Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Love this kitchen makeover!

tomatofreak
9 years ago

From kitchn comes this total kitchen renovation. I love it and wish I could have that island - if I only had room. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen remodel

Comments (20)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

They had me at 'quirky.'

Love the kitchen, love the island. Not everyone has the time or inclination to shop for discounted and salvaged components, but when everything comes together as it did in this kitchen, it's stunning.

I see those industrial carts on craigslist occasionally--even though my kitchen is full to the brim, I still check to see what fun stuff is available. A girl can dream ...

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Ummm...put me in the category of not in a thousand years would I want that cart in my kitchen. Sorry.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Since posting above, I took a closer look. The location of the stove-top would give me pause. I wish there were more detailed pics, but it looks as if there's no guard on the back--that seems to be a safety issue that no amount of charm can overcome.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Sorry, but ugh.

• emma
    9 years ago

Me either. As my mother said, "I've had old all of my life, now I want new".

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, EmmaR; my mom was the same way! I love old things, but she'd had enough of old and worn. New was good to her way of thinking. She did, however, have room for a few nice antiques.

Setting aside the cart - which few of you seem to tolerate - how about the rest of the kitchen. I also wonder about the backless stove, but I assume it must have been permitted since it was a total renovation, involving taking out walls.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

I like the different textures, but I feel like the cart is... too big for that space. I think if it was sized down a bit, it would look very cool... or if they continued the butcherblock instead of going with the granite.

Honestly in a small kitchen like that I've never understood going with open shelving. I like the look, but practically... I'd rather have 2 large cabinets on that wall.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I actually like the cart a lot, visually. I like the color, and I think the rough old texture is a good contrast to the cool sophistication of the marble top (and the glossy white subway tiles.) To me, the funky clunky cart makes the space look fun and comfortable. And interesting.

Functionally, it wouldn't work well for me, though, for the same reason I wouldn't choose open shelving. Love the casual cool look, but I think in real life I'd regret it.

I like the exposed beam and ceiling joists too. But then I think I have always secretly wanted an artsy loft...!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

While I like some of the individual elements, there are way too many of them, giving it a very cluttered look-- even though the counters are clear. The eyes bounce from the cart to the pipes, the wine rack, the hood, the open shelving, floor mats, lighting, backsplash/wall,...and keep moving. There is nothing that stops the eye long enough to admire. Simplicity in design is not necessarily a bad thing.

Echo the stove placement. Am I the only one that thinks the cart looks out of place with the fancy pro hood and range? Old and new can go together, but they don't seem to work as well here IMO. Perhaps the different heights of the two counters may be contributing to the mismatch.

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

Some people do like everything shiny and new, but I am drawn more to character and patina.

That said, good design requires scale and balance, and while I like the various elements in this kitchen, as a whole it bothers me.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love metal and just cringe when someone paints over exposed ductwork. However, much as I admire those stainless shelves, they wouldn't (don't) work for me, either. I chose to have no upper cabs years ago and went with metro shelving. I've come to despise it and am looking for uppers to replace them. Otherwise, I could live in that kitchen - I think! Wish there were more photos....

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

I think it's cool and very original. It looks like you can move the cart away from the peninsula to use as a table.

And I don't think we can assume the stove is backless....we can't really see what is behind it.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I was intrigued enough to go looking for other pics on the 'net. These are from an article on houzz, posted by Emily, and if you click on the link and scroll way down in the comment section, she gives more info. Looks as if there is a 4", or so, strip of wooden counter behind the stove-top:

Here is a link that might be useful: [creative islands on houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-best-of-my-houzz-20-creative-kitchen-islands-stsetivw-vs~28093869)

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Apparently "creative" means not permitted or inspected.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

And more on pinterest:

Here is a link that might be useful: pinterest

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mama_goose, thanks for finding those! For the most part, I love their renovation. Especially love the use of metal and old wood. I think it's great that they didn't try to cover up all the old worn aspects that give the house character.

I've used galvanized metal in my house and I was happy to see it behind the stove.

marcolo, this was a major renovation; I don't think it could have been done without permits and inspections.

Here is a link that might be useful: galvanized metal as wall

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

The overall look is great but peeling paint in a kitchen is disgusting. It literally turns my stomach and I wouldn't want to eat anything that came out of there. I've got no problem with patina but rust and peeling paint, no.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Love the cart, hate the stove placement. I like old stuff. And I've had old low quality all my life, now I like old mid quality (or good quality at yard sale prices).

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Much more my aesthetic than DH's - I'm very drawn to eclectic, funky kitchens while he likes streamlined and no clutter. This is a little too eclectic for me but I appreciate the effort to get all those disparate elements in harmony.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Love it, especially the cart. I wouldn't have put the stove there, either. but I'm picky about appliance placement. Beautiful, interesting kitchen, thanks for sharing!