Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mick2_gw

Finished kitchen!! (picture heavy!!)

mick2
12 years ago

I have been lurking on GW for several years now and we finally did our kitchen renovation this past summer. I have learned so much on GW and would not have my kitchen as it is today without all of the help on GW.....so THANK YOU!!

We knocked a wall down between the kitchen and the room next to the kitchen (should be the DR but we moved the DR to a different room). So now the kitchen encompasses 2 rooms. Everything went rather smoothly other than our contractor who died 6 weeks into our 10 week project (very sad).

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Cabinets: Custom - Triple A Custom Wood (Lancaster PA)

Granite: Juparana Persa

Paint: BM: Maryville Brown

Double Ovens: Wolf DO30-2FS-TH

Refrigerator: Kitchenaid 42" French Door Built In KBF042FTX

Hood Insert: Best PK2238

Undercounter Beverage Fridge: Marvel 6SBAREBB0L

Microwave: Sharp 24" microwave drawer KB6524PS

Range: Capital Culinarian CGRT484G2

Warming Drawer: Miele ESW4812 Convection Warming Drawer

Dishwashers: Miele Optima G2472 SCVI w cutlery tray

Main sink: Franke Orca Single Bowl undermount 31" X 20"

Prep SInk: Elkay SS Undermount EFRU191610

Main faucet: Kohler Vinnata K690-BN

Prep faucet: Kohler Vinnata K691-BN

Cabinet hardware: Schaub Ancient Bronze Corinthian pull, knob, appliance pulls

Backsplash behind rangetop: custom

Tile floor: 12" X 12" ZENDO color: dust

Chandelier: Minka-Lavery: Aston Court MIN4755-206

Pendants: Minka-Lavery ASton Court MIN4751-206

Comments (64)

• deedles
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So sorry about the contractor. Carpe Diem is my motto.

I was going to tell you how much I liked your cabinets and ask what kind of finish was used until I realized that I was looking at the OLD kitchen. Wow. Beautiful and opulent and parade of homes worthy.

Now, back to your old cabinets. Can I have them? ;/
    (carpe cabinets?)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Well, now we have an example of when someone wants a two toned kitchen!

• caligal
    12 years ago

Rich, warm , and inviting. I really love the glass on the cabinet doors and I am jealous of your 2 sinks!! Sorry to hear about your contractor though.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Man, that is beautiful is all I can say. I was so surprised when the first "After" photo came into view.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Well done! Very beautiful.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love the knife drawer (My knifes are on the counter but if I had a bigger kitchen, I would also want a knife drawer like yours), the spice cabinet, the sink faucets,the gorgeous appliances, and the way you combined creamy glazed cabinets with the cherry cabinets.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

That is the most beautiful granite and kitchen I have ever seen. Wow!! ..truly a wonderful job of putting this beautiful kitchen together. Congrats and enjoy it!!!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words! We love it! I love to cook in here, drink my coffee in here, work on my computer in here, entertain the kids and their friends, entertain our friends.
    Rhome410-I do love the Wolf ovens. Im so happy to be able to bake wonderful cookies at last! My old ovens were the worst and made horrible cookies. Im still learning and experimenting and since we have Thanksgiving for family every year this week will be a real test with cooking the bird!

cflaherty - a lot!!

deedles - I sold some of the cabinets on Craigslist, still have the island along with Corian island countertop.

caligal - the glass on the cabinet doors is Bendheim - Lamberts Mouth Blown Clear

blfenton - thank you, I absolutely fell in love with this granite. these pictures do not even do it justice.

breezygirl - love the CC!! getting used to the power of it! love having all the space, all my pots are not falling off the burners and touching each other!

Forgot to post a picture of the TV! One of my favorite things-hung a Tv on the wall above the pantry door. The TV is for me, not my kids! I can watch Food Network while I am in the kitchen cooking, cleaning up etc....

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Wow! I was browsing through the old kitchen pictures thinking those were the new kitchen pictures -- that really wasn't too bad a kitchen! But wow -- what a transformation. I particularly love your corner cabinet. Post a picture of the TV please and let me know whether you're having any success with the controller!! (I never get to use it at our house and then get laughed at for not knowing how to operate). I have the same plan for a TV in the kitchen :) -- perhaps I can hide the controller?!

