Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coastal_modern_love

My blue backsplash sneak peek...marcolo this one's for you ;)

OK, I have to be honest- this design is going over the cooktop as a 24x24 piece and not the entire backsplash. The rest is... OK marcolo look away now- Carrara ahem (ahem) subway. But I think the design and color (which I customized) make up for the "lighness" of the rest of the space. And might I add the cooktop wall is the first thing you see as you enter the house which is by the water, hence the aquatic theme, in addition to my love of all things coastal ;) It is hand blown glass so there is a sheen to it, but the high gloss you see in the pic is the plastic wrapping.

And of course, I will get some shots of the finished product!

Comments (40)

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I'm in love!
    Stunning!

• 3mutts
    12 years ago

Whoa, chin drop...Thud! Gorgeous!!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Holy Moley! Color! Woo-hoo!

I have nothing against marble. Well, except the etchings left during installation on my bathroom floor that look like pee stains.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That.... is DROP DEAD gorgeous!!!

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

That should so be your WHOLE backsplash. Or at least switch to blue glass subways for the rest instead of the marble. I think the contrast with the white marble subways will be a bit jarring rather than the serene beachy feeling you are going for.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous! And, I think the marble will be perfect with it. Beautiful shades of blue :)

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• ca_mom
    12 years ago

I SOOOO want that in my kitchen! How and where do you get something so lovely?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Funny, but I see it with the dreaded plain white subways...... That is gorgeous and will outshine all other materials.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the colors. Now I'm wondering what kind of "installation technique" marcolo's installers were using...

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

What beautiful colors! Can't wait to see it installed! :)

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Holy moly color" was hat I was going for! Although IRL it is not so bold, more of a wave or wash of turquoise and white. I was nervous to post this because it is out of the ordinary. It's difficult making a commitment on something based on an idea, without seeing it in action. That is why this site has become a part of my life lol!

Inspiration is the key word. My love of things coastal and the colors associated with the beach are my inspiration here. Thanks marcolo for fussing about color and inspiring me to go outside the box. Glad some of you like it!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Georgous!!! I can't wait to see it all and in place.

I'm ready to run over to the stained glass shop in town, I'll take my laptop to show them... seriously in love. I live on the water too....

Nancy

• ferrygirl
    12 years ago

From the Land of Dale Chihuly.....

That is absolutely fabulous! I can't wait to see pics of it installed!

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

live-wire-oak, I wish I could have done the whole thing, big, big bucks! My ideal would have been to use this pattern throughout, and fade the blue center over the backsplash to white as it went out. About using blue glass tile- I'm glass tiled out as I have this in other spaces so wanted to stay away from that.

wizard- I had a mermaid window piece made for my bathroom. Will get a shot of that next week. I love stained/blown glass. It has an energy to it that I can't explain. (now I sound a little crazy!)

dianalo-wait, look again! They are not plain white!!! (oops I thought you'd miss that small detail. Should have left those out for the pic lol!)

• tilenut
    12 years ago

Oooooh. Calm,beautiful, and stunning all at the same time. I want it!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous and will look beautiful with the marble tiles!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Just beautiful.

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

So beautiful. I've just been sitting here looking at it - the perfect antidote to lots of frustrations today. And it evokes so many good memories. We had the amazing experience, more than 20 years ago, of wading with sea horses on the west coast of France - we had been told they were there, but that they were seldom seen. The day we were there they were everywhere. Our daughter was 10 at the time - such a wonderful day. I could go on about finding sand dollars too - but I'll try to restrain myself.

I've been looking at some of the wonderful tiles Marcolo and others have posted but this makes me reconsider - wish I'd bought a cheap range and saved the money for the back splash :).

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Confession- I've spent way too much time looking at grout! Looked at 5 different manufacturer's samples and did not like anything other than white. I am using white on surrounding marble tiles, but will use bare minimum grout lines there. All the blue tones of grout just looked off, or seemed to produce a shadowed effect. I think if I use white the grout lines will just disappear in the whites of the lightest pieces. Opinions? Oh, the piece will be framed with border similar to this:

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

Unique and eye catching. I look forward to seeing it installed.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went with a more "affordable" cabinet door choice so that I could splurge on the details. A bit backwards, but the details are what I enjoy spending most of my efforts on. I felt since the space is so tiny, cabinetry would disappear to the background and the details of fixtures, lighting and backsplash would be the stars in the design. This is my over the sink sea urchin pendant that I found in a little local gift shop. It is aprox 12" diameter I believe:

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I love handcrafted touches in any space. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see this all put together!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Oooooo, I have been absent from gardenweb for a while and am so excited to see this beautiful tile upon my return. I can't wait to see it all pulled together!

• cindaintx
    12 years ago

Please tell us more about your beautiful backsplash. I'm drooling.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

CML! First, it's nice to have you back. I've often wondered where you went, what happened with your floor stain, and how the beach house was coming along.

I think we chatted about this tile before on another thread. LOVE IT!! I've been looking at similar, although not in bluess, for my splash.

When does it go in so I can set my watch to make sure I don't miss it??

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy! I've been following your progress! Your kitchen looks amazing. Hope it's coming along smoothly for you. I took a little break for the summer. June came and I kicked everyone out so I could relax and enjoy. So what if I had minimal lighting and no shower glass! So now that summer is long gone, I've started the finishing. My floors look great after the paint store admitted their error and reimbursed us the cost of labor, we refinished in the right color stain.

Chris! If it's the same Chris as I am thinking, welcome back and thank you so much for the tile store referral! I've spent much time in there and got a lot of my stuff from them. How's your house build going?

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Beautiful piece and pendant. Will watch for installed pictures.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

That is so beautiful! I can't wait to see that installed. What an amazing piece and lovely concept, and yes, COLOR! Oh how I miss color in some of the kitchens today.

I too would love information on this product. Is it a local artist? It looks like it's put together almost like stained glass, but so very different at the same time. Absolutely beautiful!

Please do post back again when installed. And thanks for being brave in going for the color!!

• Susan
    12 years ago

oh how pretty!! i love the glass and the urchin lamp and can't wait to see the finished product!!!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

OMG (and I really never use those letters!) that will be an awesome backsplash! i think the subway will look perfect with the blue ...let it be the star! can't wait to see the final installed pics!

• fleur222
    12 years ago

I love the blue!!!!! And that light is adorable. There is a blog I have seen on the web, everythingturquoise.com which has the most beautiful pics of beachy decor.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

That's some awesome tile. I can't wait to see it installed. It seems like a perfect fit for the beach house.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Oh my... very pretty indeed.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Yowza! Thought I had posted when I saw the pic the other day--glad I popped back in today to comment. :-)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

That backsplash is indeed chin-droppingly gorgeous, and the lamp is splendid. I am with you, the unique details are what sets your home apart and puts your stamp upon it. I love those choices, and am eager to see them both installed.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Grout, so what about a darker neutral color like the darkish grey veining in the marble? It could be lightish or darkish grey.

• chris11895
    12 years ago

CML, did you get the backsplash from Tree's place? Our house build won't start until Spring, we've had some bumps in the road but now we're back on track. And like you, When June came I cemented my feet in at the beach and refused to think about anything to do with house projects!
    Your place is looking great, I can't wait to see the finished kitchen and I adore that Sea Urchin light!!

• aquacoast
    11 years ago

coastal_modern, did you every get your blue backsplash finished? And may I ask where you found it?

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'd love to see pictures of this finished kitchen, your other kitchen is stunning!