Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unstillife

thank you GW - before and after

D F
10 years ago

Cannot thank all of you at Garden Web enough...this blog has been ridiculously helpful, cannot imagine how we could have gotten through redoing our kitchen without all of the advice, pics and suggestions from you all!
details:
Ikea cabinets/pulls
quartzite counters which are leathered finished
rohl shaw sink, rohl faucet
bluestar stove in color vermillion
liebherr fridge
bosch dw
loading before and afters one by one...

Comments (46)

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

after

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

before

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

after

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

love our Bluestar

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and our kitchen sink!

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so so happy with it all so far :)

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

for a little brooklyn kitchen, we feel like we enlarged it by double when we only moved the wall out by 2 feet and switched where the stove and fridge were installed - brilliant idea from our contractor who works solely with Ikea cabinets - he was amazing too. happy to answer any and all questions!!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Great job! Love your red Bluestar :)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Those are Ikea?! Wow. They are beautiful. It feels so much more open than before. I really like the corner shelving, it adds some personality to the kitchen. Enjoy!

• kam76
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! What a difference. I bet you love cooking in that space. Can you share more about your pendant lights and your backsplash?

Thanks!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Wow. What a gorgeous kitchen! Love the fridge/cabinet area... that just looks great and the glass uppers. And, durn it, that gorgeous counter top that is so, so lovely. Boy, if that would have worked in my kitchen, I'da had it.

Absolutely wonderful!!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Brilliant use of space and materials, congratulations and thank you for sharing the pictures!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

It looks terrific and so much larger, too!

• Lil_Moe
    10 years ago

Wow, your quartzite is beautiful! Great job, looks so open and inviting!

• flying_c
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful! I love your quartzite and the punchy red stove. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your island and the aisle widths? Thanks!!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Looks great! Congratulations. I love the red BlueStar, the quartzite countertops and how the vertical handles all seem to coordinate so consistently and emphasize the ceiling height. The stacked uppers are great, too.

What is your aisle widths and your island size? (I think it may be helpful for others dealing with similar spaces).

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Really lovely kitchen. Like so many of the other GWers, I love your quartzite!
    You are so fortunate to have so much storage. Great job! Enjoy it for many years to come.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous!

I only post in about 5% of reveal threads because if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

• smiling
    10 years ago

Wow! Fantastic transformation, I kept going back and forth between the before and after. What a beautiful difference. Are those Adel doors or did you paint Orsa? Love the leathered counters. You know, I won't be the least bit surprised to see your great kitchen featured in the next Ikea catalogue, you make them look fabulous! Congratulations on the whole result.

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!
    Thank you all for such great comments. Will try and answer some of the questions asked. The stove is vermillion (not really red - attaching another pic which seem truer to its color - more orange - honestly we were terrified after ordering the color - a bit of what did we just do - but are so pleased with it). The backsplash is made up of long 2 x 8" subway tile and we used light grey grout. The doors are Adel and the pendant lights are from Rejuvenation (schoolhouse shade)

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oops, forgot one thing, the dims for the island are 68 x 19 1/2" and the aisle dims are about 30 1/4" - hope that helps!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Beautiful space!!! What Ikea cabinets are those. They are really nice.

Carol

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Love the way the tea kettle and the dutch oven play off the Bluestar, and your hood is perfect!

• flying_c
    10 years ago

Thanks for those dimensions and aisle widths! We've got a smallish space (though not as small as yours), and it's really helpful to see what different sizes look like in practice.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Wow! What a lovely kitchen you have now! Everything is just perfect. Pretty and functional. Very well done.

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Wow, really nice result!! Looks great...soothing and restful. Those quartzite countertops are quietly sexy -- what exactly does "leathered" mean...are they smooth, or textured? Or is that how the matte finish is achieved? Your countertops look so natural and calming, yet interesting.

Love the Adel cabinets, too!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I, too, keep scrolling back & forth. It's hard to believe it's the same space. I love your frig area & how you positioned your cabinet pulls around that area. Love the open shelving by the hood. Love your backspash. Everything just goes so well together. How tall are your ceilings? Great, great job, congratulations!

