Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

clear glass vs frosted or textured?

abekker
9 years ago

Do you prefer clear glass with in cabinet lighting or frosted/textured glass?

Comments (13)

• practigal
    9 years ago

Do you mean glass in the door or glass over the light? Itfin the door, I prefer textured because what's behind the door is never so organized that it needs to be on display. If you mean over the light I also prefer textured because it's a softer more diffuse light. If I had something beautiful to show off inside the cabinet I would select clear glass.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

As I'm working on designing my own kitchen, I think I will have clear glass in the cabinets where I'm going to be storing my serving pieces, pitchers, etc., as I love the look of them and think they will look great in a lighted, clear-glass cabinet even if there are times where they aren't artfully arranged.

I'm debating whether to do glass or solid doors in another cabinet where I will be storing things that aren't as attractive, in and of themselves yet I want that less substantial feel of glass doors there instead of solids. If I go with glass doors there, they will be frosted.

So, to me, it all depends on what will be stored there and how it will look through the glass.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was first set on frosted than i was over my friend's house and noticed how pretty clear glass looks with some nice dishes and cabinet lighting. now i am thinking of eliminate some glass cabinets that i originally planned to have glass and will only put glass where i can keep something nice. I haven't seen glass being mixed have you?

• szruns
    9 years ago

I picked seeded glass for my display cabinets. I find that totally clear glass never looks clean enough, lol, so I avoid it as much as possible. I also just love the look of seeded glass. It makes me smile. It is a light enough texture that displayed objects should be quite visible. (I can't swear to it since they aren't installed yet.)

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

abekker-I chose seeded glass also and you can definitely see through it - the colors and some detail as to what you have in there. That is the look I liked so I stuck with it. I think clear would be fine but I wanted something a little more.

• xc60
    9 years ago

We did clear glass on our last house. It never looked clean with the cabinet lights on no matter how often I cleaned them. This house I did all solid doors, but think seeded glass is gorgeous and would consider it if I had to choose again.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I've had lighted clear glass display doors in items in other parts of my house and they've stayed clean just fine. But, then again, I'm an empty-nester. It would probably be a different story with kids in the house, lol. So I don't know why kitchen cabinets would be different unless they're close to a stove, especially if the stove isn't well vented.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I went with seeded glass as well.
    I clean it every few months but we are retired DINKS and DH doesn't touch the glass when he opens it.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love the glass cabinet look, but I didn't think it would work well for us in our everyday use. I did the puck lights with clear glass above everyday cabinets in the display areas. It's clear glass now, but ultimately I'll prolly change to a textured glass as I did with some other cabinetry around the house. It really depends on the look u're going for.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Don't pay for glass from a cabinet company. Buy your own. You already have to spring for the matching interior upgrade and cut for glass, and the glass itself is usually insane.

Glass is a pricy upgrade that you would do well to skip if you're on a budget.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I will take a look at the seeded glass, sounds like a good option.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I have textured. I love that you can see the color and almost make out the details of the dishes and objects- but it's blurred enough to mask any fingerprints etc.

• chinchette
    9 years ago

I like clear, but don't have little kids with plastic items. Things look pretty uniform but casual. Unsightly items are stored in drawers.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES