Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

KD ? - Extra wide stile a good idea?

autumn.4
10 years ago

I am wrapping up my final quotes and had my last meeting with #3 last night. She had planned the base cabs flanking the range with an extra wide stile that would be easily trimmed by my builder if necessary if any tweakings were needed at install.

Is this normal? A good idea? A sign of trouble?

She said if it's the cabs by the range you'd never notice the extra width but if you add a filler somewhere else your eye would pick it up much more quickly. I think I can buy that easy enough.

We are talking a 3" stile on each of those 2 cabinets.

So - is this ingenious planning or kinda weird?

None of the other kd's had mentioned it so I stood out to me.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Lisa

Comments (6)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Some lower cost cabinet lines don't even offer that, but it's a better option than a filler IF you have and installer that can truly scribe it to fit. Too many jackleg installers can't these days.

Just make sure that if it's done on the base cabinets that it's mirrored above. If the wall is out of whack, it's out of whack top and bottom.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks LWO. I will keep that all in mind. Not sure on the scribing. I will have to ask.

I am thinking if it's measured and framed well it should all fit. Is that taking too much of a simplistic view?

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Autumn- looking at your elevation I understand why kd wants to do it-to ensure hood and range are centered between windows-precisely. An extra 1-1/2 is overkill if cabinet sizes can be changed.
    Without seeing the space, checking square and dimensions, scope of work on wall and windows- I would not say if it needs to be done or not. The one thing I notice is that there is no adjustment possible with the wall cabinets. Also notice that molding extends past wall on left.

Can it be done with just exact measurements- sure with a good installer, square corners and a level floor help immensely. Out of level and out of square gets tricky. It is riskier in all cases.

One advantage is that at least one brand your considering will alter cabinet sizes to 1/8 at no charge not sure about the other two.

Discuus fit with all 3 and then judge what they say and why. Have they been out to measure yet?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They haven't been out to measure. I was assuming I needed to choose one first and then they all said they would come out and measure and direct the framer regarding window rough opening placement.

Is it showplace that does 1/8th no charge? I am still waiting on that quote.
    I believe Shiloh does adjustments without added cost unless it's depth. I am starting to get them confused....

Shiloh and Medallion were both confident in orchestrating windows with the contractor.

Is this window layout particularly difficult? In other words should I be worried?

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Yes Showplace does size reductions, (h,w, or d) no charge. I don't know specs on the others
    Windows not difficult. If new or moving then shouldn't need the extended stiles, just good layout and coordination with installer. Assuming they are on the back of the house.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 20:30

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you jakuvall. They are on the side of our new build and face the woods so we are okay there.

I am anxious for the quote! :)