Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_valentine6870574

pics Cream cabs, soapstne, marble, alder island - almost done

Nicole Valentine
15 years ago

6 weeks and counting... can't wait to cook again. There's been several delays, including today's 'streaked marble' countertop but I'm still feeling positive the end is in sight.

Comments (37)

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunnning kitchen. Can you give details on cabinets , color of paint and stain for island. Is it clear or knotty alder. Can't wait to see the completely fnished product. This would be my dream kitchen!

• kitchen1921
    15 years ago

You have built my DREAM kitchen! LOVE the cream AGA cooker and the gorgeous blend of dark wood, painted wood, and marble and soapstone counter tops .... I am drooling over here! The hood is really pretty, too. Oh, you are going to enjoy it so much ...

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.. I love it too but I'm that stage where I'm too close to it right now and just saying I need my kitchen back! Hurry up! It's good to get some feedback. The cabinetry is Mouser, I believe the stain is just called cream but I'll check and get back to you. The island is knotty alder - minor distressing.

I actually just 'drew' the hood out with my kitchen designer - I was going for a english countryside feel and Mouser went with it from there.

I've always wanted an Aga and when they came out with the 6-4 which is the more americanized version I was sold. It's not 'on' all the time like the real british cookers and now I have the big wall oven and four smaller ovens in the aga to use. Each oven has a diff purpose and they don't share air circulation so you can cook garlic in one and bake dessert in another.

• gglks
    15 years ago

sooooooo nice. my kitchen is laid out almost exactly like yours (but yours is wider....lucky you)! i went with white cabinets and an alder island also. i love the contrast. you have also built my dream kitchen as i wanted either soapstone or marble! dh just couldn't handle either! i can just look at your pictures and dream!!!

• megradek
    15 years ago

LOVE IT!! I so wish I was brave enough to do marble

• minette99
    15 years ago

Oh, Gorgeous! WOW!! I envy your SPACE! Beautiful cabinets, counters and love the marble! Stunning! Can you please tell me, us, about your sweet oven!? I'm in love with it! Can't have it, I'm sure, but I'd love to hear about it... what a beauty! Thanks for posting these great pics!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The detailing on the cabinets is amazing. Love how you have toekicks in the working portion but not on the oven wall. Gorgeous, gorgeous...and I bet it'll be worth waiting for!

• teddas
    15 years ago

Yes I agree, very nice kitchen! I too saw the streaks and am glad for you that it was being resolved. I too love the finished toekick on fridge wall. what refrig is that that it has customized panels like that?!

You must be so happy it is all done-very good job!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your enthusiasm guys... it's helping me through the finish line! Mairin - I'm not even sure if I'm brave enough to do marble... I may end up just yelling at everyone to stand back away from the island!!!! :)

the fridge is the french door kitchenaid -- so far I'm very happy with it. Mouser provided the paneled door inserts. It's the perfect size for us and didn't cost us an arm and a leg. - The dishwasher is an asko and will have a panel built for it too.

My microwave is the Sharp drawer and it's in the island on the sink side.

The wall oven is a Thermador.

The backsplash comes in next week - it's cream crackled subway tile - behind the hood it will be in a herringbone pattern.

We started the process before the market crash and now we're just hoping we an afford to put food into it when it's done! I may start baking for profit soon. Certainly everyone is getting baked goods for the holidays!

• busybme
    15 years ago

Girl, you have one SERIOUSLY beautiful kitchen! Classic and detailed...not overdone...spacious but not cavernous. Put me on the list of those that covet your kitchen!

Sandy

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those who are gaga for AGA - don't assume it's out of your price range. Call around - tell different dealers the bids you are getting and ask if they can do better. I ended up finding a dealer that had a new one shipped to her very small warehouse and she offered it to me at a great price if I accepted shipment on it immediately so she could have her warehouse space free. (I've had it in my garage for months just waiting for install).

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!! A true English countryside kitchen!

