Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I have this marble seam repaired again?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:03

Our seam caulk cracked, the fabricator came by today and this is what they left me with: about 1/4" section of old caulk (bright white) and the rest in a new color. This bugs me, but he said he can't do better. Should I call them back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I have this marble seam repaired again?

No, however, you should put their name with that picture all over the internet.

You need a repairperson with an Invicon kit. They're from Austria and cost about $1,700.00. Akeimi makes one too.

Expect to pay about $350.00 for an inconspicuous, not invisible, repair.

o

The new color is better than the old bright white. I'd want the rest of the old removed and replaced with the newer color.

o

Why in the world couldn't he take out that 1/4"? That's weird!! I wouldn't be happy. At least the new caulk is a much better color.

o

The new color is almost invisible and looks great! I wouldn't think removing that old bit would be too difficult. What reason were you given for that not being possible?

o

I think it is against the wall at the back, or against a cabinet--making removal of that last bit more difficult without collateral damage? Just a guess.

o

No idea what the reason was, but I'm not happy with it. I contacted the fabricator. I'll post back when they respond.

o

An update: I left it alone and now this seam is a bright yellow. I am attaching a photo I just took. Does anyone know why the seam is now yellow only in the newly repaired section (Nov 2013) and how this can be fixed without damaging the edges of the marble?

o

Another photo

o

That looks like Danby-yes looks like the product they used was a transparent polyester adhesive that yellowed.
It can be removed and a water clear product can replace it.
Bellonzoni and Akemi make some excellent polyester products for white marble repairs and seams.
A bone fide stone refinisher would be more than happy and able to repair that for you.

o

Eek, sorry, threeapples. That would make me nuts!
(p.s. would love your thoughts on my thread but you might think I'm crazy)

o

Where is your thread?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here