Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgirlygirl

For those that installed superwhite- any updates or feedback?

SDgirlygirl
10 years ago

I have long clipped and envied those with the beautiful superwhite dolomite marble (this is me showing off that I've read all the helpful posts on this topic!). I have long harbored major lust for this slab but I've written it off as too fragile for my personality. Every etch or scratch I know I would take as a personal insult as they seriously offend my sensibilities.

Anyhow, I've always viewed this lovey as a look but don't touch until I visited the slab yard this weekend. jaw.dropping.gorgeous. I never knew I could love a rock as much as this. It made me go weak in the knees and my immovable husband was similarly (and suddenly) covetous as well.

So for all those that took the plunge with superwhite, please tell me how you feel about your decision. I'd love to hear your stories. Any regrets or anecdotes? Do you still love your superwhite?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Major props for using the correct geologic name. I'm so proud!

Aside from that, I can't offer any support about living with Superwhite. Did you happen to see any white quartzites that you liked?

• windycitylindy
    10 years ago

I still love my super white counters. They're gorgeous, and every day I walk in the kitchen and smile when I see them.

That being said, if you know that every scratch and etch will bother you, then this is not the counter for you. After 1.5 years, there are thousands of tiny scratches all over my counters. They don't bother me a bit because I knew that was the price I would have to pay for this stone. They're not something you'd notice just walking through the kitchen, but if you sit at the counter, you can see them. They're hard to capture in a picture, but think about the faint scratches all over a wood table.

Honestly, mine really doesn't etch easily, and I'll even juice limes on the counter now. As long as I wipe it up within a few minutes, it doesn't etch. Tomato sauce can dry on the counter without etching. I think that's the dolomitic marble not regular marble--didn't Karin say that it etches more slowly? In my kitchen that's definitely the case. Bee has had more trouble with etching, though, so this may vary from person to person.

I took a few close-up photos this afternoon, so you can see what it looks like with no babying after a year and a half.

Here's a bad scratch with some more typical minor scratches visible:

Here's a further out shot of an area of the island:

Here's the area by the sink:

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Thanks for update windycity!

• TB151
    10 years ago

No issues at all with our so far. We have even accidentally left red wine stains on it overnight and they came right off with no etching of staining.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

That is one gorgeous slab!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I was just about to say what bookworm said!

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

Not to hijack this thread, but TB, what color are your cabinets? You owe us a reveal!

We visited the stone yard our builder recommended on Saturday and have several slabs of SW on hold waiting for pricing. DH says he'd be okay with cardboard boxes for uppers just so we could get the SW. Haven't fully disclosed the etching and staining issues to him. Hoping everyone here will say it's not an issue. ;)

• TB151
    10 years ago

No worries, we went with White Dove. For Superwhite, do yourself a favor and call Select Marble and Granites and Everett. He can get he slabs at the distributors but also has loads sent up directly from the quarry in Brazil. Our is every bit as white as the insanely expensive "Wicked White" that they have at Boston Granite Exchange and came in at half the price.

An yes, I know I owe a revel, we had had the damndest time picking out a backsplash and have a few other details we're adding too!