Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Short progress update-Old Sub in its new home

deedles
10 years ago

Here's our Craiglist Sub sitting purty in his new spot.

Baby steps, baby steps....

(we'll be swapping out those wood fronts for something else someday when I figure that out, fwiw)

Comments (27)

• leela4
    10 years ago

deedles-You are so patient. I can't wait to see your kitchen come together, but I also love these ''in progress'' photos.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I wonder if anyone has ever tiled the front of one of those babies.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

leela: I'm trying to be patient... hopefully I won't be "a" patient by the time this gets done, lol.

fori: you know, I'm surprised that there aren't a whole buncha different things done to the fronts of these panels. Wood or metal seems to be about it. Seems like a perfect place for something interesting...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

@fori

Here you go:

Handpainted Faience tiles

• bpath
    10 years ago

Deedles is on the phone to Weaver right now, getting more tile :)

• Fori
    10 years ago

Hehe.

Since it already has panels that don't match, I'd certainly do something awful to it while waiting for the proper solution.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm not sure you need more interest in your kitchen....but I think the ideal fridge front might be chalkboard.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"something awful to it while waiting for the proper solution." Hmmm.. that could be fun....

Oh, DH says to tell whomever brought up that the tiles that "your DH says, uh... no" Not exactly what he said but trying to keep it PG, lol. (Don't think he's gotten over the bathroom pebble floor job yet.)

Wouldn't you think tile might get a little heavy, though?

GREAT! Now I have something else to think about, thanks a bunch :>P

• Fori
    10 years ago

It might be heavy, and it might pop out after a few weeks of use. But I wouldn't object to an art tile framed/inset into a wooden front. That could be borderline tasteful, even!

O o! Tin ceiling tiles!!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Not saying that Old Sub is ugly, but here are some ideas.

Also, framed chalk board panels

Kudo magnet panels

Here is a link that might be useful: 14 fixes for fridges

• Fori
    10 years ago

I love the skinny girl on a fridge with a mirror right by it so you can decide if you really do want that beer.

• Fori
    10 years ago

By the way, your new fridge reminds me of one of mine:

There it is, lower right.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, there are very thin (2.5 mm) and lightweight ceramic tiles.
    Or very thin plastic ceiling tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: skinny tiles

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fori: Ha! Is that in your pop-up? We have the exact same one in a taller version in our old camper, too. Love the plaid!
    I was actually rolling the inset tile in wood thing around in my skull on the drive home today...AND coppery tiles would be cool.. but they aren't wide enough to cover the fridge side. Still thinking about Angie's copper sheet idea, too.

nosoccermom: it's okay, the old sub is kinda ugly not in a cute way, either. Hoping to improve on that and that alien thing or whatever is sort of creeping me out, btw. What is that, anyway? Looks like an alien with real saggy boobs or something.

I wonder if they make brown chalkboard paint?

Hey, that cork idea is kinda neat! Thanks for the link.

DH says I can't do anything to the wood panels cause "I might want to use them somewhere". I was just about to carve my initials into it when he stopped me....

• Fori
    10 years ago

I think you should just plug in a Dremel tool next to the fridge and let every visitor carve a message. It's really not THAT bad. It's just not matchy!

Oh I think I see what that last fridge art is. It's a lady in the shower. Her pose seems inspired by bad 80s movies where her friend is behind her but you can't see him because it's so steamy...I think the sticker is meant for a Liebherr cuz she's been cut off at the knees. If it's a Rorschach test I probably need some serious therapy.

(Yeah, that's a '74 Apache hardsided popup. I sold it last year :( (but for more than I paid). The cabinets are all metal with a darn good faux wood finish. It originally had toile (green on white) curtains to go with all the other patterns.)

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I hung art on my old laminate cabinet doors.

• otterkill
    10 years ago

Could you have the panels spray painted? You could go crazy and have a red or a retro turquoise fridge!

• localeater
    10 years ago

Deedles, you have been making so much progress lately. It's exciting to watch. Have you considered getting real wood veneer sheets to match your cabinets and applying them to the fridge door panels? Not too hard since they are flat.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I think the cork board would be very functional. What about covering the cork in cloth first? Then you can make it any color or pattern you want and it will look pretty.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, more options than I was thinking really. Should have known GW would come through with ideas!

So, here are the top contenders as of now (keeping in mind that this fridge can't be a 'clown' since I have two already, not counting DH, haha)

In no particular order:

1.copper of some sort: sheets a la Angie DIY, or ceiling panel material
    2. cork
    3. chalkboard paint
    (considering cork on the freezer side and chalkboard paint on the fridge side tinted to match the cork side. I do like to hang some stuff and the g-kids would have fun drawing on the chalk side)
    4. veneering the existing panels in white oak to match the cabinets. Good idea, local! These panel are actually raised in the center, so I think I'd have them planed down to more flat-ish, but yeah, that would work to use them as the surface for whatever we do, since we have them and they fit.

What am I going to do when this kitchen gets done?!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What do your cabinets look like?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom: well, that's a good question. They are still just an image in my head but they will be out of white oak, not quarter or rift, regular sawn. (Lumber that DH cut a couple decades ago). Going with what is called a golden pecan stain and maybe a satin type finish... maybe knocked down a bit from that.

Here is what I'm going for, both in color and style of door:

• localeater
    10 years ago

Deedles - did you ever find those pretty handles?

• localeater
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by localeater on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 18:00

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope. Close as I could get was some pewter ones, but I just didn't think I wanted to introduce yet another metal into the copper/chrome mix. So, I'm going with wood handles and knobs to keep it simple. If I ever do find those handles I'll buy some and put a couple somewhere... so pretty!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

my vote is for cork and chalkboard. that would be nice-looking and functional for grocery lists. but as another idea, how about wallpaper? it might look cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall paper fridge