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful transformation! Love those counters.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Your new kitchen is so beautiful! I love that you did the red range - it's a great splash of color in that gorgeous white kitchen! The counters are wonderful - I haven't seen leathered quartzite, just polished and honed.

The clean line of the cabinets stacked to the ceiling make such a big difference and I'm sure you're appreciating the extra storage.

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your refrigerator? Is it integrated or just a counter depth? I'm refrigerator shopping right now :)

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

beautiful! i love the leathered finish on your counters. and love how tall your kitchen feels too.

• Linda
    10 years ago

What a great space!!! Everything goes together so beautifully, and you have so many cabinets! Do you have the wonderful Ikea interior organizers, too?

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Great job! I'm going w/ IKEA cabs as well & it's nice to see how well they come out. Your choice of hardware works perfect & the color of the range gives it just the pop it needs. Bravo!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's so TINY! And so well laid out. With tons of storage so it corrals the clutter.

I like it.

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more answers to the questions:
    Ikea cabinets are Adel.
    Leathered surface is very similar to honed but it is more textured - we absolutely love it. We did need to seal it again after it was installed (they hadn't sealed it enough) but it is wonderful stuff. The ceiling height is 10 ft in the kitchen (that was the original soffit and to save costs we decided to keep it, and work with it, hiding the venting for the hood, etc.) the rest of the room is closer to 12ft. ceiling height. The fridge is 36" wide Liebherr - and no, it is not built in but it is counter depth (there is an annoying building vent that runs through the brownstone and is located on the edge of where the stove use to be...our contractor customized the cabinetry next to the fridge surround to compensate (making really usable space by the way). And @lazygardens it IS TINY (typical for Brooklyn apartments) but it certainly doesn't feel that way any longer!

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Good grief, what a gorgeous job! I didn't even notice it was small because I'm captivated by the finished product :-)
    What is in the island on the sink side? Drawers, cabinets, open shelving? TIA

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you @cluelessincolorado, the island has storage, drawers and a microwave...and at the end (you'll notice in pics above) open shelves to house my well and often used mixing bowls (originally thought to put cook books there, but we decided this was a better fit for our needs)

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Beautiful transformation! You should be proud. i can see how it must be fun cooking in there now. Almost makes me want to move to the city to have a kitchen like that!
    Enjoy!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

So great! I love the pop of color the Bluestar adds!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

stunning, really.

questions- which wall did you move out 2 feet?
    -did you use the shallow 12" deep drawers from Ikea in the island? How did you shorten the base cabinets?
    - how did you trim out the back and side of the island that do not have openings?
    - how did you create the shelved area on the side of the island?
    - was a cover panel scribed for the farm sink and applied over the doors?
    thanks!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Great job, I love seeing beautiful Ikea kitchens and that really fabulous counter!!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Great job, I love seeing beautiful Ikea kitchens and that really fabulous counter!!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous and I love the way you have used all available space. I had no idea Ikea could look like that. How much fun would it be to cook on that stove!!!!

• D F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@scrappy25 answer to your questions:
    which wall did you move out 2 feet? the wall between the kitchen and dinning room
    -did you use the shallow 12" deep drawers from Ikea in the island? How did you shorten the base cabinets? We worked with an amazing contractor who works with Ikea products and knows how to customize them - if you are in the NYC tristate area, they go by the name Basic Builders - husband and wife team (Peter and Lissa) and I can highly recommend them - they were terrific!
    - how did you trim out the back and side of the island that do not have openings? contractor used false doors on the back of the island
    - how did you create the shelved area on the side of the island? contractor customized bookshelf to fit with cabinets and then put false doors on the sides
    - was a cover panel scribed for the farm sink and applied over the doors? those are customized pull out Ikea drawers with Adel doors

hope this helps! good luck on your project!
    thanks!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Wonderful. I loved your monochromic scheme livened with the fun element of your stove before and even more when I learned it was more orange than red. Delightful.

Happy cooking.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Beautiful transformation. Excellent job! Thanks for sharing, esp island and aisle dimensions for those of us with small kitchens.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Oh WOW...I'm super jealous of that BS. I so wanted to get a color, but had a hard time making it work in my space. I may have considered re-thinking everything if I had seen your reveal a few weeks ago. That has to be a dream to work in such an efficient and beautiful space. It truly is a case of function meets form!!