Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
decisions!

Posted by fav.auntx2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 13:29

How did u decide what style doors to go with? This part is really hard for me. Anyone have advice? I can choose anything I want as they will be custom made and tailored to fit my needs exactly. Too many options is the bane of my existence!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: decisions!

I think a good place to start is to figure out what kind of a look you are going for in your kitchen....traditional, modern, rustic, etc, and that will kind of dictate or at least steer you in the right direction with cabinets. I tend to gravitate towards the shaker cabinets ( white) because I feel they are quite versatile for me and my husband......I like traditional, he likes more modern. You can achieve the look you want by picking certain hardware, crown molding, glass insert doors, etc that suits your taste. I highly recommend you checking out the finished kitchens blog here ( you can just google "finished kitchens blog gardenweb") or check out houzz.com!! Good luck!!!

o

I went for functionality - slab doors with no nooks and crannies to collect crumbs and spills. The old cabinets had disgusting ledges that I tried and failed to clean with bamboo skewers and anything else I could think of, they were gross. The end result in the new kitchen is sleek and spare; it has been described as European and modern.

I have no clue about "styles" and admire people who can carry them off. The motto in my house is that if I like something, it has to like the other items I like, if you understand my rambling. As a result we have an antique Victorian granny chair in front of a Chinese carved screen, with an African craft table next to it. Seems crazy, but it works - it has to!

o

Chloe.Chloe, I took your advice and reviewed inspiration pics as well as looked over Houzz. You were right :) helped tremendously! I now have a decision on my doors!

Gardenpixie, I want to see your house! And I know I already love it bc I mix traditional with anything that catches my eye and I fall in love with! My design soul mate, you must be!! Our difference is I will choose design over functionality and ease of cleaning; as my mitered raised panel doors obviously prove lol I also admire those people who can pull an entire look together and stay within the confines of the design chosen. I'm not one of them either :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here