Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

KAW...Ginger Snaps

dcward89
9 years ago

Haven't seen any KAW threads recently so I'm sharing my homemade ginger snaps. They are made with ground ginger, grated fresh ginger and minced candied ginger. They are my absolute favorite holiday cookie. I forgot to snap any pics during the process but here is the finished product.

Xposted on the Cooking forum.

Comments (14)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Those look great. I love ginger snaps too but have never made them. Might have to try now.
    I highly recommend pumpkin dip to go with those ginger snaps

Pumpkin Dip

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
    softened
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon frozen orange juice
    concentrate
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually mix in the pumpkin. Stir in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and orange juice until smooth and well blended. Chill until serving.
    Serve with ginger snaps, Graham crackers or apple slices

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooo, that sounds delish!! That's is going on my "Must Try" list!!

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

DCWard, I happen to have all 3 forms of ginger on hand--can you post your recipe? Those look great!!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the recipe. I have been making them for a few years now but I believe it is an Alton Brown recipe. Note that except for the egg and the teaspoons/tablespoons of whatever, this recipe is measured by weight so you'll need a kitchen scale. Other than that it is a super easy recipe and they come out perfect every time. Let me know how you like them!!

Ginger Snaps

Ingredients
    9 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 tablespoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground clove
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    7 ounces dark brown sugar
    5 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
    3 ounces molasses, by weight
    1 large egg, room temperature
    2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
    4 ounces finely chopped candied ginger

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, clove and salt.

Place the brown sugar and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on low speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the molasses, egg and fresh ginger and beat on medium for 1 minute. Add the crystallized ginger and using a rubber spatula, stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.

With a 2-teaspoon sized scoop, drop the dough onto a parchment lined half sheet pan approximately 2-inches apart. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 12 minutes for slightly chewy cookies or 15 minutes for more crisp cookies. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking.

Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to stay on the sheet pan for 30 seconds before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with all of the dough. Store in an airtight container for up 10 days. If desired, you may scoop and freeze the cookie dough on a sheet pan and once frozen, place in a resealable bag to store. Bake directly from the freezer as above.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love ginger snaps and those look delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Yum! These look great. I was just thinking I needed some gingersnaps to go with some pumpkin ice cream I bought recently--this recipe may go into my baking rotation today!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Do they really snap?
    I have 2 molasses/ginger "snap" cookie recipes I use, but they are a soft cookie.
    I also make a gingerbread shortbread that is awesome, but again no snap.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

terri...I always bake them 12 minutes and they are perfectly chewy with a touch of snap. If you try them for 15 minutes I imagine they might have that snap you're looking for.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Thanks. I did over bake one batch of my cookies tonight. (Actually had a batch of dough in the fridge from Sunday.) They were snappier. ;)

I will have to try your recipe too.

• gone_south
    9 years ago

This sounds like a recipe for those super-addictive Triple Ginger Snaps that Trader Joe's sells. Any chance you've tried those for comparison? Those things are pretty much crack....

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It's so funny that you mention Ginger cookies because I was just thinking of making them today. I love this recipe especially for this time of year, not exactly "snaps" but a very good ginger cookie. You should be able to get Hershey's Hugs at the store this time of year.

White Chocolate topped Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups flour
    2 tsp Ginger, Ground
    1 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
    1 tsp baking soda
    ü tsp Nutmeg, Ground
    ü tsp salt
    þ cup (1 and ý sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
    þ cup firmly packed brown sugar
    ý cup molasses
    1 egg
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    ü cup granulated sugar in small bowl to roll cookie ball in before baking

HERSHEY'S HUGS (be sure to have these unwrapped and ready to press in baked cookies when they come out of oven). Even though I only wanted the white chocolate ones I had to buy a bag with both all chocolate and the swirled ones since I think that is just how they come.

Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in another large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla, beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. ROLL IN GRANULATED SUGAR then place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. (I use Silpats).
    Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Pull them out of the oven even if you don't think they are done after 10 minutes max unless your oven is very slow. Immediately press the Hershey's Hugs into the centers of each cookie. You could wait a couple of minutes but while they are still very warm so they will sink in and melt just a bit and will stick into the center but not so much that the chocolate melts and collapses the Hug.

Remove to wire racks, cool completely. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.

*Adapted from McCormick and Company Inc. and Culinary Concoctions by Peabody.

I was very happy with the way this recipe turned out and took this picture of them last time I made them. Hope you like them as much as we did!

I have shared this recipe once before on GW and mentioned that it's very important to remember to roll the dough balls in sugar before putting them on the baking sheet because for some reason I can't remember to do this and as you can see in the picture I forgot this step in one of the batches.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

Thanks DC--I just made these this morning and ate way too many of them! It turns out my candied ginger seemed a bit stale so I omitted that, and also I used a hand mixer because I didn't feel like dealing with the KitchenAid right now, but they were still good! Will make again once I have fresh candied ginger.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you liked them! I do think the candied ginger really adds something...maybe a chewiness that I really like so I hope you try them again with the candied ginger.

• HU-254180507
    3 years ago

Waoh...Such a healthy cookie.Going to try this cookie. Ginger and lemon juice is a healthy drink.Have it .Sometimes I use ginger extract.