Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bracing Undermount SS Sink AFTER Install?

Posted by 3kidsonedogandus (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 12:47

I had a Caesarstone countertop installed yesterday. I just was about to take out to the recycling the cardboard box that the ss undermount sink came in when I heard something rattling inside. It was the brackets and screws. That concerned me. So I read the Installation guide, that was also still in the box, and verified that they are supposed to be used. I then (wish I had done this BEFORE the install....) did an internet search on how undermount sinks are supposed to be installed.

First of all, it doesn't appear that a plywood base was applied. Secondly, the only thing holding the sink in place appears to be the epoxy and four pieces of 2 x 1 wood around the perimeter (but not the entire perimeter) of the sink. They are glued (epoxied?) to the stone. No screws or anything like that anywhere to be seen. They did properly temporarily secure the sink from above.

From what I have read here on GW, I think I should be worried about the sink holding on for more than a few years. Also worried about the unsupported counter elsewhere in the kitchen. Now, it is a small kitchen, so the longest span of unsupported counter is 57" x 23". Should I be worried about that as well?

The only thing comforting me is the fact that my prior countertop which was laminate also was not supported by plywood, so maybe my concern about unsupported caesarstone elsewhere in the kitchen is unjustified. But I am still concerned about the sink.

So - any advice anyone? Is there anything that I can do, or have done PROFESSIONALLY, to rectify this sink situation?

Ugh. Why can't anything ever just be simple? And I really wish I had researched beforehand how this is supposed to be done. Mea culpa...

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bracing Undermount SS Sink AFTER Install?

I promise you your sink is coming down as mounted. I recommend the installation of a Hercules Universal Sink Harness available at Braxton Bragg. Undermounted sinks must be mechanically fastened; silicone and/or adhesives is not enough.

I have reinstalled at least 20 sinks for this reason. Hopefully, you haven't paid in full yet.

o

Thanks Trebruchet. You mentioned that you have "reinstalled at least 20 sinks for this reason". Out of curiosity - what is your profession? Are you a fabricator?

o

My undermount Blanco sink 'sunk' 11 months after install. I was told my installer didn't see it happen often, but that the few times they had it was that the special adhesive does not stick perfectly to the ultra smooth polished surface of these sinks (told the issue was Blanco specific, I'm not sure if that was just a line or not). Anyway, fabricator (in my case it was Cambria) came out on a long weekend and rigged up the following.. Been 1.5 years now with no issues.

Like you, I wish I'd thought/known before hand. But there is an aftermarket fix, whether it's the one listed by the above poster or this one:

undermount sink support photo 100_3325_zps8b53f08c.jpg
 photo 100_3324_zps6d822758.jpg

This post was edited by Co-Co on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 22:25

o

"Thanks Trebruchet. You mentioned that you have "reinstalled at least 20 sinks for this reason". Out of curiosity - what is your profession? Are you a fabricator?"

I am a Certified Corian Fabricator/Installer and a Certified Zodiaq Installer, but I sold that business over a decade ago. I do surface restoration work these days, solid surface and stone mostly.

I have had to install over 20 HUSHs because in their greed to get a low price on granite, homeowners went with a fabricator who wasn't charging them enough to make any money. Now they have to pay me to reinstall their sink because the guy who installed it is out of business.

They weren't sold the more time consuming and therefore more expensive radiused edge at the sink cut out either, which keeps me busy filling chips and reprofiling the edge too.

That is the Hercules Universal Sink Harness pictured above. My method of installation is better than those in the instructions. If anyone is interested, let me know.

o

Treb, can you post your method of installation? I would love to see it. thank you!

o

My fabricator didn't know about the HUSH. Having learned about it here, I bought it and had him used it. He was impressed with it and SAYS he'll use them in the future. I'm waiting for someone I know to use him so I can see if he does (or mentions it) without someone else suggesting it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here