Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benfb

stacking order for ovens and warming drawer

benfb
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm interested in opinions on the stacking order for ovens and warming drawers.

We're replacing our kitchen appliances. In place of the existing double oven, we're installing a steam convection oven, a regular oven, and a warming drawer. The current plan is to stack them in that order since the convection and regular oven come together. However, we could separate the ovens and change the stacking order. We could put the warming drawer in the middle.

Any thoughts on which would be preferable?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments (5)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Skip the warming drawer uness you're gonna put it someplace that it will actually get used. Down on the ground isn't that spot. It needs to be directly under counter adjacent to the cooktop, or under our cooktop itself if you anticipate using it to keep previously prepared dishes warm. In the DR itself is the better location to warm plates.

• benfb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too late to skip the warming drawer as everything is paid for and on it's way. and it can't go by the cooktop because there isn't room there. The cooktop is on the island.

So the question is which stacking order:

1) Steam convection/regular oven/warming drawer
    2) Steam convection/warming drawer/regular oven

Obviously, whatever is at the bottom is least convenient for taller people and whatever is at the top is least convenient for shorter people. I'm 6'3", so I like things high, but I'm not the cook (my best weapon is the microwave). My wife is 5'7", which makes her middlin' height. So is it more annoying for her to reach low for the drawer or for the oven?

By the way, she wants the warming drawer for the same reason we'll have 7 (!!) burners on our new cooktop: very big family gatherings.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I had the triple stack in my kitchen before last. Boy did that stack look snazzy! But having the warming drawer on the bottom was the WORST. Not only because it is way too low, and it's true you end up not wanting to use it as much because of that, but also because it forced the top oven to be too high. My last kitchen I did not have a warming drawer, and missed it. This kitchen I am doing now I know better. I will have double wall ovens and a warmng drawer, but the warming drawer will be installed directly under the counter, next to the wall ovens. That way I can take things out of the oven and easily move them to the warming drawer. And when it's time to eat the food it will be so much easier to move the food from the warmng drawer to plates on my counter.

• benfb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Nyefnyef. An interesting thought to put the warming drawer next to the ovens rather than below. I'll tell you why we've focused on putting it altogether in one stack: the new ovens are shorter than the old.

What we're pulling is a standard double oven. The replacement oven stack is a combination of a steam-convection oven an a standard oven. Because steam-convection ovens are small, the new stack is shorter than the old stack. That's what got us to thinking about adding a warming drawer.

With the warming drawer, the new stack is about 5" taller than the old double-oven stack. We're not going to increase the height (well, maybe 1/2", but not more than that). So we'll be lowering the bottom of the cabinet cutout by about 4"-5".

So, if you couldn't put your new warming drawer under the cabinet, would you prefer the warming drawer at the bottom or the standard oven at the bottom. Either way, whatever is at the bottom is going to be a little low to reach.

My thinking is that the standard oven would be used more than the warming drawer, so that's why I was thinking to put the drawer at the bottom.

Of course, now I'll give thought to putting the warming drawer under the cabinet. Except then our cabinet cut-out will be too big. And we'll have to lose some spoon drawers.

• ajohnsonk
    3 years ago

It's been 5 years but wondering, if you are still around, what you did! I am struggling with the same thing. If you put the oven under the warming drawer, then the oven becomes like a normal oven under the counter and the warming drawer is more accessible. I plan to use my CSO more anyway!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource