Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marble slab for backsplash Q

Posted by heidia (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 13:06

So, I would love a solid marble slab backsplash in calcutta gold. Can someone tell me about this like I am stupid-what does this entail? Do I order a thin slab, like a 3/4 or 1cm? Do they need to use diff types of walls or brackets if I plan on doing this? How exactly does it attach? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marble slab for backsplash Q

I used a 3cm slab, and started from scratch (demo'd the wall). So, my cabinetmaker/fabricator planned from the beginning for the appropriate depth to accommodate my 3cm slab.

In the other half of my kitchen, where we didn't demo the wall, I used a tile b-splash. One of the reasons was that my cabinetmaker/fabricator said it wouldn't look right (I think maybe b/c it would've projected out further than the window casement).

Anyway, after the wall was demo'd, they hung new drywall but didn't float it, and then glued the slab to the wall in the same way that they glued the slabs to the counter.

Pic below

Photobucket

o
RE: marble slab for backsplash Q

Thank you Madeline616...good info, especially regarding window trim and such! Did not think of that.

I would love to find a 1cm, but a local fabricator tells me he usually only finds 3cm, so if I went that route it looks like some planning is in order to put it everywhere...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here