Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

The greatest kitchen planning resource ever....

weed30 St. Louis
13 years ago

....from 1949!

Watch the video on the link below. Amusing on the surface, but pretty interesting that many of the "new" ideas that have come out over the last 10 - 15 years are really quite old. There are also features that are no longer offered that would be fabulous to have, ie, the trash bin that has a door on the outside of the house for emptying.

If you pay attention during 7:15 - 7:32 into the vid, you'll see the precursor to the Seal-A-Meal/Food Saver :)

Here is a link that might be useful: clicky

Comments (12)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Thanks, that was interesting. I liked all those bins. It didn't look like there was enough spacing between the shelves in the cabinet though.

• granite-girl
    13 years ago

Very Interesting I thought the shallow shelf spacing was intentional, just to store a few short items & have more shelves, therefore more storage easier accessed. I have to stack things now & move things to get to others...
    Pretty neat how they thought of the towel drying pull-outand the waste hole in the counter...
    Cool video

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

That was awesome! Christopher Peacock is putting those trash cut-outs in his wood island tops now. He covers them with beautiful polished nickel or silver handled lids. I really liked the under cabinet bins for flour and sugar, the potato and onion storage too. I liked that pullout work surface. Was she packaging cookies there? I'm fascinated and might watch it again but I wish that woman would have smiled or something, she looked totally miserable. She could peel a potato a whole heck of a lot better than I can, that's for sure!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

all drawers in the base cabinets
    lowest drawers for long term storage only
    above the counter, storage bins hanging from the upper cabinets
    potatoes and onion in separate ventilated bins. and not in a refrigerator
    wall bins for cereals that go directly into boiling water
    doors on wall uppers fold back so they are safely out of the way
    vertical dish rack for drying above the stove inside the upper cabinet
    inwall containers for powdered soap, scouring brushes, etc
    garbage hatch: no need to open a pull-out
    separate garbage for paper
    hutch under window ledge

• kevinw1
    13 years ago

Wow - what a lot of great ideas! I need to go through again and capture some stills of the best parts so I can include them in my kitchen :)

Thanks for the link

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I love this video so much I have to bump it. If I'd only seen this when I was in the planning stages, I would have absolutely incorporated some of the incredibly charming and functional elements seen in it.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

My breakfast station/hutch has a trash hole cut into the soapstone with a wood lid, though it is not for prep scraps as in this film; we just got sick of the kids leaving their various wrappers all over...so far it seems to be working, they actually like throwing things away now!

Very cool movie--thanks for posting!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I love this video so much I have to bump it. If I'd only seen this when I was in the planning stages, I would have absolutely incorporated some of the incredibly charming and functional elements seen in it.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Interesting, and gotta love the beginning when the husband looks at the wife when the other woman speaks of all the bending, reaching and running around that's necessary in the kitchen. That's right Mr 1940's we know you aren't doing it!

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Love the trash hatch! Oh, and the chocolate cake looked great as well. Thanks for sharing!

• Susan
    13 years ago

that was great!! thanks so much for posting it, i loved it!

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

I have watched this film every time someone has posted it, and love it, too. I have a big, unusable end on my counter in my new kitchen. I would have loved to find a way to use it as a garbage bin, but there really is no access to it. My wall oven is next to it, on a 90 degree angle. There is a corner wall cabinet above that end, connecting the wall oven cabinet to the wall cabinet above the counter. However, now that I think about it, the garage is on the other side of the wall where that counter run ends. I suppose one could make a doorway hatch into that space from the garage.

Could you imagine having "outside access" to a garbage can in your kitchen nowadays? In my climate, the cold seeping through in winter would defeat all previous attempts to keep the kitchen warm. In all climates, vermin would be a problem, as would the human type intruder who decided to enter through the garbage hatch.

As I watched the farm wife model scooping the white flour from her handy bin I thought, "Those were the days! Flour came in only one or two varieties and we didn't know to feel guilty for using white flour." I keep my whole grain flours in the freezer. Instead of having a handful of staples in our kitchens now, we have smaller quantities of a large variety of items. Bins and canisters would never work with my kitchen's contents, today.