• remodelzombie
    12 years ago

WOw, wow, wow!!! Absolutely stunning! Your design is uncannily much like my kitchen I'm putting in right now right down to the 42" KA French Door Refrigerator.

I love your two-tone cream and espresso cabinetry mix! I also noticed your clay-terra cotta, then in the next room the yellow gold. Your copper backsplash is gorgeous!
    I just keep saying WOW....You did a fabulous job with this!!!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oldbat2be - thank you so much!! i am mistaken and there actually is a pic of the TV already on here. if you look at the picture of the desk area in the kitchen the TV is up on the wall above the pantry door. im doing fine with the remote-LOL! I LOVE having the TV in the kitchen!

remodelzombie-thank you for your kind words! wow that is so funny! what other appliances do you have? actually the color in the kitchen although it may look like terrs cotta in these pics is BM-Maryville Brown and then the family room and foyer are BM-Shelburne Buff, the DR is a faux finish (gold) and has fleur de lis stenciled on the walls.
    Again-THANK YOU!!

• young-gardener
    12 years ago

WOAH! That transformation managed to catch me completely off guard. It looks incredible! ENJOY IT!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much!

• remodelzombie
    12 years ago

Mick, I used SW-Cavern Clay and SW-Compatible Cream duo throughout my 4 guest bedrooms. I love it! Very similar look as yours. For my appliances I'm doing Wolf Range, 2 Asko dishwashers, KA Warming drawer (though I'm liking your Miele...alot!) KA Trash compactor, KA microwave.

They are just now starting to hang my wall cabinets. Did you put your refrigerator at 24 or 25" depth?

I really love how you integrated your darker pieces with the lighter pieces. A very custom designed look!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

remodelzombie-i will have to check out those paint colors! I have no idea if they did my fridge at 24 or 25" depth? We got 2 dishwashers and I am so happy that is did! I love it, especially on days when im doing a lot of cooking.

Thank you so much! would love to see your pics!

• remodelzombie
    12 years ago

Oh geez Mick...sometimes I'm so blonde!!! My fridge is Jenn Air 42" French Door, not KA! They're owned by the same company and I always get the two twisted around. I was thinking it was the installation depth, but that's why yours looks different.

btw, the SW-Cavern Clay I cut 50%.

In the meantime, I'll just oogle at your pics and dream until mine is finished.... :)

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, that is soooo ELEGANT!

That is a grown-up kitchen, to be sure! It is completely warm, rich, and lovely!

Enjoy many years of good meals with loved ones!

• mgreenman
    12 years ago

Fantastic! I'm so glad you posted this. Looks like your original layout was fairly identical to what ours currently is. So did you take over your whole [former] DR? And how was living with your fridge in it's old location? Ours now is to the left of the doorway into the DR and we're thinking either of moving it to where yours is, or to where your old location was.
    Great job!
    Maura

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! The transformation is amazing! One thing I really LOVE is the bulletin board/office area! So functional and yet really pretty!
    Congratulations! Now go open that beverage fridge and relax! :o)
    Capegirl

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much!
    mgreenman - I did not like the fridge in the old spot because if somebody was sitting at the island in that stool and you opened the fridge--it always hit the chair. We did take over the DR (although about 5 years ago we actually moved the DR to the LR, so we actually have no formal LR), knocked the wall down, moved windows etc.

Capegirl05 - thank you! i love the bulletin board area, it gets all the mail/kids school stuff off of the kitchen counter. I have been cooking all day, had my wine, ready for bed! Happy Thanksgiving!!

• dakota01
    12 years ago

WOW - Just beautiful and filled with many luxury extra's! I like how you incorporated your desk area.
    I left one small wall in my kitchen w/o cabinets, I was going to put a bakers rack or something on the wall. But, I can't find anything I like.
    Your desk area and the bookshelf/message center above is my inspiration for my area.
    Not sure if I will do a sit down desk or keep it the same height as my island and cabinets. My kitchen is smaller than yours and a sit down may not look as nice as yours. I was even thinking to make it a "dry bar" when company comes and having a wine fridge built into it.
    I have called my kitchen guy to see if where my cabinets were built can build a message center like yours!

Job well done !!!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

How Lovely!
    I am not a granite fan. I don't like all the specks.
    I was, however, mesmerized by the swirls in yours. I think they call it "movement". I think it encompassed all the colors you've chosen.

I'm so sorry for your contractor's family. Not worried about you. :) Things seem to have come together just fine.

