar) Arabesques. They are beauty's in person, but they had a really thick grout line on their installation. They also had some very cool water jet tiles with metal instead of glass or marble. Very cool stuff.
    The name has gone out of my head but I'll post it when I get up (just on here while I give the baby her early morning feed).

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Getting closer! Just to throw one more in the mix - Melange butter blend with those lovely cabinets and awesome kitchen. We need to get you out of the club.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I really really like the last one. The colors are perfect, it's interesting tile in and of itself, and it makes things nice and light. I didn't like the first few at all --- too dark, too busy, too trendy, too modern.

I think you found the winner!

• kellysar
    11 years ago

I also live in Bucks County. If you haven't been to Devon Tile yet, I thought they had a great selection. Looking forward to trying your center city store.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Can you post a picture of that one straight on? tape to wall if you need to so it's flat :)

Similar (sort of) - to mom23sons tile choice(s):

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And here's the dark version:

• Jennings123
    11 years ago

The kitchen is extremely amazing and gorgeous with newly designed tiles, laminated doors and ample lighting.Even the wooden floors exactly matches the cabinet colours. Really, love the arrangements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Kitchens Bangalore

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be - I was hoping you would see this!!!

I'm kind of trapped by sleeping baby right now (if I move she wakes up and gets fussy - she's had really bad gas for the past 2 days) but I'll do it as soon as I can. Thanks so much!!

I like the lighter one you posted above.

I saw a gorgeous dark one I think looked a bit like it in the backsplash thread and I loved that, but I think the lighter might work a bit better for ours.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lololololol, Oldbat2be, the one I saw and thought looked similar on the backsplash thread was YOURS!!! : )

Not as similar as I had thought but gorgeous - love it!! Do you have a close up?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

One bold tile!� I'll photoshop it for you later this afternoon� :)
    �

�

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

OldBat2Be - these are gorgeous! Is this the tile you used in my mockup???

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be, does this work?

I'm worried it might get too busy behind the stove because it's a bigger area. Thoughts?

One with light off:

• lolauren
    11 years ago

This last one looks like the best option so far... (the other mock ups don't appear to complement the countertop.) Do they happen to have it in a more subdued version, in case the pattern is too much on a large scale?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

The vihara tile, to me, looks the best. You really need to think about a pattern on the bs. I think if it is a pattern of contrasting tiles/colors you may end up with a busy bs that is competing agains the counter.

The only problem with the vihara that I found was that when the lights are off...it's fabulous. When the lights are on, it goes flat. I have a sample of that tile in a different format. The same thing happened with the mother of pearl samples. The natural light looks great on them, but not with artificial lights.

Try to remember, the countertop is the star. And the chandys are a close 2nd.

Bee

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

I think Bee makes a great point. Have you thought about simply going stainless on the backsplash?

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's interesting because my friend told me our kitchen was too safe and needed a focal point. Funny how different the opinions are!!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hi motherof3sons - yes, that was one of your tiles :)

Hobokenkitchen - Very quickly and then off to bed. Mornings come early in our household, esp. during hockey tryouts. Course, much easier than what you are going through! I remember the gassy days and the teething days and the....

So much advice on this forum, so helpful and enough to make you crazy, too! (I go off and sulk sometimes :))

Here are a few with your latest tile. For some reason, this wasn't coming in clearly and I have no idea of what you would do for grout.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

If I increase the scale of the tile, then you see the pattern more clearly, but then you might have 5 circles per 18" vs. 6 (which seems right).

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I typically try not to profer opinions but can definitely say - you do not want this bold a tile (or at least, this tile) in your space.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just jumped on the laptop and I noticed that the pictures I am posting from tinypic on my phone are all turned sideways, but not when I look at the thread on my phone. WTH??
    Sorry about that.

The diamonds arrived. For some reason I don't seem able to get a good picture of them but I'll try.

Oldbat2be if I could prevail upon you one more time photoshop them in if I can upload a good enough pic. DH really likes these, but I am concerned about install of these too. Cutting them must be a nightmare.

• drewem
    11 years ago

Hoboken, did you ever name the tile store in Philly? I must have missed it. Where else have you been checking out tile? Thanks!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So sorry, I forgot!

It's Garden State Tile's flag ship showroom at 2401 Walnut Street right on the Walnut St bridge.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crackle glass diamonds. Colors work great in person.
    Must be tough to install?

Sorry they don't photograph well.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Hobo- I think I had that same sample - I thought it was great but then it seemed to have some pinkish hues in some light - it may be a different version, so maybe not a concern.
    Which version is the other one - #2?
    We are going to get you there!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Can you possibly find any pictures of this tile installed? Who is mfr? Thx!

• veevs
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and absolutely does not need another focal point! I know a lot of ppl liked the (for lack of better description) "flower" tile you have in above post but i think pattern AND two different colors? just too much. i definitely think you should have some color variation but something tone on tone... or just less of a jump. i like the diamond crushed glass ones a lot but maybe if we take out the reddish brown and replace it with a grayish color to tie in the marble... i think u really have to be careful with that marble- it is soo pretty but it has lots of movement...

i love the color variation in the tiles that a2gemini posted- i dont know if that color would work with the marble... but i think u should stay within that realm of variation...

i dont no if this is ur taste or if the colors would match up well but i looove pipdogs backsplash and im thinking of it because for some reason even tho its gray it seems warm to me. heres a link

Here is a link that might be useful: pips kitchen

• veevs
    11 years ago

oopsie just took a look at pips pictures and it looks warm to me becuase it IS warm! but i guess there are grays in there too...

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

What is the tile at the very top of this thread? Does it come in other colorways where the green is replaced by whites or grays or paler metallics? I think you can use texture or bling, but adding color or distinct pattern may detract. Also, the scale and piecing issues that come with photoshopping may be a bit misleading, unfortunately. The tile under most recent consideration seems to introduce a new, earthier mood imto your design. Not sure it goes with the chandeliers, although the darker one does seem to highlight the beautiful wood island top.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

It's very challenging to photoshop the diamond tile, so major caveat here - this may not look anything like the finished product. (That said, I like it!)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Number 2...

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Range wall...

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And one more...

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Oldbat, thanks for doing that. I really don't like the diamonds at all. I know photoshop can be misleading, but I think it gives enough of an idea to know that it's not what we're looking for. Thank goodness you were able to shop it because otherwise we might have ordered it. Yikes!!