Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IKEA box people, help please!

Posted by kirkhall (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 13:00

All you IKEA cabinet people, any tips for understanding the IKEA website/catalog?

I *think* I know what I want. I want to build drawered storage/built in seat/bench. I've seen at least one on this forum that had a lot of modifications to make it work and it was a while ago. I don't remember whose it was.
But, what I'd like to consider doing is taking an over-refrigerator cabinet box, and put in the drawer assembly. However, when I went online to the IKEA site, I cannot find just the drawer hardware to see if that would even work. I can only find drawer fronts. Or, base cabinets with drawers built in.

What happened to just the components? Any tips? (Or, anyone who has done a lot of IKEA cabinet work, do you know if this will even work)?
TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IKEA box people, help please!

Kirkhall, Try checking a site called Ikeafans it's a great site that you can get almost any answer you need about Ikea

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeafans

o

Did you search for Rationell? Below is one example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rationell

o

Here's a better example with more sizes and deeper drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rationell

o

Wow! Lots of stuff to wade through on the Ikeafans site! (A little intimidating, actually).

Thanks Corgimum! That is what I was looking for! (now, why don't they link that under "drawers and drawer fronts from their kitchen page?)

Now, I have to figure out if what I want to do will fit! I guess that is what Ikeafans is for--maybe someone will know if the drawers fit in an over-the-fridge cabinet.

o

You can definitely do this -- it's a 36" wide cabinet, the same depth as a base cabinet (front to back) so the 36" Rationell drawers will fit. However, as to what exact pieces you need, I'd recommend going to Ikea and asking a kitchen person for help if you are close enough to one. I find it frustrating to try to figure things out from the website. You may also need some kind of feet on it, depending on how you intend to install it and how high you want it and whether the doors will clear the floor without them.

You might not be able to get the right combination of drawer fronts to fill the space, but if not, you can use the doors and then put pull-out shelves (with the gray metal front) behind them. That's what I did with my prep sink cabinet: the door is not hinged but instead is attached to a deep drawer at the bottom, and then I added a short (front-to-back) pullout under the sink. No modification needed except that I might have had to drill two holes in the cabinet for the pullout shelf, I don't remember.

o

Here's the thread where Shelayne described hers. If you click on her name there, you can send her an email and maybe she can help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banquette Bench

o

Thank you for linking the Banquette Bench thread--that was the one I was remembering!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here