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jeannie01 - thank you!!

CEFreeman - our granite does have a lot of movement, I love it!
    we are definitely fine, such a sad time for our contractor's family. He also did my parents kitchen and my brothers kitchen and has a connection to my husbands family from many many years ago.

• holiday2525
    12 years ago

great new kitchen. What a change. I love the granite and the blend of the colors with wood and walls. Simply stunning. enjoy.

• westsider40
    12 years ago

What a beautiful new room. I love everything. Great new artsy glass in the cabs. Really gorgeous.

• total_remodel
    12 years ago

very pretty! your wall color took my breath away...great job

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all so much!

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

What a fantastic transformation! I love the mixing of woods, the knife drawer, the pull-outs, all very pretty and elegant, yet warm at the same time. Nice job!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mythreesons-thks!!
    wetsider40 - glass is Bendheim - Lamberts Mouthblown Clear

• cathie2029
    12 years ago

Hello... this is absolutely stunning....I'm thinking about redoing my kitchen and although I'm not a fan of white cabinets, I might have to consider them in order to make my small kitchen not appear like a cave...but this is really beautiful! How o you like the white? any issues with the paint yet? how about the dirt showing..

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kali2024-thank you very much! the cabinets are not really white but rather a cream with a glaze. no issues yet, stuff wipes right off. my daughter got blue crayon on cabinet, used a paste with baking soda to get it off.

• cathie2029
    12 years ago

quick question...how big is your kitchen if you don't mind?

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

OMG, it is stunning!

LOVE, LOVE the tiles over the cooktop, the pendants and pulls -- and your granite...WOW! So excited to see the knife drawer, that looks so convenient.

I just HAVE to ask, are you loving the Franke Orca sink? That's what I got, of course it's still in the box.

Congrats on a spectacular completion.

• taggie
    12 years ago

Wow, wow, wow, WOW. This is a drop dead GORGEOUS kitchen. Absolutely love it -- you did an amazing job!!!!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow-thank you all so much for the kind words!

athomesewing - love the Orca!!
    kali2024 - the kitchen is about 15 ' X 30" (approximate)

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

That's amazing and very awesome!!! I love the spice pull-outs by the cooktop. I love it all!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks deb52899!!

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Gorgeous granite! Love the spice pullout - wish we had one.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Wow! You must be so excited!

• kathydel
    12 years ago

Magnificent!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Amazing! It looks like you thought of everything and have an amazing place to cook. Enjoy!!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much! it is an amazing place to cook and gather and we LOVE it!!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

mick2, a rude personal question...
    Do you find that this kitchen is too fancy for everyday life?

When I see rooms like yours, I assume that it goes unused most of the time, to keep it pretty and formal. Somehow I can't imagine myself making cooking messes in a space like yours.

The warm pumpkin color on walls is wonderful.

Florantha

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Florantha - quite rude indeed......
    I think the answer to your question is rather obvious, if I thought it was too fancy and wasn't able to use it every day then i would not have made it the way i did. We are a very busy, active family of four with 2 kids, ages 7 and 9. The kids friends are here ALL THE TIME, we entertain quite a bit, we recently had my husbands basketball team of 3rd and 4th grade boys and their families over for an end of season pizza party etc.... We have a huge Christmas party with about 80 people, we have Thanksgiving dinner here every year for 20-25 people. We have a 10 ft long island which is perfect for prepping, baking, homework etc... As for the mess, that is what paper towels are for. What's fancy?? We have tile flooring, granite counters and SS appliances like half the rest of the world. Unused?? Our kitchen gets used all day, everyday. Next time you have something rude to post I would think twice before you post it!

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

No WAY is that the same space! Uh-uh, don't believe it! Nup.

:)

• gingerjenny
    12 years ago

Looks so much bigger and amazing!

On your faucet... Is the little thing next to it instant hot and cold filtered water? What! say it isn't so!? if so that is way awesome!

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

drbeanie2000: i know, crazy right?? actually it is part of the same space because the new kitchen is a combination of 2 rooms.

gingerjenny: thank u!! yes, that is an instant hot and cold faucet next to the regular faucet.

• houseful
    12 years ago

I am going to be totally honest and tell you the first words out of my mouth were, "Holy sh*%!"

That is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

So sorry to hear about your contractor :(

• mick2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

houseful-haha, too funny!! thank you so much, we love it!