Which soapstone did you go with? Has it been oiled yet? Which crackled subway tile did you go with?

Also, with your inset cabs does your sharp microwave drawer bother you with how far it sticks out? Any pics from that angle of the island?

Very excited for you! Can't wait to see all your other details.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Congrats!

We are building a house and your kitchen just replaced the magazine pages I've torn out! Reminds me of "alliern"'s kitchen with the cream cabs and alder island. Like pluckymama I would love to see pics of the microwave drawer in the island and would love to know about your soapstone (and your marble).

Happy the stripes are being taken care of....Enjoy that beautiful space!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Oooooh, that is gor-gee-or-gous! Love it!

What is your flooring? Hardwood? I am excited to see it completed, because it is already so amazing!

Congratulations on your dreamy kitchen!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey All - some new pics... backsplash installed and I love it! Tried to get a pic of the microwave for pluckymama but it's still wrapped in protective plastic. The marble was returned today to my satisfaction. It pays to be kind to your fabricators! Fridge not yet fully installed flush with cabinets but you get the idea.

Soapstone not yet oiled... still undecided! My floors are oak and are not new but I'm going to have them screened. Has anyone else done that here?

Lots of place for my cookbooks!

The island overhand supports are not yet installed yet either.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

ndvweb, Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I don't know what else to say. Can't wait to hear the details. You must be so excited. (and your microwave drawer looks fine in your island)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Absolutely scrumptious, love everything about it!

Can you tell me what kind of edge treatment you have on your marble?

E

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ogee on the marble - big ease on the soapstone

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Where did you get your soapstone and which one is it? It looks so beautiful unoiled. And which subway tiles did you use? Love the herringbone pattern.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time around, but I am so glad I caught it tonight!

The cream color of your cabinetry is beautiful, like rich, heavy double cream. If I felt I could've done cream in our kitchen your cream is what I'd've wanted!

Enjoy, enjoy!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and I think just helped me solve one of my own design dilemmas!

I would love to know how tall your ceilings are, and like pluckymama, I'm dying to hear more about your soapstone and subway tile.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wow I missed this first time round too...it is gorgeous!
    What is your backsplash tile please?
    Congratulations and enjoy!
    vic

• alice462
    15 years ago

OMG! Such a scrumptious space -- love the attention to detail - no toe-kick on the frig. wall, the hood, the backsplash, the cabinet design and details are SO WELL DONE! The cream color of your cabinets is so rich it looks soft to the touch - wow! Not to mention your AGA! Thanks for sharing!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Having trouble answering this thread but trying again.. seems to keep rejecting y posts.

Krazy Krackle tiles from Sonoma
    Soapstone from Philadelphia Soapstone - not sure what 'type' I just came and picked a slab. I'll try and find out.
    My ceilings are 9 ft I believe - I'll post before pics in my next batch - will be a different post.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

How did I miss this kitchen???? Too much work lately....

YOU HAVE AN AGA!!!! I am so jealous! You have to tell me how it cooks! Are you breaking it in for Thanksgiving? Will they be out of your most beautiful kitchen by then?

What a beautiful, tranquil kitchen. It is so lovely. It probably doesn't feel quiet and calm to you since you are in the middle of construction, but it just has such a warm, welcoming and calmness about it. It is seriously gorgeous.

Congrats on a most beautiful space. I do want a report on how everything works and cooks. I just love it! Oh yea, don't even get me going on the counters....So pretty!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They say they will be out of it by Thanksgiving and while I'm usually the cook for all holidays in the extended family :) - I told them I wasn't going to do it this Thanksgiving!

We're still waiting on some hardware, I have some pendants to install too. Of course there is more wall patching, floor fixes and painting. I have not held the pendants up yet to see if they work well in the space but here is the link to the pendants I chose for over island. I hope they work well over it - I love how they are adjustable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendants

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Lovely and very classic, but smart not to try the turkey there this year. Even when we did our first turkey some time later, it ws the first time we'd used the convection roast setting and the bird was done over an hour early and the guests were late!

