Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those darn bind upper cabinets

Posted by amoraljardin (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 13:41

I really prefer the look of a 90 degree upper cabinet but digging around in that blind corner makes me a little crazy....... I'm trying to avoid the look of two very narrow cabinets to the left of the corner with a piano hinge joining the right side. If I do one cabinet to the left on a piano hinge it will be too much stress on the hinge. Does anyone have a 90 degree upper cabinet that opens on opposite sides? If so can you let me know how you like it and post any photos, if possible. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those darn bind upper cabinets

I feel your pain. In my case, the only way around this dilemma was to leave the corner open and use the two shelves to store copper cookware. I know that's not what you asked, but I'll post this pic anyway, just because I always do when this comes up! Sorry for the repeat, but maybe you can consider this option??

stove area

o

I have a corner cabinet that opens on either side and am very happy with it. I actually had my cabinet maker copy a cabinet from a user on this site.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I think Athomeinva has what you were looking for, but I thought I should add mine. These were taken during construction. There are knobs now. I'm pretty sure the connecting hinges are Blum, like the rest of the hardware. When the door is closed the left one abuts the right one, so there isn't any gap.

My old kitchen had the piano hinges. They were okay, but I like these a lot better.

open

o

A picture is worth a 1000 words...... thanks.

Thanks Angelina - what a wonderful copper display. It adds so much warmth to your kitchen. I appreciate your suggestion.

Athominva - I'm so happy to hear this corner solution it's working out for you. I think it looks much nicer than a couple of very narrow cabinets too - I'm probably going to go with this. From what I can tell it looks like you just have 1 knob for the two cabinets, so does this mean that you have to open the cabinet on the left first to access the one on the right? I guess 2 knobs right beside each other might look a little funny. Thanks for all the different shots - it's really helpful.

And pllog. Thanks - great to have an alternative.

o

Yes, the cabinet on the left opens first and then the right cabinet can be pulled open. Although it takes two steps to get the full storage space available it is definitely better than a blind corner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here