Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raenjapan

Does anyone have zinc counters?

raenjapan
13 years ago

Does anyone have zinc counters in their kitchen? I'm seriously considering replacing our formica with zinc. It would fit with the style of the house, it would be cheap, and I know we can DIY. On Rotometals,com, it looks like the materials would be around $4-500 for our kitchen, which is great.

But, I can't find much about this material, particularly how it's going to patina. I want patina, but can't find much in the way of photos.

Anyway, if you've got any experience with this metal, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Susan
    13 years ago

thanks for posting this question, as i want to know more about zinc as well.
    and thanks for the link--i'm going to go price counters now!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I don't own any, but I have been around many very old ones, too old to be relevant to your question. They do form patina. I believe this website discusses the younger look of the patina. If not, you could call and ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: All sorts of custom metal counters and hoods

• dretutz
    13 years ago

My local hangout (Zinc Cafe in Laguna Beach) has zinc counters and has for at least 20 years. Lovely patina--much softer look than stainless.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

I was intent on doing a zinc countertop for my island at one point...until I priced it out. Yowza! Maybe it can be done DIY, though? You said you had found materials...check out Circuspeanut's great info on how she DIY'd their beautiful copper counters--could be a similar process.

About two years ago Willow Decor's blog did a nice piece on zinc with lovely photographs for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: zinc counter tops Willow Decor

• dee850
    13 years ago

Rotometals has a bunch of videos on youtube showing how you can get a patina on your new zinc. It doesn't look very difficult, and they offer a wide range of chemical solutions that will give you different looks.

I love the way they look, was seriously considering doing zinc myself, but my metalworker brother strongly recommended against it. Those zinc sheets are super-soft, and as he put it, there's a difference between a nice patina and just plain beat up. In my house, unfortunately, I think they'd wind up in the second category!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotometals youtube channel

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

We are doing zinc on one of our kitchen countertops. It was not a cost saving measure. in fact we were told it would be expensive ( implied it would be as expensive as the rest or our counters, wood and marble). But this is not diy, and we are in suburban CT where nothing is reasonable!

We are not yet at the point of selection.

It will patina. Also know that some have health concerns about zinc.

Good luck.

• theresse
    13 years ago

I liked the idea of zinc SO much but was terrified of what my 3 boys would do to it (or their dad, or some friend who'd had too much wine at a party, etc!) so I did an extra-sturdy gauge stainless but made its wrap-around height a bit thinner (1 3/8"?) so it would look more like a zinc countertop might have looked in a butler's pantry a hundred years ago. It's not the same as zinc and won't have that amazing patina, but will still have that similar something - and all the scratches don't hurt the look. I know it's not the same but it's a decent substitute if paired with period materials like farm sinks, gooseneck faucets, etc.

Here's a pic below of the unfinished kitchen. There are finally nickel bin pulls and latches on and next week *hopefully* the white honed calacatta (2x6") subway tile backsplash will begin being installed. Sore subject (how long this kitchen has taken, considering it's only a partial remodel)!! I think the hanging pendant above the sink will help tie it all together too (black cloth-covered cord with nickel parts and a white glass cone shade).

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless countertop - attempting to imitate the zinc look

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I LOVE IT Theresse! The cabinet doors and hardware are great, too. bravo!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Mtndredux! Are you talking about the upper cabinets? They're the original 1913 cabinets and that black hardware was in when I moved in (until I saw a photo from the '40's, I thought they were original - but there used to be latches instead of knobs, and the latches were probably brass, and there were butterfly hinges too but they were probably not black). The lower cabs are new and have polished nickel hardware. I couldn't resist using it under that stainless counter and against that gray-green paint below. Even though they don't match the uppers, which will eventually be painted either the same gray or else cream.