Do you have those pulley pendants? I love those and you have a great kitchen for them. Didn't work in mine.

Enjoy!

• madaboutkitchens_gw
    15 years ago

loooove your kitchen! sorry if you've already posted these details, but can you tell me the dimensions of your room and island? also, what color are your cabinets? such a perfect cream!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I'm with all of those who are scratching their heads about how we missed this kitchen when you first posted. But, thank goodness I saw it 'cause, for me, this is a hallelujah kitchen!!!

Here you have incorporated sooo many of the same elements that I'm currently installing in my own kitchen -- the cream white cabs, old oak floors, soapstone counters. Even that striking pendant could be a kissing cousin to my own. But the biggest excitement I have is over your Aga 6-4! I've got one too . . . in claret red! There are not many of us on these pages who have one so it's a thrill to find another one of us who has purchased this grand unit. By all means, if nothing else, let's definitely stay in touch, sharing tips etc. on how to break in and "customize" our Aga babies. Yours looks totally splendid, btw --especially under that fab backsplash.

In all, this rates as a true dream kitchen. We can tell that a whole lot of hard work went into it precisely because the end product you have acheived is an effortless-looking picture perfect presentation. Congratulations on such a fine, fine job.

And enjoy the holidays in your new kitchen!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't tell you how much fun this board is because you're all just as enthusiastic about kitchens as I am! Madaboutkitchens... dimensions to come and the finish is just 'cream' from Mouser Cabinetry.

Thank you Martha and I'm so excited to find another 'Gaga for Aga person'!! We have to talk via email - I'm considering ordering the stackable aga stainless aga pots - do you have them? Also how necessary is that sleeve potholder?

Yes it was a lot of work - I didn't wield the hammer but spent months researching and traveling around. I discovered you have to really be your own project manager to get what you want. Luckily my KD was willing to mentally move away from the 'usual' and follow my vision too. My husband and I did our own painting - and as you can see from photos we have patchwork to do still. We're also going to tackle the laundry room next by ourselves.

and Martha - link me to your kitchen pics!

Also I'd like to recommend some software that was INTEGRAL during design. It's free! Evernote.com You can download it to your computer - clip items, and put them in a public space for your KD to see. It was a huge help during design phase. (no affiliation just love the product!)

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

for those who asked... soapstone is Minas and I'm still undecided on whether or not to oil it

I did treat the honed marble with 511 Miracle Impregnator as contractor said it's the best

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!!

I may have missed it, but what size is your island? I am thinking of incorporating a MW drawer and your island looks like the perfect size!

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

Wow, I really love it. (Ok, have to admit, it looks fairly similar to mine at first glance to mine, in the broad strokes at least.) I, too, am not sure I am brave enough for marble which I also have on my island, but two after being basically finished (some cabinetry things to be finished) am learning to live with it, even though it had been the one thing I was truly dying for. Love your Aga, window and many other details. (Again, I too started this project before the economic collapse - which made writing those checks a lot harder, huh? Good luck on the baking!!) Congratulations on a beautiful and well-planned kitchen! Hope you have many years of enjoyment there!

• Nicole Valentine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RemodelQueen - my island (countertop) is 7x5. I love the microwave drawer!

katmandu - I haven't seen your kitchen pics yet and would love to! I've been a bit of a lurker on your honed marble post... it still gives me a shudder. We're not living in there yet - and I hope I can live with etching. By any chance did you use the 511 Miracle Impregnator on yours? Are you living with your etching better these days or still unhappy? And yes those checks hurt - still have one more to write. This economy certainly makes it harder to fully celebrate the finish line too.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Just one big dreamy S-I-G-H...

This is one of those never ending standing ovations. I was going to say "enjoy" but seriously, how could you NOT!?

:)

• cookie08
    15 years ago

I LOVE the AGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sarajon
    15 years ago

Can you list a)your pulls (and source)
    b)island dimensions?
    by the way. LOVE.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review