Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

Calling All Copper Heads!

sabjimata
13 years ago

Hey copperphiles!

I just posted pics on my blog of my mother-in-laws copper hardware in her 1960's kitchen. Oak slab doors and copper strap hinges with hammered knobs. If you love copper....or patina...check it out.

You will also notice the copper tea kettle I bought her. Yes, I am a lovely daughter in law (self congratulatory pat on back! ;)

So I think we've been through this before, but if anyone wants to share their shine and post their copper pics and links, I would be *very* happy to take a gander.

Might even get some inspiration for this year's holiday gift! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: copper strap hinges

Comments (16)

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

I have a subtle copper theme running through the house.

It starts with copper landscape lights:

Then there's a copper-finish front gate.

Of course there's copper in the kitchen - copper hood, backslash, and oven door handle accents.

I also have a pantry gate in copper-finish that matches the outside courtyard gate, copper chandelier in the breakfast nook, and copper floor accents in the living room and a bathroom. I'll leave those out in the interest of space, but let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I have pics to share.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chefneil--do include!

What granite is that? Interesting because from the pic of your kitch, the granite/faucet/etc looks *cool* and the copper is obviously warm. Love the mix and match of it!

And that gate! Drool.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I've been a copper lover since 1988. We used a copper pipe for stairway handrail in our last home. Also kitchen curtain rods.

Like Chefneil, mine runs through out the house and starts outside:

Pots between garage doors:

Copper cupola, gutters, downspouts and dormer roofs:

Front door lantern:

We even clad the chimney in copper (HVAC company did it) and the chimney cap:

From the Atticmag house tour, sliding panels over great room TV:

{{!gwi}}

Range hood:

{{!gwi}}

Pine hutch backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

Coffee station sink and faucet:

{{!gwi}}

Powder room sink:

{{!gwi}}

Laundry room backsplash, sink and faucet:

{{!gwi}}

Sconces on upper back veranda:

{{!gwi}}

Copper pots on FP hearth and mantel, lower level den:

{{!gwi}}

Head/footboard inserts (DS guest room):

{{!gwi}}

Tray (I decoupaged the old leases on the tray):

{{!gwi}}

Several light fixtures and sconces either have copper color accents or look like copper, but are not "real" copper. Several accessories are copper, but one of my favorites is this birdhouse:

Here is a link that might be useful: house tour

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

Here's some additional pics sabjimata. Your observation is spot-on, I used copper in a somewhat eclectic/contemporary context, whereas you typically see copper in a traditional setting. The granite on my island is azul bahia, a blue granite. The perimeter counters have bianco romano, a white granite.

This is a good example - you can see the copper caps on the ends of the oven handles. A very modern, somewhat cool design overall but the copper warms it up nicely. The handles aren't really crooked, I must've been holding the camera at a funny angle.

Here's my pantry with the aged copper-finish gate that matches the outside courtyard gate.

I love, love my living room. We've since added a 2nd matching chandelier (these photos were all taken shortly after moving in). In the close-up of the floor you can see the pinwheel pattern with copper accents.

In the den I used copper pulls.

Sorry I couldn't find a photo of the copper chandelier in the kitchen eating nook. It's kind of cool - a modern design but done in copper.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

I love copper--we are thinking of hanging our old pans (no longer useful on induction :-( ) on the wall for decoration and we have it on our hutch doors and behind the cooktop:

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison--I've seen your house tour before but am looking at it with new, copper speckled eyes! You really show a lot of dedication to copper!

Your hutch is gorgeous. Is it alder wood?

I think in honor of Cotehele's newest remodel, there should be a thread for everyone with worthy laundry rooms to show off! Nice!!

I have to say, I think the copper backing on the hutch is my fave. Which leads me to....

Honeychurch!-- Va va va voom! What is the story with your hutch doors? How did you think of that? New copper or old? Do tell!

Neil--That floor and pantry are really special. Obviously you put a lot of time into the details! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Thanks Sabjimata--originally we were just going with the copper behind the cooktop, but had been struggling with the hutch doors...didn't want plain wood, but thought glass would be too revealing (we have plastic storage containers in there, not anything fancy!). So we thought using the copper was a nice solution.

It is new copper, but heat treated to bring out the different colors and then sealed...it is supposed to stay as it is now, and should not patina any more.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks. The hutch is pine, stained and glazed. Forgot the copper pulls in the laundry room. Pots/pans hanging in pantry. I have copper chargers I like to use in the breakfast room. The ceiling in the powder room has beams and copper too. Another favorite.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So everyone, was it a conscious decision to decorate with copper or do you just possess some liminal copper magnetism?

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Here, it was a conscious decision - especially when the architect specs the copper cupola on his houses. Even so, if he didn't, I would have done gutters, pots, and things inside. Like I said above, I've had a copper fetish since the 80s, and have always been attracted to warm (over cool) metals.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

sorry to change the subject for a second but quick question for chiefneil - do you mind my asking if your blue bahia was expensive? I originally wanted that for my island but my countertop person informed me it is 3x the cost of regular granite just to buy the stone before they even fabricate it or do anything to it?? Was that your experience?

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

Hi Beagle, yes blue bahia is pretty expensive. I think it's classified as a semi-precious, or the dreaded "custom" price bracket :-(

I actually don't recommend it since it's very sensitive to etching - that's why I have the indestructible bianco romano on the perimeter counters. It is jaw-droppingly gorgeous when you see it for the first time, though.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Thanks ciefneil. I was hoping you'd found some magical source of blue bahia that you could point me too for a great price :)

That is great to know about the etching though, so I can cross it off my list definitely anyway!) We're putting marble on the perimeters so we want the island to be the less-sensitive workspace. I guess I am back to thinking I'll use the blue macuba quartzite I've been thinking of (of course, haven't heard the price on that yet... I seem to have a tendency to find the most expensive item wherever we go, lol)

• sayde
    13 years ago

Ordered a copper range hood -- it will be a simple dome shape and a fairly dark brown patina. We also have copper water trays under the plants in the sunroom. I did not start out thinking copper but it just seems to work better in the room than stainless steel. Stainless steel looks especially good in the kitchens that tend toward a white/grey/black/marble kind of palette. In our wood kitchen with mostly brown and green accents the copper seemed more complementary.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

We have a little ski condo at, erm, Copper Mountain, and we did use a lot of copper accents in our remodel up there: the backsplash is actually tin, but in a copper color. We also have copper accessories: trays, colanders, napkin rings, etc. I wish we could have used more, but ORB was easier to find (and cheaper) for lighting and the like. I really wanted a hammered copper coffee or side table, maybe someday.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you guys. The copper looks great with woods--very warm!

Seg--your condo kitchen is so cute! Looks like you have the same granite that I have for my tabletop. Sapphire brown?

Here is a link that might be useful: